FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Collecting Tiki Ľ Ľ Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Crypto-Mugs. Do these legends exist and who has them?
TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-04 7:20 pm   Permalink

All I can add to the post is, Iím fairly sure the Aku Aku glassware exists, in fact I think I have a broken one in storage. When we were shooting the Intoxica cover, the glass (with the blue drink) in the upper right was supposed to be a Aku Aku glass, unfortunately it got broke, the lamps would melt the ice after a few minutes, so we had to remake the drink regularly and the glass got broke while being washed between shots, the bum was very specific about quality. I havenít seen it since then, 9-10 years ago but Iím fairly certain, if I find out differently Iíll let everyone know.

Bosko

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-03-05 12:30 am   Permalink

I knew I'd seen the Mai Kai Swizzle glass and the Cherry Blossom glass somewhere before and it turns out they both are on the BACK COVER of Intoxica but after a closer look it appears the Aku Aku menu images were used for it.

Shit!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-05 02:08 am   Permalink

Would these 2 honeymoon bowls I found fit in here? They look like the one shown in that South Pacific menu.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=13068&forum=2&start=15&hilite=SOUTH PACIFIC BOWL

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-06 08:58 am   Permalink

This drink menu is from the Waikiki Room at the Leamington Hotel in Minneapolis. There was also a Waikiki Room at the Hotel Nicolet.

I have never seen one of the Waikiki Rum Barrels before, they look like the Aku Aku style. Anybody got one?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-06 10:59 am   Permalink

Sabu,

Here are some bigger scans of the Kava Bowl and the Tiki Bowl from the Polynesian. Nice match of the Tiki Bowl to that Bali Hai menu. I too have never seen either of these bowls. Maybe KC has one?

There is also a crypto Scorpion bowl with bamboo and palm leaves on the menu that I have not seen before.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2010-03-08 5:15 pm   Permalink

Thanks, DC.

It may just be the low-res printing that the Polynesian used on their menu, but the rough-and-scored finish on those bowls reminds me of this classic vintage bowl:

The one above was found in Tucson by Mark & Maggie of Velvet Glass, and I know that Gecko has another vintage version in Orange that he patterned his Mount Bumatay bowl after. I wonder if the same pottery company might have made the bowls for the Polynesian in Torrance?

That barrel from the Waikiki is another one I haven't seen. I bet some collector out there has it though.

Thanks,

Sabu

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2010-03-08 17:20 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-08 6:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-08 17:15, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:

The one above was found in Tucson by Mark & Maggie of Velvet Glass, and I know that Gecko has another vintage version in Orange that he patterned his Mount Bumatay bowl after. I wonder if the same pottery company might have made the bowls for the Polynesian in Torrance?

This is a vintage piece, not Gecko's? From the photo it looks new.

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-08 9:11 pm   Permalink

Our beautiful Bumatay bowl is most definitely an original. Gecko also confirmed it wasn't one of his.

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-10 9:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-25 17:30, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:

I like how excited the UK collectors got when you posted those

I wish that postcard that bifcozz used for picture-reference was still up.

The Beachcomber cruet set might have been found but still missing are the Beachcomber mugs(far right)...

(I've had to reuse an old picture as I'm away from my regular computer)

...also missing but sighted in the Pathe Footage of the Mayfair Beachomber,are the branded glassware, the "other mug" (just visible on the row beneath the flaming mugs) and the kava bowl.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-11 04:52 am   Permalink

..and what do we know of this little mug in the lower right hand corner near the bottom?.....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-11 05:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-06 10:59, Dustycajun wrote:

There is also a crypto Scorpion bowl with bamboo and palm leaves on the menu that I have not seen before.

DC

Tiki Quest page 84
-Duke

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-11 05:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-11 04:52, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

..and what do we know of this little mug in the lower right hand corner near the bottom?.....

Medium size of mugs on bottom of page 72 of Tiki Quest.
-Duke

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-11 05:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-25 20:31, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-02-25 19:47, SilverLine wrote:

I know there are others, but I've never seen any photos anywhere in anybody's collection. I'd like to know if I have an original, but have never seen any others.

Silverline, I'm stoked that I can help you out in this case. I bid on a set of mugs and a bowl from the Outrigger Club back in 2006, but I believe Kohalacharms won the auction. They were so unique that I saved the pictures. These are the real thing and are marked with the restaurant's name. I never knew about that menu picture. I didn't even know they were from Oklahoma.

Definitely some of the rarest mugs and bowls out there and they belong in this thread.

I know another collector who has one of these in a yellow/ amber glaze. It is not marked with a restaurant name. There was also one mounted on a shelf in the dining area of the Kahiki.

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-11 2:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-11 04:52, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

..and oddly enough...i just picked one up on ebay for a lousy $5.00......the tiki mug, not the postcard.....life is weird like that.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-11 3:30 pm   Permalink

Could this be Trader Vics Tapa Punch mug ?Petroglith

I was outbid on this today .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation