FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2010-11-13 12:07 am   Permalink

Has anyone found the Luau Cup, Frustrating Fanny, or Voodoo Bowl from Club Luau in Houston, TX?

How about the Dr. Munk, Log-Cutter, or Keg O' Rum?

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2010-11-13 00:10 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-13 12:58 am   Permalink

"Frustrating Fanny" my new holy-grail mug, I wonder if its the ancestor of the bearded clam?

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy

Posted: 2010-11-16 1:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-12 19:13, Brandomoai wrote:
I'd like to offer some Canadian menus for the crypto-mug search.

there's Western Canada's Beachcomber chain:

(Edmonton menu courtesy of Dustycajun)
I'm curious how much artistic license was used with the Headhunter and Tahitian Coffee mugs.

I'm also interested in this Swizzling Babalu mug on the other page:

It seems to be ceramic with some kind of raised design of a dancer. Has anyone else seen something similar?

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-16 5:35 pm   Permalink

Sabu,

I can't remember ever seeing a mug with the Club Luau name on it. The postcard I have does not show any mugs on the bar tables either.

Here is another one that I have not seen before from an illustrated drink menu that came from the Hawaiian Isle in Florida (from ebay).

Most of the mugs look like standard issues from the Otagiri catalog

But how about this Navy Grog mug with the distinctive handle?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-17 05:06 am   Permalink

island sling is your basic toby mug....the mai tai (i have) and the navey grog (i had but broke) are somewhat common in that they appear on ebay here and there....remember, menu colors can be misleading...mugs were often colored differently in the menu (for artists compositional reasons) than what they were in reality ...i do not think these mugs exist in the color green, but are often seen in the color brown....well, except for the toby mug which i did see in green but it was a copy some home ceramicist made from a mold of an original mug......

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-11-17 06:39 am   Permalink

the navy grog looks like a tepco mug and is available in both green and brown. the green is the less common one.

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-17 6:15 pm   Permalink

i have a brown/green toby mug. i thought they were pretty common.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-17 6:20 pm   Permalink

Well obviously my mistake on the Crypto Mug ID for the Tepco. I am a paper guy and don't know much about mugs.

Could someone post a photo and then we can move on to ACTUAL hard to find mugs.

Thanks,

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-18 11:30 am   Permalink

I got that puppy as a lighter:

Ugly lil' duckling. But any Tiki object with an early 60s date is cool:

I wonder whooo got that great Hawaiian Isle menu!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-18 4:47 pm   Permalink

Sven,

Thanks for bailing me out with your Crypto Lighter version of the Toby mug!

That was one sweet drink menu, now residing in a deserving home museum.

DC

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-18 6:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I'm also interested in this Swizzling Babalu mug on the other page:

It seems to be ceramic with some kind of raised design of a dancer. Has anyone else seen something similar?

Sabu

Very nice work boys! Of course, I'm kinda partial to that "Swizzling Babalu" too.

I don't know about that mug being made of ceramic though Sabu?...I mean, it could be, but it would also be kind of a pain in the ass to mass produce. That stem on mug would need to possibly be slip attached to the main body...and that's kind of a tough to do right there. The whole thing could also be done as one casting, but that area would still be a weak area pulling the cast from the mold, and if the mug was not poured thicker it might create a dip on the bottom inside down into the stem area...

My guess would be that the Swizzling Babalu mug is glassware.

[ This Message was edited by: Babalu 2010-11-18 18:06 ]

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-29 04:35 am   Permalink

From a sale on ebay that just ended, two of the lost Beachcomber mugs.

The Flaming Grog Mug, note the Mayfair branding on the side..

The mug in use in the Pathe footage..

Listed as a tumbler from the Mayfair we have this second crypto-mug.

A close examination of the pattern suggests that it is in fact a repeated toggle tiki design, perhaps this is the Beachcomber Logo Mug?

Behind the letters T and O is this a blurry image of the mug in use?

Glad to see these mugs were appreciated by the collectors as the grog mug made 122.01 ($190.20)and the logo mug went for 137.40 ($214.16).

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIWAGON
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-29 1:10 pm   Permalink

What lucky person got these as i have been after them for ages!

View Profile of TIKIWAGON Send a personal message to TIKIWAGON  Email TIKIWAGON Goto the website of TIKIWAGON     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy

Posted: 2010-11-29 1:42 pm   Permalink

atomictonytiki - Thanks for updating the thread with those rare mugs. It's great to actually knock a few crypto-mugs off the list when we've been adding so many new ones to it. Those are beautiful, unique mugs too.

Pikeys Dog
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-29 4:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-29 13:10, TIKIWAGON wrote:
What lucky person got these as i have been after them for ages!

not me, my bids were blown out of the water!

View Profile of Pikeys Dog Send a personal message to Pikeys Dog  Goto the website of Pikeys Dog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation