FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-26 3:02 pm   Permalink

Great stuff KC! Thanks for sharing the pics.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-26 3:07 pm   Permalink

Looks like KC also has an original Mai Kai mystery bowl as well, another impossible
bowl to find.Thanks for taking the time to post KC much appreciated.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-26 4:57 pm   Permalink

Thanks Mucho, KC! Love looking at your collection.

The Gremlin bowls in your photo definitely match up with the one labeled PB2Y in the LIFE group photo - just a tad smaller and shallower than the Scorpion bowl, but not by much:

And I agree with Swanky and Midnight that the B-17 and PB2Y bowls in the article sure do look the same. They might have been mis-captioned. But without anything sitting next to the B-17 for size comparison, we'll never know. And what about the P-40 single-server? There has to be another size for that! Doesn't there? They wouldn't pour that big bowl a quarter or third full and then make the rest up with ice, would they? And why go through the effort of explaining the three distinct sizes (other than the fact that they were named after three WWII aircraft, which is unbelievably cool, btw), if there wasn't some basis in fact? Maybe the small one had a single naked girl-gremlin on one side and single boy-gremlin chasing her on the other side, I dunno.

If Kohalacharms gets his third Gremlin Bowl and it's the same size as the other two, I'll concede. I'm glad, btw, that they went with the second bowl artwork rather than that prototype - still pretty cool though.

And Honolulu Trader Vic's made mugs that aren't on the menu? Egad! How's a mug-collector gonna cope with that?

DC - I've seen good, near-complete collections of the Hawaiian mugs in that TV menu, but always missing one or two. The one I don't remember for sure is that "Chi Chi" mug - the elongated coconut. I've never seen that one.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2010-02-26 17:10 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kohalacharms
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-26 5:16 pm   Permalink

Not the Chi Chi vessel from Trader Vic's, but I'm confident it's out there....

View Profile of kohalacharms Send a personal message to kohalacharms      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-26 5:30 pm   Permalink

KC,

Thanks for sharing.

While were on the subject of the Outrigger menu mugs (yesterday), what about the Fog Cutter Mug?

I don't own the menu so I can't get a better scan, but I have never seen this one around before. Would be nice to see a better scan of the artwork and the mug together.

Any takers?

PS Sabu, I will get you some better scans of those two bowls from the Polynesian menu, just need to dig it out of hiding somewhere.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-26 5:33 pm   Permalink

Hey Kohalacharms, glad you posted and thanks for the pic's and info.!!
A gremlin prototype???!!! What the hell? Great stuff!!

Here's my shot of that Tortuga drink mug from the Honolulu Trader Vic's:

Good questions DC. I haven't seen some of those mugs like the Navy Grog Anchor etc. and was wondering the same. I think they are all out there because most have them have been found. Some are just so damn ugly we might walk by it 100 times and not realize it!!
Like really..... have you seen the "Red Pants" drink mug???? Or the "Peeping Tom" mug??? Those are some ugly mugs and nothing remotely close to Tiki style!!! I have the Peeping Tom but never seen the Red Pants...or have I????

Keep em coming!!!
TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-26 7:41 pm   Permalink

Sabu and company,

A question about the Trader Vic's mugs, do you know if they were manufactured for the original Ward Ave location or for the second International Market Place location owned by Spencecliff, or both?

Here is another possible sneaker that I remember Sabu posting a question on years ago.

The mug on the table is show in a postcard from Heddy's Hawaiian Room in Echo Lake, PA.

There is also a rendering of the mug on the menu I posted from ebay.

Could this be a custom mug from the Hawaiian Room with the palm trees or a standard piece?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-27 06:59 am   Permalink

Dan, let me dig through the pics I took for Tiki Daze. I think the red pants mug is in there. Maybe the otherstoo.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-27 06:59 am   Permalink

Dan, let me dig through the pics I took for Tiki Daze. I think the red pants mug is in there. Maybe the otherstoo.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-27 07:24 am   Permalink

Like everyone else said, thank you Sabu for starting this! Definitely a great thread in the making. And the best part, other than all this great eye candy, is this (and hopefully there will be a lot more of examples of this):

Quote:
Silverline, I'm stoked that I can help you out in this case.

Quote:
That's fantastic! Thanks Sabu!

Now as much as you serious mug collectors salivate over the rarest-of-the-rare ones, and I do too, when I look at old restaurant and bar photos, my eye often gravitates to the glassware that was used. Even in a tiki bar, maybe even more so in a classic tiki bar because of the savage-sophisticated contrast, just the right glassware can make the perfect presentation for a cocktail.

I searched high and low for the (then) elusive Derby Daiquiri glass from the Mai-Kai

until I finally located one

Fortunately some more later surfaced and are now in the hands of some appreciative collectors.

I'm still searching for this ribbed glass that was used in oh-so-many tiki bars and shows up in several of the menu pictures in this thread (this picture from Sabu's post - glass on left)

It shows up on the tiki scene as early as the 1930s at Don the Beachcomber's in Hollywood (see lower right)

And as late as 1990

Yes, there's a glass in that picture, trust me. You'd think with a glass that was in such widespread use over so many decades that it would be easy to find, but I still haven't located one. Jeff Berry has not seen one either and he's been looking for years. Does anyone have one in their collection? If so, do you know who made them? I've scanned many old drinkware catalogs and haven't found it. I did find this one

and thought I'd finally located it, but having shown it to Kern Mattei (Mai-Kai manager), he's convinced it's not the same that they used, but it's awfully close. I'm pretty sure he's right because this one is rather thin and delicate and would not hold up at all to everyday use in a restaurant or bar. But then again, that may be why none are left... they all broke!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-27 07:54 am   Permalink

GatorRob, I have been collecting glassware for years I found a few of the thin ones on eBay several years ago. They came in different colors of yellow, pink, green and blue they were so thin that one of them arrived broken in the mail. Last year at a local Goodwill store I found a few blue color ones, they are a little taller and thicker.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-27 09:14 am   Permalink

hiltiki, right, those are likely the same ones I have. The ones used in the classic tiki bars were all clear and, best I can tell, have 7 rings/ribs whereas mine has 6.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-27 11:21 am   Permalink

Great thread. Here is one I have wondered about since I found and posted the picture on the Mai Kai thread. I wrote

This has got to be an ultra rare mug, The cocktail is the Orbit Drink. I want one of these, hell I want the drink recipe. The caption with the picture says.

"Waitress in Mai Kai restaurant serving Orbit Drink in honor of John H. Glenn's space flight. January 1 1962"

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-27 11:37 am   Permalink

I like Fara ... wonder where she is these days ?

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-27 12:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-26 19:41, Dustycajun wrote:
Sabu and company,

A question about the Trader Vic's mugs, do you know if they were manufactured for the original Ward Ave location or for the second International Market Place location owned by Spencecliff, or both?

DC, here is a thought on this and another question. Daga's homepage says that they started in 1971, and Trader Vic's moved to the International Marketplace in 1967, so I would assume that if the mug says Daga, it is from that second location. However, I know that the name before Daga was Polynesian Pottery, and not sure when that name/company started. How are these other mugs marked on the bottom?

I have a couple of the green handled Tahitian Lanai mugs which are marked PP for Polynesian Pottery, but have also seen that same mug marked Daga, so I might not be helping at all?!?

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation