FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-25 07:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-24 23:07, kohalacharms wrote:

A scorpion bowl used by the Honolulu Trader Vic's; manufacturer Polynesian Pottery

GAD! I wonder how many times I've passed up something like this thinking it was just a child's first attempt at pottery.

Live and learn.

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-25 08:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-24 13:41, midnite wrote:
Swanky wrote:

Swanky's photo (above) is the "Tonga" mug I have always thought of when I see the Honolulu Vic's menu. Now, I see this mug (below) listed on that evil auction site and I suppose it is the Tonga. It just looks a bit different to my untrained dilettante eye. I recall a different maker for "Swanky's Tonga mug", was it PP or Louie B? I have got to start paying better attention.

If one is so inclined, one may bid on the above mentioned mug via this link:

It's been six months she hasn't shut up once

That glaze on the latter mug is familiar. I recall some mugs from Hawaii that I once owned which had a simlar glaze, but they were most cetainly not Vic's pieces. Just free associating here folks, no charge.

I am not a mug weirdo,
midnite

did some of the more known mugs get glazed like this as years past?? I Picked up a pair of parrot mugs that look just like the OMC mugs but in a similar type glaze but in yellow and brown. The bottoms are left rough like these, and the logo is unreadable.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=35751&forum=5&3
got me stumped

[ This Message was edited by: ka'lenatiki 2010-03-25 08:08 ]

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-25 11:58 am   Permalink

Do you happen to have a pict of the unreadable bottom?

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-25 8:33 pm   Permalink

got it

not real clear. I can just make out "ceramic" on one, and "mfg. co, ave & 5502" on the other

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kohalacharms
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-03-29 1:13 pm   Permalink

This week's contribution:
Polynesian Pottery's precursor or prototype to the more commonly found Trader Vic's (Honolulu) Octopus mug:

Original Octopus mug (green)depicted in menu

Less common Octopus mug (brown version)

View Profile of kohalacharms Send a personal message to kohalacharms      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-31 11:01 pm   Permalink

Nice!!

Did you see what that Tonga went for??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360246457062&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

$332.77

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-01 10:12 am   Permalink

Of coarse he did KC bought it!

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-01 10:22 am   Permalink

THis is an AMAZING thread!!! Keep up the great work guys

I have a photo of THE Luau 400 bowl! It actually exists. I've never seen one in person, but several years ago (7 or , someone sold one on ebay and it was purchased for around $400 (how appropriate). It looks nothing like the drawing in the menu except that it is a rounded traingle shape with the Luau 400 logo mask at each "point". It doesn't look like a cocktail bowl though, it looks more like a condiment bowl. I'll dig out the photo I snacked from the auction and post it.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-01 10:26 am   Permalink

THanks so much to kohalacharms for posting photos of some of his outstanding collection!!!

There is another cryptid that I would like to inquire about: The Kim's Kon Tiki bowl. In all my travels and talk to Tucson people, there has never been a mention of the bowl from when Mr. Kim owned the Kon Tiki in Tucson, AZ. Yet I remember seeing it somewhere and can't recall. Does anyone know if that exists or not?

Also, some of these crypto mugs would be a fun project for current mug makers to recreate, or in most cases, create these mugs/bowls based on the menu drawings. It would be fun to own a mug that may never have existed but should have at some point in history.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki

Posted: 2010-04-03 8:26 pm   Permalink

here's another trader vics mug i haven't seen before . it's made by terra -ceramics hawaii

[ This Message was edited by: ron-tiki 2010-04-04 10:31 ]

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki

Posted: 2010-04-03 8:32 pm   Permalink

here's one i've only seen one other of owned by tiki kate.

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-03 9:22 pm   Permalink

I love this thread! Those pieces are great - I hadn't seen them before. Terra Ceramics also produced bowls and mugs for the Kahala Hilton and the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz

Posted: 2010-04-04 12:12 am   Permalink

Wow I love that four faced Ku design... Is that also a "terra" design?
Very cool...

"TikiPop" On Instagram

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki

Posted: 2010-04-04 08:24 am   Permalink

hawaiian village mug-terra-ceramics.

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-04 09:33 am   Permalink

That mug looks a lot like this plate:

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation