FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-03 12:58 am   Permalink

"This thread is about Crypto Mugs..the rare mugs that appear on cocktail menus that seem elusive in our hunts. Not about salt and pepper shakers that look like these mugs and have nothing to do with what this thread is about."

Since blacklagoon pulled his pictures and changed his post I don't know if the S&Ps he posted were not related to an image in a menu or ad or if the S&Ps resembled some crypto-mug in a menu.

If objects are merely unusual but don't go with any evidence for an unseen mug then they should go in the Tiki Finds thread.

But if the object is a mass produced ceramic that has a strong resemblance to an elusive mug in a menu or ad I think it would be entirely relevant to this thread.

It might show that the mug rendering in a menu wasn't entirely made up by an artist.

The S&Ps or condiment container could be smaller versions of a larger design (as blacklagoon pointed out above).

The small object might have been the artist's inspiration for the illustration, either just because it was available to work from or because Mr. Tiki Restaurant Opener had a set of S&Ps he liked the look of and thought he'd have mugs made in that same design so he had that design included in the menu.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-05 8:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-03 20:26, ron-tiki wrote:
here's another trader vics mug i haven't seen before . it's made by terra -ceramics hawaii

[ This Message was edited by: ron-tiki 2010-04-04 10:31 ]

I just found this mug today. I wasn't even sure if I was gonna buy it, (It has no markings on the bottom, just more glaze) but something about it seemed very "Trader Vic's Honolulu to me.
Was it ever documented in the Hawaiian Trader Vic's menu?

Here's a pic of mine:

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-10-06 07:06 am   Permalink

nice score!!!

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-06 07:53 am   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

Nope, but it did make the front cover of "Waikiki Tiki: Art History and Photographs."

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-06 11:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-06 07:53, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,
Quote:

Nope, but it did make the front cover of "Waikiki Tiki: Art History and Photographs."

Hey! Whattayaknow? It's right on the cover. I know I just saw your book recently...so maybe that's why I knew there was something about that mug...

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-07 12:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-06 11:43, Slacks Ferret wrote:

Hey! Whattayaknow? It's right on the cover. I know I just saw your book recently...so maybe that's why I knew there was something about that mug...

My mug collection is actually quite small and very focused. I am only really interested in the regional ceramics and pottery of Hawaii. Made in Hawaii or used in Hawaii are the only mugs used in my book, "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History, and Photographs.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-11 08:34 am   Permalink

Found this mug exactly a year ago at a Salvation Army .Phil Roberts was instrumental awhile
back when I did not know where mug was from .Great multi color glaze ,no markings on bottom
leads us to believe it is from Polynesian Pottery .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki

Posted: 2010-10-11 09:19 am   Permalink

this mug was made by terra ceramics not pp. the one i have is marked a shown above..

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-11 5:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-10-11 09:19, ron-tiki wrote:
this mug was made by terra ceramics not pp. the one i have is marked a shown above..

Ron based on what Phil had conveyed to me , they were made by both companies .
Most of Terra ceramics had markings on bottom like the foremost depicted and
shown with Trader Vic markings .I am only going by what he said .I know Phil
is alot more knowledgable then I am when it come to Hawaii tiki mugs.I honestly
don't know one way or the other,however I dig the mug and apparently not that
easy to find .The cool thing about this find is ,I have not found any tiki mugs
there since at that location.I happen to have found at the same time the smooth
more sought after version of the cross arm tiki mug that was made for Luau Hut
and several other locations .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki

Posted: 2010-10-11 8:09 pm   Permalink

great info!! thanks...

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-12 12:03 am   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:
: From Tiki finds, which is almost impossible to find info in...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2010-10-07 15:11, Tiki Royale wrote:

Phillip Roberts, can you provide any details on Terra Ceramics?

I can. "Terra Ceramics, Hawaii" was active 1965-ish until around 1989-ish. It was run by Victoria Citron (She was 81 when she passed in 2003) out of a kiln in Kalihi. They often bid against Polynesian Pottery (Daga) , and Louie B. Ceramics for jobs.

The company started doing flowerpots for hotels and eventually got the contract to make the coconut mugs for Duke Kahanamoku's on the Beach, and the Hilton business. After the majority owner passed on her son (sadly) disposed of many of the custom molds. (I know Gecko picked up a couple of the molds but this was the exception to the rule.)

Added information:

I was just at the Daga Warehouse on Friday. Dan Cosina, confirmed BOTH Polynesian Pottery and Terra Ceramics made the mug in question. Apparently it is an "Adele Davis" design/mold.

Adele ran the original kiln in Kalihi. She lived and designed near Sunset Beach before selling out to Dan and Gary of PP (Daga). She also sold molds to Terra Ceramics, HB Hawaii, Louie B and others.

You'll often see a 'Tahitian Lanai' green bamboo handled mug with the "SSS" incised on the bottom. (SSS=Sunset Shore Searamics) Some of my 'Shipwreck Kelly' items bear the same mark. She also signed some of her work "AD" like the ashtray Freddie showed earlier in this thread.

About Adele. Dan discribes her as a short, stout woman who smoked cigars, played high stakes poker, and drank hard; quite often.

ron-tiki

Posted: 2010-10-12 09:54 am   Permalink

phillip--thanks for the info-- this explains something to me..i have 1 of these marked terra ceramics and the other isn't but side by side they are identical.. size,glaze,etc.this makes sense now since they were probably made from the same mold and used the same glaze..

Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-12 10:39 am   Permalink

Mahalo Phil! Great info.
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-06 10:33 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2010-10-12 10:39, Tiki Royale wrote:
Mahalo Phil! Great info.

Regarding Terra Ceramics. Had an awesome experience today I'll share. I had gone up to the Bess Press to do my weekly pop in at the publisher. About 15 minutes after I was there, a lady walked in.

"I'm here to buy 4 copies of the Tiki Book."

"The author is right there..." said the business manager, who pointed to me.

"I'd be happy to sign those for you... How did you hear about the book?"

"I work at Bamboo Press, another local book company that puts out fiction, poetry, (by local writers,) and ghost stories, etc. I saw it at the monthly Hawaii book publishers meeting. Some of my Mother-In-Law, Victoria Citron’s mugs are in your book. She ran TERRA CERAMICS with her sister. I am buying them for all my relatives for Christmas. Makes it easy."

We had a long talk... She is going to look around the house and see what "she has lying around..." She says there are mugs, molds, and photos…

More to follow...

It may take me some time so please be patient…

Phillip

HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-07 01:10 am   Permalink

Can't wait! More great detective work, Phil! Mahalo

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation