FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Music » » Does Anyone Know Any Canadian Tiki Music?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Does Anyone Know Any Canadian Tiki Music?
Dr. Zarkov
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-16 10:39 pm   Permalink

In the last couple of days we've learned that for some unaccountable reason they have been playing Fairfax Public Access/WEBR radio over the loudspeakers at the Olympic Village in Vancouver. Why they have chosen our public access broadcasts from here in northern Virginia to play out there the people at our station haven't figured out yet, but does anyone have any suggestions for some possible Canadian Tiki music I could play on my show, Dr. Zarkov's Tiki Lounge, Wednesday at 5 p.m. Eastern Time?

View Profile of Dr. Zarkov Send a personal message to Dr. Zarkov      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-16 10:53 pm   Permalink

I got nothing? may I suggest some classic Punk Rock, Vibrators, Dead Boys, First Clash LP?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-17 12:15 am   Permalink

The Mai Tai Orchestra

Google them

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-17 05:49 am   Permalink

One of Jeff's favorites, Jimmy Namaro. His most exotica LP is "Driftwood."
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=U1ARTU0002531

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Zarkov
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-17 05:51 am   Permalink

His work sounds cool. Unfortunately, I don't have anything by him in my personal collection.

Do you know of anyone who might be Canadian but who is part of a band rather than known as a soloist or leader, like Waitiki or the Ventures?

Quote:

On 2010-02-17 05:49, tabuzak wrote:
One of Jeff's favorites, Jimmy Namaro. His most exotica LP is "Driftwood."
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=U1ARTU0002531

[ This Message was edited by: Dr. Zarkov 2010-02-17 05:52 ]

View Profile of Dr. Zarkov Send a personal message to Dr. Zarkov      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-17 05:56 am   Permalink

The "Driftwood" LP is not that easy to find, but I think you can download it (for free) on the Internet. I would Google it. This is one of those few times when you could feel justified doing a free download. There isn't really an alternative and the music should be heard and played.

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-17 06:11 am   Permalink

"The Latin Touch of Jimmy Namaro" has some exotica tracks on it too, not as many as "Driftwood," but a good album nonetheless. That one pops up on ebay pretty regularly. Hopefully, if listeners become more aware of Namaro's work, proper re-issues would become viable.

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-17 06:23 am   Permalink

There are a total of 7 Jimmy Namaro albums that I am aware of. All of them have Exotica tracks on them. There might be a couple CTL (Canadian Talent Library) albums out there as well. I have one of them but these are extremely elusive.

I could send you some tracks if needed Dr. Zarkov.

The only other artist I know that borders on Exotica but is mostly jazz oriented is Peter Appleyard. He was born in the UK and then his family moved to Canada.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-17 06:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-17 06:11, tabuzak wrote:
Hopefully, if listeners become more aware of Namaro's work, proper re-issues would become viable.

Ditto!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Zarkov
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-17 09:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-17 00:15, tikiyaki wrote:
The Mai Tai Orchestra

Google them

They look fascinating, although I can't read French.

tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-18 10:44 am   Permalink

Hey Jeff,

Any chance we could get you to post a Jimmy Namaro discography and point out the exotica tracks? I have only seen mention of Driftwood, With Mallets A Four Thought, The Latin Touch of Jimmy Namaro, and Plays Middle Road Jazz At The Westbury.

Thanks,

Jack

[ This Message was edited by: tabuzak 2010-02-18 10:53 ]

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-18 11:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-18 10:44, tabuzak wrote:
Hey Jeff,

Any chance we could get you to post a Jimmy Namaro discography and point out the exotica tracks? I have only seen mention of Driftwood, With Mallets A Four Thought, The Latin Touch of Jimmy Namaro, and Plays Middle Road Jazz At The Westbury.

Thanks,

Jack

[ This Message was edited by: tabuzak 2010-02-18 10:53 ]

Ask and ye shall receive!

I will post in a seperate thread sometime this weekend.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Central 2010-02-18 11:37 ]

John in Montreal
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-19 04:45 am   Permalink

Jimmy Namaro's Driftwood is a great LP... "from the heart of Toronto, a caressing South Seas breeze..."

I too would love to dig up some of his other material...

As for the Mai Tai Orchestra, they are a current band from Montreal... fun, good-timey hapa haole sounds. Don't worry about not understanding the French liner notes (a fake bio of their "musical director" and a few brief paragraphs about the band and the song choices) + a few cocktail recipes I provided (and those are in English!).

View Profile of John in Montreal Send a personal message to John in Montreal  Email John in Montreal Goto the website of John in Montreal     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-22 09:17 am   Permalink

as promised............

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=35598&forum=11&0

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-22 12:35 pm   Permalink

The Malihini Boys!

http://www.malihiniboys.ca/

Here's a clip of their music:
Henehene Kou ‘Aka.mp3 (clip)

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation