FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Smuggler's Cove - "It's Beyond Tiki"
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Smuggler's Cove - "It's Beyond Tiki"
Shaun of theTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-02 7:57 pm   Permalink

I'd say that the Cove is best described as a pirate bar with a strong tiki element. There are displayed artifacts from Trader Vic's and Don the Beachcomber's, and about a third of the cocktails on the menu are tiki classics, BUT the bar is more dedicated to showcasing rum than tiki history.

I'll keep an eye out for that frozen margarita machine the next time I visit.

View Profile of Shaun of theTiki Send a personal message to Shaun of theTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-02 8:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-02 17:05, Jungle Trader wrote:
blah blah blah, Doesn't it say on the website that it's a Nautical Rum Bar? Nuff said.

CHEERS!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-02 11:11 pm   Permalink

JOHN-O!
Less thinking ~ More drinking

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-02 11:35 pm   Permalink

I echo the sentiments of JonPaul (we both experienced it for the first time together that past weekend)

My assessment :

Tiki Bar : yes

Nautical Themed Bar : yes

Gourmet Rum cocktail bar : yes - Martin's passion for mixology takes the "tiki cocktail" to a whole other level. One look at the menu, in which each drink gets a full paragraph description, will tell you this. More than decor or aesthetic, The Cove is about mixology.

Pirate Bar : Not as much as , say, The Redwood in downtown LA, but, Pirate maybe because many of the drinks are made with rum. But, pirates drank rum straight outta the bottle. There was no "mixology" in the lore of Pirates...Yo Ho Ho and a barrel of RUM....not Mai Tais.

Buffet : No f*cking way

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-02 11:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-02 23:11, Unga Bunga wrote:
JOHN-O!
Less thinking ~ More drinking

Yes, wiser words were never spoken. I'm drinking right now. Let me get in this last post for the evening...

Quote:

On 2010-02-02 15:55, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
When we refer to the "Buffett-ization of Tiki" we mean the watering-down of tiki...

Thanks for the clarification Sabu. I was never sure what that meant. I'm not really familiar with Jimmy Buffet or his music but I always figured he must be a very bad person to garner so much so dislike here on TC.

I always thought that meant he brought along a Caribbean aesthetic which watered down the Polynesian focus of classic Tiki. Given that Smuggler's Cove is name leaning more towards Caribbean history I incorrectly used the term in that context.

Now that I'm sitting here I can see that the real misunderstanding has to do with the general public's confusion of Nautical-style with Pirate-style.

I blame it on Disney.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-02-03 08:31 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-02 11:57 pm   Permalink

So John-O are you drunk posting again?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-03 12:04 am   Permalink

I'm not drunk off-shur !!

Dish es my Tiki cul-shur.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-02-03 08:29 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-03 03:35 am   Permalink

I have never even heard of a pirate bar.

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2010-02-03 03:35 ]

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-03 04:50 am   Permalink

http://thepirateshouse.com/

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-03 06:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-02 19:57, Shaun of theTiki wrote:
I'd say that the Cove is best described as a pirate bar with a strong tiki element.

I don't get it, why does "pirate" still enter the discussion? I thought I pointed out above that SMUGGLER is a completely different job description than PIRATE. Or do you remember any smuggling going on in the "Pirates of the Carribean" movies? And this is NOT splitting hairs: This IS a discussion about style concepts and their meaning. Pirate stuff is child's play, the "Smuggler" concept is a much more adult form of ...playing. And it is much more RUM-, and thus Tiki-related.

Just because the media and blogosphere cannot differentiate the meaning of a theme concept does not mean we have to buy into it.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-03 08:28 am   Permalink

Bigbro raises a good point, understanding the difference between pirates and traders/smugglers. I wish I understood this better a month ago. It would have prevented a very serious social faux pas.

I was invited to this party in Venice. The place was heavily decorated with a nautical theme and the host was dressed in what I assumed was pirate wear. At first I thought this was pretty weird but hey it was Venice.

After several beers, I jokingly asked the host where his parrot was. He responded "What do you mean parrot?" I said "Don't all pirates have parrots?". He then glared at me with looks to kill and responded:

"I am NOT a pirate. I sir, am a TRADER !!"

I was really confused since I thought he was saying "traitor".

At any rate he was pissed off for the rest of the evening which killed the party. Everyone was mad at me.

On a lighter note, Caribbean elements can mesh well with Tiki-style. Check out Tawnya serving up the Tropicals at Frankie's Tiki Room. I think she looks pretty hot in that "wench" outfit. (Technically that might be a Bavarian dress but I think you get my point.)

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-02-03 08:39 ]

CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-03 09:57 am   Permalink

I've read a lot of those same Yelp reviews, and they seem to be by people who are expecting a Disney-like Pirates of the Caribbean ride, and who also seem very upset that they can't get a Bud Light, Appletini, or jell-o shot.
Let them be disappointed and not ever come back.
More room for the rest of us!

As for drinks... the Bombo is soooo good, as is the Three Dots and A Dash... but the real star for me was the Jet Pilot. That thing has so many exquisite layers to it, that it left me pretty speechless.
"Can't talk... drinking."

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-03 10:03 am   Permalink

TIKI ?

You tell ME....

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-03 10:24 am   Permalink

OK, this discussion is getting old (as is the Trader Vic's thread)

The final consensus on SC is just GO.....

Check out Woofmutt's new thread. Now he's got his priorities right.....

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=35395&forum=13&1

Can you mock a mocker? Yes, yes you can.

And that guy in the middle in the picture above? He looks like a pirate to me !! Real Tikiphiles should be clean-shaven as was the style during the time. Only beatniks and communists wore beards then.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-02-03 10:34 ]

Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-03 11:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-03 06:18, bigbrotiki wrote:
"I don't get it, why does "pirate" still enter the discussion? I thought I pointed out above that SMUGGLER is a completely different job description than PIRATE..."

Rum-running,
From Wikipedia, so it's got to be true!
Quote:

"It wasn't long after the first taxes on alcoholic beverages that someone began to smuggle them . . . Pirates often made extra money running rum to heavily taxed colonies."
(emphasis added)

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation