FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-27 12:29 pm   Permalink

Mo-Eye,

Thanks for the input, but...

I think most of the custom Hawaii Trader Vic's mugs, like this rare bowl I spotted on ebay,

Were marked like this on the bottom:

DC

(PS any luck on finding the missing Don the Beachcomber locations?)

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-27 1:27 pm   Permalink

Yup this thread is my favorite! Thanks KC for chiming in with pics. Knew you would be a great source of confirming the existance of some of these mystery pieces .

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-27 1:30 pm   Permalink

I think the Bowl above is very early and was made by a specific artist/company on the Islands and at the time of the Ward Ave location. Probably specifically done for that location and was not available at other restaurants. I would say after 1941 when Spencecliff took over but before their move to the IMP.

What about those other bowls and some of the cups and plates that you see, with the drawings of Trader Vic's building with all the plant life and the beach scene? These are probably pre-1960 and probably much older than that.
One came out of a collection earlier this year which I think had a date of 1948 with it. These were all made by Vernon Kilns and are marked as such. These items, I think, are all from around the time of the Ward Ave location. They do seem to resemble this specific location. Does anyone know if these were actually available on the mainland??

**EDITING THIS POST because I just saw Trad'r Bill's post in locating Tiki thread. In the background of a photo he shows from the Oakland location dated Aug.1950, the above Vic plates that I am refering to are on display in the background. Very much available on the mainland and not exclusive to Hawaii location. Great how one picture clears it all up!!**

The DAGA and Polynesian Pottery mugs were probably for the International Market Place location which was a bit later. We know that DAGA didn't start making under that name until atleast 1971 so that dates these pretty good.

Some of the bases of these mugs that you see like the Tonga, Octopus, Tiki Like or the Tortuga are seen marked "PP Hawaii" for Polynesian Pottery. Some are also marked DAGA. Also, the same mugs are seen with no markings but so far have only ever been seen in the Hawaii Trader Vic's menu.

We really need to see some inside pictures of the inside of these locations to see what was being used and available at certain dates. Start asking your friends and families to go through their old albums!!

TabooDan

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2010-03-03 09:00 ]

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-27 4:57 pm   Permalink

Here are two mug illustrations shown in the drink menu from the Tahitian in Pasadena, you know, the cool yellow one.

The first is a Fog Cutter style mug (cleverly named the Smog Cutter!) that shows the Tahitian name and their logo hut.

The second is a Rum Barrel with the Tahitian name.

Do they exist?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-02-27 5:17 pm   Permalink

dustycajun--i have what i believe to be the fog cutter mug you are asking about...i got it from an 88 year old neighbor . he had all kinds of stuff..o.a. statues in the yard ,floats ,giant clamshells,turtle shells you name it..he gave me a stash of old vintage mugs and in it it were these red clay mugs. i said they weren't tiki .he said he and his wife had got them from one of the tiki bars they went to. since he had all these other mugs from different bars i figured what the heck..they are un marked and appear to be individually hand made since each of the four that i have are a little different and somewhat crude...what do you think????btw the man is still around so i will try to see if his memory is working any better as to where he actually got them.http://tikiroom.com/img/6644x4b89c2f6.jpg

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-27 6:03 pm   Permalink

I was curious to see what mug ron-tiki was talking about in the last post so here's the above photo that ron-tiki is showing if it doesn't come out:

And from the Outrigger Club menu:

These look pretty cool and have the story to go along with them!
Awesome addition to this cool post. Thanks!!

We might be able to cross off alot of mugs that we didn't know were out there with this thread!

TabooDan

[ This Message was edited by: TabooDan 2010-02-27 18:10 ]

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki

Posted: 2010-02-27 6:22 pm   Permalink

thanks taboo dan!!!

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kohalacharms

Posted: 2010-03-01 11:37 am   Permalink

The question always arises as to whether or not an artist's drink menu rendering of a mug or bowl is based on a real item. In my humble opinion, the answer is always, "Yes". Liberties may have been taken with an illustration, however, the images tend not to be too far off the mark when the actual pieces are found. My tiki wish list is comprised of mainly pieces only seen as a drawing within a menu. It's impossible to prove that these pieces do not exist; as a collector, I assume they do and plan my searches accordingly. A perfect example of this are the rare pieces that recently came to light from the Kahiki. Within the past year I had the good fortune to pick-up a ultra-rare piece from the Kalua Room: the Tonga Tabu mug

Artist's rendering

the real deal

View Profile of kohalacharms Send a personal message to kohalacharms      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-01 12:16 pm   Permalink

that's funny KC...I hadn't seen your post here prior to posting this:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=28577&forum=5&start=15&26

[ This Message was edited by: Babalu 2010-03-01 12:18 ]

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
54 house of bamboo

Posted: 2010-03-02 05:03 am   Permalink

I tend to buy clothes not mugs... I lost an auction for this dress a few years ago and always wondered if the mugs were 'real' or imagined.

The Stevenson Wedding Mug by Cheekytiki, 2006

View Profile of 54 house of bamboo Send a personal message to 54 house of bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-02 08:54 am   Permalink

Hey 54houseofbamboo, that dress is bang on for the mugs that were used at The Hawaiian Village, Hilton Hotel in Hawaii.
Same mugs are on their menu. They were used alright!
Too bad you lost the auction!!

TabooDan

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-02 09:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-27 11:21, uncle trav wrote:
Great thread. Here is one I have wondered about since I found and posted the picture on the Mai Kai thread. I wrote

This has got to be an ultra rare mug, The cocktail is the Orbit Drink. I want one of these, hell I want the drink recipe. The caption with the picture says.

"Waitress in Mai Kai restaurant serving Orbit Drink in honor of John H. Glenn's space flight. January 1 1962"

Looks like they just took the aluminum cup they served the 151 Swizzle in and inverted it and put some faux rocket on top. I don't think this is any sort of real mug/vessel.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-02 8:34 pm   Permalink

now THIS is a GREAT thread!!! I have about 4 of both kinds of bowl (large & small) on the bottom left

of this menu from the Hawaiian in Utah..the trailer they had
stashed all the etc. from the site where the restaurant HAD been was FULL of stuff..thats
where i got my first set of real groovy tiki SCHWAG..they had CRUDLOADS of stuff
they were just TOSSING..it was ridiculous

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-02 10:10 pm   Permalink

bb moondog,

That's a pretty amazing story, would like to hear more about the Hawaiian and the trailer full of stuff. Maybe you can get a thread going for that with some photos of the items you found.

DC

Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-03 09:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-27 07:24, GatorRob wrote:I'm still searching for this ribbed glass that was used in oh-so-many tiki bars and shows up in several of the menu pictures in this thread (this picture from Sabu's post - glass on left)

It shows up on the tiki scene as early as the 1930s at Don the Beachcomber's in Hollywood (see lower right)

And as late as 1990

Yes, there's a glass in that picture, trust me. You'd think with a glass that was in such widespread use over so many decades that it would be easy to find, but I still haven't located one. Jeff Berry has not seen one either and he's been looking for years. Does anyone have one in their collection? If so, do you know who made them? I've scanned many old drinkware catalogs and haven't found it. I did find this one

and thought I'd finally located it, but having shown it to Kern Mattei (Mai-Kai manager), he's convinced it's not the same that they used, but it's awfully close. I'm pretty sure he's right because this one is rather thin and delicate and would not hold up at all to everyday use in a restaurant or bar. But then again, that may be why none are left... they all broke!

Quote:

On 2010-02-27 09:14, GatorRob wrote:
hiltiki, right, those are likely the same ones I have. The ones used in the classic tiki bars were all clear and, best I can tell, have 7 rings/ribs whereas mine has 6.

I'd been under the impression that because these were often called "Pearl Divers" (or "Deep Sea Divers" at the Mai Kai ) that the pearly, Carnival Glass glasses were used. The pearly ones go for too much arond here, because I'm competing with Carnival Glass collectors [dammit].

But I've picked up a couple of non-pearly, green ones as a consolation prize to myself. That menu shot in green has me wondering, though, if in fact non-pearly ones were indeed used?

Regarding the 7-ring vs 6-ring thing - has anyone seen a photograph (or real life) 7-ringer?
I suspect Artistic License on that one.
I mean, is Fara's 1990-Mai-Kai one above a 6-er or a 7-er? I cannot tell from the photo myself.

And I'm *dying* that I can't be at home right now as I type this to count the rings on mine!

My Inner Geek is being *SO* fed by this thread.
DAMN YOU, SABU!!
(*Mwah*!)

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation