FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 7:13 pm   Permalink

I'd like to offer some Canadian menus for the crypto-mug search. I just got back from a trip to Regina, Saskatchewan, hoping to find a trace of this Ky-Tiki place:

(courtesy of Arkiva Tropika)
Unfortunately, I didn't find anything, but I wasn't able to invest as much time as I would have liked. I'm wondering if anyone has a mug marked for this place or who happens to know it came from there. I'm especially intrigued by the Aloha Drink of Mystery bowl.
Then, there's Western Canada's Beachcomber chain:

(Edmonton menu courtesy of Dustycajun)
I'm curious how much artistic license was used with the Headhunter and Tahitian Coffee mugs. They don't look like anything I've seen! I'm still waiting and hoping for something to turn up with some sort of marking linking it to this restaurant chain. The Hawahine coconut mug and Samoa Fog Cutter peanut mug can also be seen in this photo:

This mug is said to be from The Beachcomber, but I'm not sure whether or not it's represented by the Tahitian Coffee mug on the menu:

The Coffee Grog skull mug is probably more of a generic design. So, does someone out there have something to share? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-12 11:23 pm   Permalink

This amazing menu from Aloha Motel located in Rock Forest outside of Montreal showed up on ebay this week, two copies that went for about $140.

The menu contains photos of the entire line-up of the Céramique de Beauce (Beauceware) mugs

Including the amazing vicious virgin.

I don't know if I have ever seen a close up color photo of that one before.

I have a postcard from this place that I posted previously.

Pretty amazing menu line-up for such an assuming place.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kohalacharms
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-25 3:02 pm   Permalink

A Luau 400 prototype bowl that never went into production - fabricated by Harper of Florida; the same manufacturer that produced several early pieces for the Mai Kai with the most notable being the 1956 Mystery bowl as well as the Kona Coffee Grog mug and pitcher.

View Profile of kohalacharms Send a personal message to kohalacharms      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-25 3:10 pm   Permalink

Kohalacharms,

WOW, what a score. That is a very cool find with the signature Luau image on the side of the bowl.

Thanks for posting.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2010-05-25 15:11 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-25 4:15 pm   Permalink

Very excellent, Frank! What a prize, congrats! A Krypto-mug before we even knew it was a Krypto-mug!
Now you just have to find this one :

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-28 3:00 pm   Permalink

Check this out, two crypto mugs on one page of the Los Angeles Islander menu.

We have seen the Cobras Fang mug, and here is the Coffee Grog mug made by Spurlin which is on the same menu page.

This mug just sold on ebay and this is the first time I have ever seen one of these. Here is this listing information.

One of the rarest tiki mugs out there. A handful of these hand-made mugs were made by Spurlin Pottery for the LA Islander's Coffee Grog drink. This mug does not have any makers marks on it - Spurlin didn't maker mark any of their Islander pottery. 4.5 inches tall .

DC

ron-tiki

Posted: 2010-05-28 7:06 pm   Permalink

wow! this looks like the mystery mug i posted on the previous page. the difference is mine has a handle in the back and no earrings..

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-29 09:10 am   Permalink

Ron-Tiki,

Those two mugs sure look like the same maker. I wonder if Spurlin modified the design of the original Coffee Grog mug because the earrings kept breaking off? Or patrons singed their hands on the hot, handle-less mug!

Could you get a better close-up shot of the front of your mug to compare?

DC

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-29 8:13 pm   Permalink

Hey guys,

I would say that these mugs above are certainly from the same set(s) of molds. The handle and the ear rings on the 2 are added to the castings after they have been pulled from the molds. I would bet that DC is right in thinking that the one with the ear rings came first. Also, both are the same glaze...Spurlin for sure.

I would wager that this brown/yellow/runny glaze Spurlin used was made up by them, and not commercially produced....I've been trying to mimic this glaze off and on for a while now, and in the last few weeks, I think I,m getting closer. Hint: This look was a way for them to save money in production

Keep up the great work on this thread fellas...it's one of my favorites.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-29 10:48 pm   Permalink

On another note...I keep forgetting to post this.

I keep seeing this crypto(?) bowl with the 3 nude female figures on it. Sorry, I don't know all of the Tiki establishments that they were used in, but I feel pretty confident in saying that the female figure part of these bowls was from a hobbyist mold of the day...

This little thingy (same girl as bowl girls) I have here was made by a local photography teacher (now deceased) at a community college here in San Diego in the early 70's...He took a couple of brought cast pieces (the girl and the pipe) and added it to a slab of clay with a photo of his girl friend - hehe

Now, this doesn't make those prized tiki bowls out there any less valuable...it's just interesting is all. In fact, it kind of adds to the Kitch factor of these bowls in my opinion...All one would have needed to do to make this bowl with the girls would be to take a feashly cast bowl and push in the sides - take a little slip (liquid clay) and attach the pre-cast nude figures in the bowl's depressions.

Like today, back in the 50's and 60's there were many hobbyists playing with ceramics, and it was a waaaay more popular hobby back then. There were many stores and magazines (such as these) that were all over the Country. Today ceramics/clay is more accepted as a medium that one can make 'fine' craft, and even fine art with.

Okay, sorry...back to crypto mugs

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki

Posted: 2010-05-31 08:09 am   Permalink

here are some more pics

it looks like the islander mug, bongofurys mug, and my mug are from the same mold with different add ons(earrings ,bone in nose..etc.) thanks for the info babalu!!

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-07 03:19 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2010-05-29 22:48, Babalu wrote:

Now, this doesn't make those prized tiki bowls out there any less valuable...it's just interesting is all. In fact, it kind of adds to the Kitch factor of these bowls in my opinion...All one would have needed to do to make this bowl with the girls would be to take a feashly cast bowl and push in the sides - take a little slip (liquid clay) and attach the pre-cast nude figures in the bowl's depressions.

[quote]

You mean something like these....

...from a coupla of years ago...

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-10 10:54 pm   Permalink

Here is another of the Spurlin mugs from the Islander in Los Angeles that sold on ebay recently. This one is not illustrated on the menu....

but is shown on several live action photos from the Islander thread in Locating Tiki.

Those old B & W photos show how crisp the original castings were.

DC

Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-26 4:53 pm   Permalink

that guy looks like Al Hirt - a well known trumpeter of the 50's and 60's (not sure if it is him though)

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-26 6:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-26 16:53, Digitiki wrote:
that guy looks like Al Hirt - a well known trumpeter of the 50's and 60's (not sure if it is him though)

That's definitely him.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation