FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Favorite drink from the Grog Log?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Favorite drink from the Grog Log?
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-17 2:34 pm   Permalink

It will be a thrilling countdown this weekend in Palm Springs, to see if "INTOXICA" (Grog Log II) will be shipped as scheduled from the printer on that very Saturday!
Hope Jeff won't have to go thru the experience I had at the Kahiki closing party, when the very first BOTs had made it to Ohio, but were held in customs. He would have to get drunk over it on local bartender's concoctions...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-18 01:40 am   Permalink

Well, I think people tend to forget that we are all scattered around the world here, and that what may be plentiful in one place can be a rarity in others. In mixology, often the 'next best thing' has to suffice, so it's very useful for people to give alternatives to key ingredients. I'd rather try an approximation of a cocktail than no cocktail at all.

We all know that for a true <insert cocktail name here> you need everything mentioned in the recipe down to the brand names, but that just may not be possible due to your geography, as Woofmutt has previously mentioned. In California/Florida, you'd be a fool not to use fresh citrus fruit, but where I live we have apple trees.....

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2002-06-18 11:15 am   Permalink

True there are several hard to find ingredients. I had a friend who went to Barbados a few years ago and he brought back two bottles of Falernum, which I hoard like treasure. The company that makes Falernum syrup in the US: does anyone know if it contains alcohol? Because real Falernum is about 7 or 8%.

The fresh juice does make a big difference. I have this juicer from Williams-Sonoma that was about $125 (Acme [believe it or not] is the brand name.) and it has something like a 300 hp Chevy V8 in it. Juices like a terror.

One of the things about limes here in California is that they frequently suck when they're out of season. We get two good batches- December and June, from Florida and Mexico, and in between they can be very dry.

I like most of the grog log drinks, except ones with Pernod, as that flavor does me wrong. I like the Hurricane recipe actually- easy to remember and perfect balance.

I've been making this great daquiri at home- the recipe came from the now gone Windows on the World restaurant. I can't remember exactly right now, but I'm pretty sure its:

2 oz white rum
1 to 1.5 oz fresh lime
.5 oz simple syrup
.5 oz Sprite
1 egg white

shake vigorously with ice and strain into martini glass. Wonderfully simple, with a great fizz quality from the egg.

-martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-08 08:47 am   Permalink

Here is one of my fav drinks from Grog Log,the Sidewinder`s Fang.

SIDEWINGER`S FANG: Dark jamaican rum, Demerara rum, Fresh Lime Juice,Passionfruit syrup,Club Soda..

[ This Message was edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2008-06-08 09:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Little fragrant Tiare 2008-06-08 12:26 ]

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-11 2:11 pm   Permalink

I just had one of these the other night at Forbidden Island. They served it in a goblet instead of a pilsner glass, but it was excellent.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chinarose
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-06 2:25 pm   Permalink

I've liked every recipe I've made from the Grog Log, but so far my favorites are Painkiller, Mai Tai and Suffering Bastard. I just wish the Grog Log was printed on waterproof paper. The spiral binding is great, though.

View Profile of Chinarose Send a personal message to Chinarose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-07 11:12 pm   Permalink

I'm up to 66 drinks from Grog Log, almost everything except the hot drinks, party punches and non-alcoholic. Of the three Beachbum books it was the easiest to find all the ingredients for.

I'd highly recommend: Gone the Beachcomber, Headhunter, Pieces of Eight, Planter's Punch, Tahitian, Astro Aku Aku, Chief Lapu Lapu, Hurricane, Missionary's Downfall, Rum Runner, Sidewinder's Fang, Spindrift and Port Light.

Also worth your time are: Don's Daiquiri, Kapu Kai, Palace Court, Red Tide, Blackbeard's Ghost, Captain's Grog, Mai Tai, Navy Grog, Oceanic Punch, Planet of the Apes, Q.B. Cooler, Shrunken Skull, Tortuga, Trader Vic Grog, Boo Loo, Coronado Luau Special, Fog Cutter, Hawaii Kai Treasure, Painkiller, Polynesian Paralysis, Tasman Sea, Royal Hawaiian and Trade Wind Cocktail.

I'm starting to get a hankering for one of these now. Time to go fire up the shaker.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quiet Village Idiot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-01 02:44 am   Permalink

I like the Navy Grog and the Suffering Bastard. The wahine prefers the Pieces of Eight. We both like Don's Daiquiri. The Ciro's Special and the Red Tide are also pretty tasty, come to think of it.

View Profile of Quiet Village Idiot Send a personal message to Quiet Village Idiot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 12:53 pm   Permalink

Well after ten years of the Grog Log and varous recipes? (except for the ones calling for pimento liquor, tried making a dram, try being the operative word)
So my favorite was and still is the Mai Tai. The $100.00 Mai Tai can't be beat.

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-14 10:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-06-17 10:17, woofmutt wrote:
Skip the plastic limes. ________ (name not known) makes a bottled key lime juce that's unsweetened and easily located in most grocers. Or you can do as Vic did in ye days of olde and squeeze ahead (he claimed they had a guy whose only job was squeezing fresh juice). For a party just squeeze up a whole lotta juice. For yourself you can keep it in the fridge for...Do some testing and see how long it keeps (something of a personal preference as it's certain flavor notes that diminish first). Or make premeasured frozen juice cubes (say a 3 T cube). Double bagged and kept in a clean smelling freezer you'll be fine for...(again, personal, as long as it doesn't taste like salmon) and it's a lot better than bottled.

We planted 4 fruit trees in our backyard a few years ago (lemon, lime, orange and grapefruit) to provide us with an organic, inexpensive, convenient and endless supply.

Favorites besides our default drink the Mai Tai Pieces of Eight is really refreshing and since I love Pina Colada the Aurora Bora Borealis is fun! Trader Vic Grog Rocks! and my other fav classic is the Hurricane but these is just this weeks pics...

View Profile of KuKu Send a personal message to KuKu  Email KuKu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-19 3:11 pm   Permalink

Test Pilot:

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-19 3:13 pm   Permalink

Shrunken Skull:

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-19 3:20 pm   Permalink

Mango Cooler:

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-02 7:37 pm   Permalink

Eastern Sour:

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-03 8:35 pm   Permalink

Thanks for sharing these great pictures, everything looks delicious.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation