FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Outdoor Tiki Bar in Planning Stage
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Outdoor Tiki Bar in Planning Stage
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-22 8:49 pm   Permalink

I know I've been dormant on the crafting/carving front for some time now. I moved last summer into a "fixer upper" and ALL of my time has been dedicated to that task. I still have a LONG LONG way to go but decided to start planning my outdoor poolside hut. Here is the early stage of the scale model im building. This thread will be a slow build and I will update it as I make progress.

The scale of the lumber isnt accurate here.. Im thiking 4x6 posts and crossbeams. 4x8 or 4x10 top beam with 2x6 rafters.

This will be 12 feet wide and 10 feet deep. If the model is accurate then the top beam will be about 15 feet high at its peak.

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman 2010-02-23 09:33 ]

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-23 08:33 am   Permalink

You are gonna transform that space,Derek!
glad to see you finally starting this
in FULL FORCE!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-23 08:47 am   Permalink

Glad to see you jumping in on that WONDERFUL space you have there Derek

Building a quick scaled down model of what I wanted to build for my daughters wedding alter really helped me quite a lot prior to building to the real deal. Please post progress when you can. Your on the right path...Here's a pic from a past post of mine...

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-23 08:55 am   Permalink

Babalu,

Thats an awesome model. Ive got some engineering issues to work through and thought the model would help. Ive got a lot more building to do on it.

One issue Im trying to address is how to support a double pitch roof. In this model Ive started the primary pitch but want to have a second smaller roofline jutting off the lower edge of the main roof. Im not sure how to support it. Its probably going to be about 24" deep with a 30% angle to it.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-23 09:16 am   Permalink

Don't put that steep pitch roof on top of a square box. Bring your roof beams to the ground and use good old strong triangles all the way. You won't need anything but a "stop" to keep the beams in place. Inside you then get some extra space low down on the wall for display or whatever, but most importantly, you get an open roof. No cross beams all the way up. And if you want to have some verticle space for hanging stuff, you can add interior walls for that.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-23 09:32 am   Permalink

Unfortunately the location I am building this hut wont work with the roofline going to the ground. Half of this hut will sit on posts (like a deck) and the other half will sit on the edge of a patio slab.

Im building the roofline ontop of a square box so that I have maximum space inside it.

I will be using some horizontal ties across the rafters to reduce outward force on the walls. I appreciate your insight Swanky.

Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-23 11:20 pm   Permalink

a little progress tonight

TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-24 07:12 am   Permalink

Yay! Model builders!! I like this post

I love to see projects from concept (model) to finish. Definitely inspiring to those of us still in the planning stages too.

Can't wait for all of your upcoming progress photos. Thanks for posting so far.

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-24 08:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-23 23:20, Monkeyman wrote:

How do you expect us to drink if we cant even fit in the building????

(Sorry I just watched Zoolander and hopefully you know the reference!)

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-24 08:30 am   Permalink

the School for kids who cant read so good?

leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-24 08:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-24 08:30, Monkeyman wrote:
the School for kids who cant read so good?

YES! Monkeyman for the win!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Zen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-24 09:58 am   Permalink

Here's what I did:

View Profile of Tiki Zen Send a personal message to Tiki Zen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-24 10:33 am   Permalink

That is SO cool!!!

Im still figuring out optimal engineering of the roofline...

thats a big space...

skootiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-25 6:20 pm   Permalink

those are some great pics........any more out there?

View Profile of skootiki Send a personal message to skootiki  Email skootiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-25 6:30 pm   Permalink

You should videotape your construction process and put it in your TC documentary.

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation