FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-29 5:24 pm   Permalink

atomictonytiki

Thanks for posting the rare May Fair Beachcomber mugs. If you look at the British Pathe photo the mug in front of the women at the bar is for sure the Crypto mug.

(above the S and U).

What is the link to that British Pathe video?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bobsmoney

Posted: 2010-11-30 01:51 am   Permalink

Hello, I have found this unusual Tiki, set in a lucite or old plastic weight. I will attach the photo. Does anyone know anything about this piece?

View Profile of bobsmoney Send a personal message to bobsmoney      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-30 03:59 am   Permalink

No the mug above the S and U is different crypto-mug to the toggle tiki mug, it features in another part of the beachcomber footage. It has a strange cross shaped patter near it's top, I WISH SOMEONE WOULD POST THE PICTURES FROM THE BEACHCOMBER MENU TRADER JIM so we can have a better idea of the mugs were looking for.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-12-30 7:09 pm   Permalink

anyone seen these before???these appear to be hand made but better than a hobbyist mug.no mark looks like a spurlin or???

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mister Naufrago
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-16 1:50 pm   Permalink

Spanish tikidom has its own list of misteriosos crypto mugs.
I know it is probably a question of limited interest here, but I was really willing to add something to this awesome thread. And who knows, maybe even I can find some answers about one of this raros artifacts.

View Profile of Mister Naufrago Send a personal message to Mister Naufrago  Email Mister Naufrago     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cloudmonkey
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-16 4:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-01-16 13:50, Mister Naufrago wrote:
Spanish tikidom has its own list of misteriosos crypto mugs.
I know it is probably a question of limited interest here, but I was really willing to add something to this awesome thread. And who knows, maybe even I can find some answers about one of this raros artifacts.

Translation:
TANGAROA
Creator of man according to the natives, he transformed into a divine brew of rums and tropical fruits, giving a taste ferocious and delicate.
SEMI-DRY

View Profile of cloudmonkey Send a personal message to cloudmonkey  Goto the website of cloudmonkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-30 11:45 am   Permalink

Just picked up this Fan from the Waiakea resort Village & The Marketplace in Hilo, Hawaii.

The reverse is a drink menu and has some cool volcano mugs I've never seen.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-01-31 7:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-12 12:27, kohalacharms wrote:
The shell bowl was utilized by many establishments based upon menu research. There are at least two versions that I'm aware of with one them produced by Spurlin.

Aku Aku's Pua-Pule bowl

Spurlin version of shell bowl

Here are some different views of the bowl showing the bottom detail

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-08 9:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-16 17:35, Dustycajun wrote:
Sabu,

I can't remember ever seeing a mug with the Club Luau name on it. The postcard I have does not show any mugs on the bar tables either.

Here is another one that I have not seen before from an illustrated drink menu that came from the Hawaiian Isle in Florida (from ebay).

Most of the mugs look like standard issues from the Otagiri catalog

But how about this Navy Grog mug with the distinctive handle?

DC

Sorry for the looong delay...finally got another computer and a working modem

Marked Napcoware, c-5993, sticker is hard to read NATIONAL Potteries, Cleveland O.,made in Japan...looks like they "borrowed" alittle from Polystone etc...

Aloha, Freddie

[ This Message was edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2011-02-08 21:05 ]

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-12 11:51 am   Permalink

Aloha,

Quote:

On 2011-01-30 11:45, 8FT Tiki wrote:
The reverse is a drink menu and has some cool volcano mugs I've never seen.

The Halemaluna volcano mug exists! I have that one and you can see it in Waikiki Tiki. It was made by Terra Ceramics. Mine is brown with a white glaze on the lava. I have also seen another once with purple lava.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-18 6:10 pm   Permalink

Ok here is an interesting thrift score from today. After consulting with my pal TikiRoyale, we both did a search & couldn't find a match for this one: a drum mug from Trader Vics Hawaii?
It is fairly lightweight & faintly marked on the bottom "Trader Vic's Hawaii".
I got excited when I saw it, because I knew what I thought it was, but didnt recognize the style. When I looked at the bottom I got a nice warm fuzzy!
Anyone seen/have this mug? I couldn't find anything like it on the TV coctail menus I've seen. Any info is greatly appreciated.

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-18 9:21 pm   Permalink

Nice one BBTD! An interesting piece for sure.
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-19 02:42 am   Permalink

I looked at the bottom too and couldn't see anything!

How great that still, to this day, completely unheard-of, never seen before mugs can be found in the wild. It ain't exactly the Mai Kai PNG drum mug, but the Tapa colors and look are great.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-19 11:13 am   Permalink

just snapped those pics quickly, clearly not the best quality. I can take better shots if anyone is interested.

<edited for my crappy spelling>

[ This Message was edited by: bigbadtikidaddy 2011-02-19 11:15 ]

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aquatic Safarinaut
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-03-08 12:35 pm   Permalink

Got this mug a few weeks ago at an antique fair in Oakland. The seller said that he thought it was a hobbyist mug. I wasn't sure but I really like the mug, great colors and seemed like an early version of or inspiration for the Tepco or Harvey's Hula Girl mug.

Then the other day, in a posting discussing a photo of the original Trader Vic Kava Bowl, DustyCajun Posted This picture from a 1944 Life Magazine article on Trader Vic...

The Fog Cutter Mug in the 1944 image struck me as very familiar...

Sure looks like it could be the same mug to me but I'd appreciate peer review...

I originally posted this in Tiki Finds but I think the scrutiny in the Crypto Thread might be a little more rigorous...
What does everyone think?

Cheers,
John

View Profile of Aquatic Safarinaut Send a personal message to Aquatic Safarinaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation