FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-21 3:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-20 16:59, Big Kahuna wrote:
WOW! Swanky, are those all yours?

No. They are from the
Tiki Daze project. Shot other people's collections.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-22 4:36 pm   Permalink

Here's one for the scrapbook.

It's an interesting item, a supposed prototype from Hoffman Ceramics. I have to think it is "crypto" in theory even if the Idol's Cast is reasonbly well documented and collected. I have never seen it before, and I never knew anything like it existed. I'm really not quite sure what to make of it. From this little acorn grew the Kahiki Idol's Cast mug:

It's on the auction block right now, do check it out via the link below. I suspect it will go for some rather serious money. I'd bid but I am saving my extra cash for a ride on the Space Shuttle. Have at it, you mug weirdos.

The question to everyone's answer is usually asked from within

Some people call me the space cowboy,
midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-22 5:19 pm   Permalink

My contribution to this thread:

I'm sure this isn't the right bowl, but I think it captures the spirit:

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-24 1:41 pm   Permalink

Swanky wrote:

Swanky's photo (above) is the "Tonga" mug I have always thought of when I see the Honolulu Vic's menu. Now, I see this mug (below) listed on that evil auction site and I suppose it is the Tonga. It just looks a bit different to my untrained dilettante eye. I recall a different maker for "Swanky's Tonga mug", was it PP or Louie B? I have got to start paying better attention.

If one is so inclined, one may bid on the above mentioned mug via this link:

It's been six months she hasn't shut up once

That glaze on the latter mug is familiar. I recall some mugs from Hawaii that I once owned which had a simlar glaze, but they were most cetainly not Vic's pieces. Just free associating here folks, no charge.

I am not a mug weirdo,
midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Troll
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-24 2:11 pm   Permalink

might be a long shot but this thing has always stumped me and it looks alot like the picture. It has a weird marking on the bottom I can't quite make out too.

View Profile of Tiki-Troll Send a personal message to Tiki-Troll  Email Tiki-Troll     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-03-24 2:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-24 14:11, Tiki-Troll wrote:

might be a long shot but this thing has always stumped me and it looks alot like the picture. It has a weird marking on the bottom I can't quite make out too.

I think they're close enough to call it a match. Let's look at them side by side:

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Troll
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-24 2:39 pm   Permalink

Woohoo! It was one of those things I wasn't quite sure why I was getting (I like seashells enough but I don't really have a shortage of planters in the house) but it called to me. I must have some sort of internal libations vessel radar.

View Profile of Tiki-Troll Send a personal message to Tiki-Troll  Email Tiki-Troll     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-24 2:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-24 14:32, Hakalugi wrote:
I think they're close enough to call it a match. Let's look at them side by side:

I looked at the same thing and came up with the exact opposite conclusion: Not even close!

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Troll
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-24 2:56 pm   Permalink

I have to admit I am still a little mixed. The opening is a little more center than the photo, but at the same time, its the right size and the curve is right. It never felt like a planter to me, but it had not occured to me that it might be a mug either. if it helps it is marked 1967 Zenith Hanak TM A?? Japan in what looks like a mark that would come from a factory and not a home shop. Don't put that mark in the gospel though because its so hard to read that I could be off on a couple letters.

it does make me think that if it wasn't THAT mug, that it might have been used as a drinking vessel .

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-24 4:29 pm   Permalink

Switching gears a little, this one is a Reverse Crypto mug puzzle. The Blue Hawaii mug is not too rare, I have one and it can still be found out there.

The question is, what restaurant made it? The possibilities so far are the Blue Hawaii in Nashville, TN, the Blue Hawaii in Wildwood, NJ, and a new contender the Blue Hawaii in Louisville, KY. Need to find the menu instead of the mug to solve this one.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-24 6:20 pm   Permalink

Aaahhh! To think I was about 20 min. too late in findings those 4 TV mugs at the swapmeet

http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-trader-vic-tiki-mug-honolulu-vics-hawaiian_W0QQitemZ350324616014QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5190f96b4e

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350320877185&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-trader-vic-tiki-mug-honolulu-vics-hawaiian_W0QQitemZ350332283978QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item51916e6c4a

http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-trader-vic-tiki-mug-honolulu-vics-hawaiian_W0QQitemZ360246457062QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53e05cb2e6

Got a couple of Pinos, a Catamaran, Tonga and TikiLiki...wish I could locate the Hot buttered Rum mugs that are hiding somewhere here...

The Pinos are marked as follows...

Aloha

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-24 7:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-24 14:48, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-03-24 14:32, Hakalugi wrote:

I looked at the same thing and came up with the exact opposite conclusion: Not even close!

Buzzy Out!

I'm thinkimg no, too, but it's possible.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kohalacharms
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-03-24 11:07 pm   Permalink

As previously alluded to, there are many pieces out there that have yet to be located within a drink menu. I suspect that they may have been used either for a very short duration secondary to manufacturing cost or perhaps they were prototypes that were never put into production. I understand there were approximately 30 different pieces produced by Daga (PP) for Trader Vic's over the years. I've only come across or seen about half that number thus far.

A scorpion bowl used by the Honolulu Trader Vic's; manufacturer Polynesian Pottery

View Profile of kohalacharms Send a personal message to kohalacharms      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-24 11:14 pm   Permalink

Jeez, they really had that "primitive", naive look down there in Honululu!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-25 04:58 am   Permalink

I thought I saw something peeking out on the bottom Thats what she said

I've only seen 2 others and am pretty sure that more TV Honolulu mugs will be included in Phil's Waikiki Tiki book. I'm not sure of the lineage of this ,but it looks to be from the same family...

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation