FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The South Pacific Room-Vista,CA-updated 05/04/14
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
The South Pacific Room-Vista,CA-updated 05/04/14
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-30 07:16 am   Permalink

Monkeyman...just a killer project you've got going' on there!

The room and backyard environment is a crowning achievement for you, and I too can't wait to see it all decked out in Monkeyman lighting, art and frames etc .

The progress week to week is an inspiration to us all.

Shaka gesture and Thanks for the progress pics. Take Care. G

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-30 09:39 am   Permalink

I'm guessing those wires are on a switch so you can turn on all the lamps easily. I envy your high ceilings.

Looked at power strips for the Hideaway, but they were all white and compared to just using an already black extension cord and power strip, it cost a lot less.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-30 09:43 am   Permalink

I like what you're doing with the ceiling. Your 2X4 beams look great, wish I would have used that idea for my bar. Did you get that look with just stain or did you burn it after using the grinder? Keep the pics coming.

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-30 10:40 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone for the kind and supportive comments. This is a project Ive been waiting to do for a long time... just holding out till I had the right location for it.

Swanky, The center wire in the ceiling is a slide switch to control the drop down ceiling fan. I can control the different speeds from the wall. The other two wires will have plugmold power strips along both sides that Im going to paint first. They will have a faux speckled brown colored sprayed on and then will be cut into the carved panels that Im going to install on the sides of the center beam. They will control all the lamps from a single switch and I wont have ANY wires or swag chains running up and down the walls.

Tiki Vato, Those 1x2's were just plain old cheapy pine from Home Depot. I used a super course sanding attachment for my grinder and distressed them to look hand carved. It was a pretty quick process. Then I used a stiff wire paint stripping tool that attaches to my drill to beat up the wood. Then its just a stain and clear coat. No burning neeeded. In the end I will attach the bamboo beams directly to those strips of wood.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-30 2:36 pm   Permalink

DAAAANG BOY!
A WORLD of difference there!
Just hearing the joy in your voice last week
when you were talking about the transformation
was awesome!
Can't wait to see this unfold more!

clown....

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-31 2:29 pm   Permalink

looks great, can't wait to see more!
Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-31 6:57 pm   Permalink

This is the outside papered and lathed ready for stucco.

Here is the outside of the South Pacific Room with a "Scratch" coat of Stucco/concrete

Its amazing how much more quiet the inside of the room is. It stops sound and vibration from the nearby road. Im also hoping to have better temperature regulation in the room...

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-02 8:07 pm   Permalink

slowly

Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-11 7:53 pm   Permalink

This weekend we installed the ceiling beams.
Having several drills with the appropriate bits makes things go faster.

[ This Message was edited by: monkeyman 2010-08-17 20:35 ]

ashman_atl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-11 9:44 pm   Permalink

Looking better and better! Great job on the ceiling and that Ku is perfect scale for the room. Don't get tired- keep the updates coming...

View Profile of ashman_atl Send a personal message to ashman_atl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-11 10:04 pm   Permalink

Everyday, closer and closer to the dream.

Looking good!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 11:57 am   Permalink

Wow!! Love that ceiling! Keep up the awesome work.

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-15 6:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-11 19:19, Monkeyman wrote:
Due South

I'm sorry to point this out now, but shouldn't you move the French Doors a little to the Right to better center how it frames that PNG Mask out by the Pool?

Nice work!

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-16 02:07 am   Permalink

Hi Derek,
Like all the work of yours I've seen on this site -- sheer awesomeness.
It looks amazing already -- and you're only just getting started. I can't wait to see what you do next.

BTW - wasn't it fun tearing out your fireplace? We rented one of those roto-hammers and obliterated our old 60's stone fireplace (to replace it with a Victorian styled one we built for the 'theme' of that room). It was a total blast. Had a big smile on my face the whole time.

Hope you're having as much fun as it looks!
John

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-18 08:29 am   Permalink

Awesome Roof Derek! Looking really good! I have been slowly building my backyard Hut/studio and went over all the exposed beams with the grinder like you did after seeing your photo! I liked the hand chiseled old look of it!

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation