FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
TennesseeTiki

Posted: 2010-04-04 6:57 pm   Permalink

Love this thread. I don't know if this mug is crypto or not but so far nobody has been able to help me ID it.

Now I see JONPAUL has it on the menu at the Islands at Hanalei serving a fog cutter and HOUSE OF KU has it in a picture with other mugs from Vic's but not identified. Who made it and where else was it used? Mine has additional nose markings but otherwise looks like those pictured.
TT

View Profile of TennesseeTiki Send a personal message to TennesseeTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-04 7:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-03 20:32, ron-tiki wrote:
here's one i've only seen one other of owned by tiki kate.

I've seen this in a different glaze. Black and white.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
54 house of bamboo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-04-12 05:45 am   Permalink

I have really enjoyed coming back over and over to this thread.

Quote:

On 2010-03-22 17:19, Big Kahuna wrote:
My contribution to this thread:

I have this, it's close but unequivocally an ashtray - and of British origin however with careful use of garnish

The Stevenson Wedding Mug by Cheekytiki, 2006

View Profile of 54 house of bamboo Send a personal message to 54 house of bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-21 10:01 am   Permalink

In the "menu leads to mug", and "menu image is really a painting of a unique mug and not an artists meanering" catagories:

The drink menu from The Luau Atlanta, the Dinkler version.

The Fog Cutter mug:

Gives some hope that the blue tepco style bowl may be out there somewhere marked Luau Atlanta.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-21 10:47 am   Permalink

Well, doing research shows me this is pretty much the same mug used at Trader Vic's, so, not unique to The Luau...

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-22 3:04 pm   Permalink

Swanky,
Never-the-less, a great score on the Luau Fog Cutters.

Randy posted this picture of a mug from the Trader Vic's in Honolulu, it is not the same as the one I posted earlier. Anybody seen this one??

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki

Posted: 2010-04-27 8:06 pm   Permalink

clam bowl

mystery cup?

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-28 10:35 pm   Permalink

They also had this custom-printed bamboo glass

Sabu posted this earlier. And I bought these 4 mugs today. Saw them yesterday at an antique mall, came home, and looked them up here. Horrified, I charged back in this morning and realized that they even had the original swizzels in them, all pristine. The price tag said $60.00 for the 4 but they evidently had been sitting there so long they had been marked down to $40.00.

Are these the mugs that Tipsy said were quickly phased out because of concerns from the health department? Does anyone have any more information on the manufacturer? Are these even the one's from the menu or just some reproduction?

View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-29 09:18 am   Permalink

I would say those are original. I have never heard of a reproduction and you'd have to find a bamboo "glass" to start with, which is not easy.

Now, are you parting with the extra 3?

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

Sabu The Coconut Boy

Posted: 2010-04-30 5:59 pm   Permalink

SuperEight - Those are a fantasitic find! Congrats.

The original swizzles, (which would be worthless if found alone), probably up the value of the set considerably.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-30 6:56 pm   Permalink

Man, I always wondered 'bout those weird swizzle sticks in the menu...so they're just ...twigs?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-30 10:17 pm   Permalink

Yea the swizzels are just....twigs. Wicker chair type twigs with a few sharp prongs on the end. I absolutely could not believe that one was sitting in all four of these mugs, each in perfect condition. I guess thats why I was concerned at first that they were reproductions. I was just about pleading with the antique lady to tell me their story. How on earth did 4 of these mugs get to California and make it into the store with the sticks intact? Out of context the swizzels could not be any less impressive. Why would anyone but a collector keep them together? But there they were. Sadly she had no information for me.

Does anyone have a rough time period for these mugs?

View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitucson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-02 4:45 pm   Permalink

I have a few of the bamboo mugs (also with swizzles) that I inherited from my aunt, along with about six of the black moai mugs. She moved to Vegas in the mid-60s and said she frequented the Aku Aku into the mid 70s. She thinks the bamboo mugs were some of the first ones they took home but couldn't be completely certain.

I wonder if the menu collectors here could help? I have a set of menus from (I think) the late 60's and the bamboo mugs/swizzles are still pictured.

View Profile of tikitucson Send a personal message to tikitucson      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-12 6:03 pm   Permalink

This looks a bit like the ron-tiki handle mug......less handle....more nose bone

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki

Posted: 2010-05-12 6:40 pm   Permalink

bongofury--that mug of yours definitely looks like mine all the way down to the blotchy glaze and check on the forehead.any info???

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation