FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-13 2:19 pm   Permalink

Tikisgrl,

That is quite a collection of colors.

This Clam Shell Scorpion bowl is featured on the menus from the Islands at the Hanalei Hotel in San Diego on Mimi Payne's website. A bit different than the one posted by Kohalacharms and is not the Frankoma Clam Shell.

Anybody seen one of these??

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-13 2:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-11 20:46, LOL Tiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-03-11 15:58, 1961surf wrote:
Could this possibly be the Trader Vics Honolulu Tapa Punch mug ?
I was outbid on this today .

[ This Message was edited by: 1961surf 2010-03-11 16:07 ]

Me too. Very cool mug!

I am still hoping that someone knows a little bit more about this petroglyph mug.
Very cool relief design and nice glaze as well.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JONPAUL
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-14 9:15 pm   Permalink

Here's another example of a mug seen on a menu that does in fact exist.

Apparently, the Islands at the Hanalei used to serve their Fog Cutter in this guy...(mug from our collection, menu image from Arkiva Tropika)

FIBERGLASS JUNGLE on Luxuria

View Profile of JONPAUL Send a personal message to JONPAUL  Goto the website of JONPAUL     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JONPAUL
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-14 9:31 pm   Permalink

And here's an interesting example of a wood grain vessel that we have in our collection...

FIBERGLASS JUNGLE on Luxuria

View Profile of JONPAUL Send a personal message to JONPAUL  Goto the website of JONPAUL     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-18 12:24 am   Permalink

To further wet the appetites of Brit-tiki crypto-mug hunters,behold these rare glimpses of the lost mugs of the "Mayfair Beachcomber"...

First a lovely shot of the cruet set in action (note the logo plates)..

..a larger image of the flaming grog mugs and the tops of other mugs (note the distinctive tops on the partially obscured mugs) ...

..and the branded glasses, also possibly to the left a ceramic shell bowl?

Finally the most intriguing of all the images, on the bar between the couple is another mug, which lacks the distinctive top of the mugs on the trolley, but also notice that hidden behind the letters T and O is a blurry image of yet another mug.

Oh Mayfair Beachcomber you are the Atlantis of Brit-tiki!

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-19 12:47 am   Permalink

Here's a back page from the menu for Delmonico's in Mexico, which I posted elsewhere. But I've always been curious about that drinking vessel for the Kon-Tiki drink. I can't tell what it's supposed to be (a hat?), and of course wonder if any such thing exists.

With the whimsical nature of the illos on this menu, there's less of a case for the existence of real-world counterparts. Anyway, kind of a "crypto" mug for me nonetheless.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-19 07:18 am   Permalink

"With the whimsical nature of the illos on this menu, there's less of a case for the existence of real-world counterparts."

I've encountered (but never bought) the Jamaica Bamboo mug several times:

It's made from a piece of bamboo with woodburned designs. I assumed they were from Jamaica and would guess the hotel used mugs made for use in Jamaica.

This vessel:

Looks like one of those 1950s fiberglass planters/cache pots in a metal stand filled with ice and a container for the booze nested in the ice. (The drink is meant for four people and the image implies the metal stand is sitting on the floor.)

As someone pointed out above the artist renderings on these various menus usually stuck close to the actual mug designs. Based on that and known existence of other vessels on the Delmonico's menu I'd say the Kon-Tiki mug probably existed.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-19 08:56 am   Permalink

Interesting, yeah it seems reasonable that these could exist. I wonder how big the planter-style "Last Will and Testament" was - that would be amazing if they cart out a floorstanding vessel.

In that case, I wonder if some of these other neato looking vessels from the same menu may have existed too. The "Popocatepetl" volcano bowl rendering looks really cool. Not to mention the Depth Charge and the Smuggler, which appear to be adaptations of the same mug. Or the Jibaro (shrunken head?).

Sorry if I'm doing too much cross-posting with these images.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-19 11:17 am   Permalink

Randy,

Those are some great graphics on the menu, would be nice to see some of the real mugs.

Need to add this Kava Bowl from the Beachcomber at the May Fair Hotel in London to the Crypto mug list. This picture came from a video shot at the Beachcomber.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-03-19 6:55 pm   Permalink

Great additions, Everyone.

KC - thanks for showing the two variations of that Shell Bowl.

Cool Manchu - thanks for the example of the Pino Frio

Jonpaul - really like your version of the Fogcutter. I've always thought that the "woodgrain" design on these mugs might have actually been meant to represent swirling fog, but hard to tell on the simplistic Spurlin version. Your highly detailed mug looks even more like fog to me than wood.

atomictonytiki & DC - thanks for taking the time to do all those Beachcomber screen captures for us from the old Pathe films.

Aquarj - Those mug illustrations from Delmonicos are great! I'd love to find some of the garnishes too - like that dangling voodoo doll pick on the Chi-Capicha. That fiberglass bullet-planter is a great way to serve a drink! I hear they used to use them as ice buckets sometimes, so it would be the next logical step to nestle a drinking vessel in the ice. I think it would have stood on the floor as the style pictured were approx 30" tall - perfect for sipping from a chair.

You can order modern reproductions of these classic planters from several sources, including this site:

http://www.hiphaven.com/Pages/A_Retro_Bullet_Planter.html

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-20 06:41 am   Permalink

Starting at the top:

Octopus

Fogcutter

Peeping Tom

Pina???

Tonga

Tiki Liki?

Chi Chi

Hot Buttered Rum?

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-20 11:32 am   Permalink

Back when I started buying Tiki mugs I skipped buying several of those Hawaii Vic's mugs (cheap) due to limited space and because I thought they were so damned ugly.

Regrets aside, back to Delmonico's...

Notice the bottom of the Kon-Tiki "mug" and the bottom of the vessel the Banana Calyspo is served in:

I wonder if this is some sort of plate or saucer. In the case of the Kon-Tiki it looks like the drink could be served in a pineapple that has been peeled and trimmed in a conical shape and then set in the saucer.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-20 4:59 pm   Permalink

WOW! Swanky, are those all yours?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-20 11:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-20 11:32, woofmutt wrote:

I wonder if this is some sort of plate or saucer. In the case of the Kon-Tiki it looks like the drink could be served in a pineapple that has been peeled and trimmed in a conical shape and then set in the saucer.

Actually I think this line of thinking about the saucer makes the most sense. Another person made the suggestion independently that the cone-ish thing may well be an ice cone. Apparently there's at least one TVics that still serves drinks that way. Seems like it has the potential to be a big mess for especially deliberative drinkers, so the tray would need to have at least a little volume like that. But woof - your shaped pineapple idea also has a peel, I mean appeal.

So maybe it's not a hat! Maybe it's not a crypto-mug, but a cryo-mug. Or a pino-mug.

-Randy

(sorry if "woof" is getting too familiar with the name, it's kinda fun how that sounds in a sentence)

[ This Message was edited by: aquarj 2010-03-21 00:05 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-21 12:30 am   Permalink

Guys, maybe this might help: http://www.quizland.com/hiero.htm

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation