FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The South Pacific Room-Vista,CA-updated 05/04/14
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
The South Pacific Room-Vista,CA-updated 05/04/14
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-26 8:15 pm   Permalink

2 Hours of sketching....
5 Hours of router work...
3 Days of aching triceps..
16 Pieces of window trim...

Its hard to keep the circles consistent and after a while my router bit was dull and harder to move through the material.

Detail

Installed. Sorry for the backlit photos. Kinda hard to make out the final look.

Lots more router work to do. Im sketching the other pieces this week.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-04-26 11:44 pm   Permalink

OMG... Wow monkeyman that trim is awesome, really finishes off the window nicely...
looking forward to seeing more pics of the room, really coming out beautiful man...
Aloha

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-27 05:23 am   Permalink

Wow, those pieces are gorgeous.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-27 06:08 am   Permalink

A lot of work, but from the results it is SO worth it.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-27 07:08 am   Permalink

Awesome effort on the window trim - and love all the details of the alternating styles of matting. Looking great.
Can you tellme about the foam you used to sculpt the large tiki -
i.e. type of? and where did you get it?. Used to sculpt large props in the 90's in hollywood for movie production, but never actually bought the foam myself - it was always provided by art department.
Thanks and great work1
Jon

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-27 09:04 am   Permalink

Its sheet insulation foam. 2" thick and glued up in a 24"x24"x8' block then carved by the artist.

He bonded each layer of foam together with spray foam insulation in a can.

Marcus Pizzuti does great work.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fugu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-27 4:50 pm   Permalink

The window trim is absolutely beautiful. Magnificent work!

View Profile of Fugu Send a personal message to Fugu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ashman_atl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-27 4:55 pm   Permalink

Monkeyman, your work continues to inspire and awe! That router work is beautiful! Now, break out the Icy-Hot and get back to work!

View Profile of ashman_atl Send a personal message to ashman_atl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Bob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-28 03:15 am   Permalink

Wonderful work
Sketching and routing is a laborious task but the end result is well worth the effort. The foam Tiki is great, solves the problem of working with wood at that scale, just imagine how heavy that piece would be if it were solid wood! Looks like another outstanding Tiki build!
Trader Bob

View Profile of Trader Bob Send a personal message to Trader Bob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-28 5:58 pm   Permalink

That pic of all the window trim almost gave me a seizure.
Looking great.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-28 6:31 pm   Permalink

Your untiring work is paying great dividends. Your work is inspiring and always a pleasure to my eyes. Great to see the attention to details you provide to your work. Keep those pictures coming.

I want to practice doing some trim work, any tips of your trade?

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Agent 86
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-28 9:20 pm   Permalink

Looks great and I love the pool and landscaping! Are you going to keep the fence around the pool?

View Profile of Agent 86 Send a personal message to Agent 86      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-29 09:07 am   Permalink

Thank you for all the nice words everyone. Its very rewarding to have a group like all of you who appreciates this stuff.

Tiki Vato- Tips on router work? I dont know. I do my best to sketch it all out very clearly and have a plan for which bit profile will work best for what Im trying to accomplish. This repeating Maori pattern is a favorite of mine because its all done with one bit. A 5/8" or 1/2" V-Bit. Some of my more complex router work requires multiple bits and so I have to figure it all out in advance.

I think the one thing that I try to avoid at all costs when doing router work is "straight lines". The spinning motion of the router bit combined with its super fast speed makes it really hard to free hand straight stuff. It ends up looking crooked and thats not the look I want.

I try to stay with curves... as long as it has some sort of curve its pretty easy to cover up inconsistencies. Keep your elbows close at your sides and find a position with your feet so that you are balanced throughout the entire movement.

Agent 86- I would love to get rid of the pool fence but I thought that it was law in California unless you were grandfathered in from an older home. Or maybe its that I wouldnt be able to get homeowners insurance... I dont recall. I dont particularly like the fence but for now it will stay and I might find ways to decorate or refinish it.

TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-29 12:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-29 09:07, Monkeyman wrote:
Thank you for all the nice words everyone. Its very rewarding to have a group like all of you who appreciates this stuff.

Tiki Vato- Tips on router work? I dont know. I do my best to sketch it all out very clearly and have a plan for which bit profile will work best for what Im trying to accomplish. This repeating Maori pattern is a favorite of mine because its all done with one bit. A 5/8" or 1/2" V-Bit. Some of my more complex router work requires multiple bits and so I have to figure it all out in advance.

I think the one thing that I try to avoid at all costs when doing router work is "straight lines". The spinning motion of the router bit combined with its super fast speed makes it really hard to free hand straight stuff. It ends up looking crooked and thats not the look I want.

I try to stay with curves... as long as it has some sort of curve its pretty easy to cover up inconsistencies. Keep your elbows close at your sides and find a position with your feet so that you are balanced throughout the entire movement.

Agent 86- I would love to get rid of the pool fence but I thought that it was law in California unless you were grandfathered in from an older home. Or maybe its that I wouldnt be able to get homeowners insurance... I dont recall. I dont particularly like the fence but for now it will stay and I might find ways to decorate or refinish it.

Thank you for your tips, They will come in handy as I start this trial and error process.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiVato 2010-04-29 12:28 ]

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-29 1:08 pm   Permalink

Those routered boards look very nice. They match these album frames that I have.

I'm expecting a stunning room when this is all finished.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation