FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Pao Pao Hut
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Pao Pao Hut
ashman_atl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-02 8:37 pm   Permalink

Monkeyman- thanks for taking time out from your KILLER project to drop by. The South Pacific Room is looking excellent. I'm getting ready to put my new grinder bit to work after seeing your results on those ceiling beams.

Liddlelola- just the basic lauhala mat. I thought it looked a bit checkered when I first unrolled it and was rather pleased. I like the bac bac look, but it's a bit more expensive.

Got a little bit of work done, so a few pics, same shot, too dark and/or bright...

Still a lot to do, but it's starting to look like it may have potential.

View Profile of ashman_atl Send a personal message to ashman_atl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ashman_atl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-08 11:38 pm   Permalink

Some minor progress this week. Got two more shelves installed, found some fringe to skirt the bar top, received the Snidely Ku, did some work on the ceiling with lighting effect and fish netting. Still have lots of bamboo trim to put up, another shelf to install, and, of course, the thatch awning...

Here are a few pics...

The ceiling...

The shelf that will go up in the empty spot on the left in above photo...

Three slightly different angles of the same shot...

One with flash... yikes!

It's gettin' there!

View Profile of ashman_atl Send a personal message to ashman_atl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-08 11:41 pm   Permalink

lookin' real good!

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-09 10:49 pm   Permalink

Wow...nice job for that small space. Very kewl!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ashman_atl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-10 05:06 am   Permalink

Finally started work on the awning yesterday. I knew it would be the most challenging element and it is...

Cut down a 2 x 4 and beveled the face and 1 end. Next, used a rotary file to burrow channels for the bamboo ribs...

Cut and fit each rib and attached with a dowel through a 1/4" hole which had to be drilled and, of course, every other piece of bamboo would split, but pretty good result...

Hope to have this thing sanded, stained, sealed and glued together and maybe hung up this weekend. We'll see.....

Much thanks for the kind words and encouragement!

[ This Message was edited by: ashman_atl 2010-04-10 18:04 ]

ashman_atl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-11 10:54 pm   Permalink

Beautiful tiki bar building weather in Atlanta this weekend, so that's how I spent part of it anyway... Continue to be humbled by a lot of the bars in this forum, but inspired as well. Doing one of these projects for the first time is certainly a learning experience, but it helps when others share their knowledge and techniques and I appreciate TC'ers for the updates/pics.

Got the head beam for the awning done. Used Gorilla glue and dowels to attach the bamboo ribs and it turned out not too badly. Still to do: side and front support poles and thatch; more measuring, cutting and whatnot.

Some pics of the skeletal piece from different angles...

Longer shot along the wall of the room from the entrance into the corner...

Slowly but surely getting some decorative elements into the space. Made this little bamboo framed picture in the corner from a page-a-day calendar...

And what tiki bar is complete without a little Shag? Found these cocktail napkins at Tuesday Morning for $1...

That's all for now. Have to get back to my real job for a few days....

jcorrigan
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-12 07:21 am   Permalink

That's looking awesome!! Keep up the great work!! You are so lucky with your tiki finds!! Here it's a little tougher...

View Profile of jcorrigan Send a personal message to jcorrigan  Email jcorrigan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Profit

Posted: 2010-04-12 10:12 am   Permalink

Wow, what an inspiration... I might have to try something like this in my small "bump-out"... Looks great!

View Profile of Profit Send a personal message to Profit      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-12 11:54 am   Permalink

Wow, very cool idea on the awning. Going to thatch that? Love the whole package!

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-13 05:26 am   Permalink

That is looking excellent. You've made that space look bigger than it actually is whilst starting to fill it with enough 'clutter'. Brilliant job. I reckon you're going to be enjoying a few Mai Tais in there soon.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ashman_atl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-18 12:45 am   Permalink

Made some additional progress on the hut this weekend. More fun than I've had in a long time... One of these days, hopefully I'll be able to spread out into something more than a closet. For now though, it will have to do.

Got the awning thatched and here are a batch of various angles of the intstallation...

Looking up into the hut...

'nother yard sale find...

Detail of some art paper I found at Sam Flax that will use to cover some of the white space behind the fish netting....

Added some clutter during the week...

Fired up a borrowed scroll saw and made a couple of signs (quite a bit of fun these do-dads turned out to be)...

Blurry detail of the floor support for the corner pole...

And last, but not least, the view from the hut into the library which is becoming quite the space to relax with a Mai Tai and a good read...

Again, thanks for the kind posts on this thread. I just hope to inspire others to make the most of whatever space they have.

Glad to have the heavy lifting done, but still lots more details to add and, as may be obvious, I have a tiki mug collection to build!

Mahalo!

tikisafari
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-18 12:56 am   Permalink

I know I'm a bit late to the thread, but that's an amazing transformation! You guys are so lucky to be able to find good stuff at garage sales and swap meets. That pretty much doesn't happen down here.

View Profile of tikisafari Send a personal message to tikisafari      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Bob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-18 01:06 am   Permalink

Great room & bar
Its really coming along! Its amazing what you have done with such limited space. Love it.
Trader Bob

View Profile of Trader Bob Send a personal message to Trader Bob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-18 03:35 am   Permalink

There's real devotion in them there details! Really nice!

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ashman_atl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-19 05:00 am   Permalink

Not much to update, but took a few daytime pics yesterday after getting the lighting installed under the awning. Had some friends drop by to check it out and so far the vote is not to tear it out and start over (relief)...

Sorry if some of these shots become a bit repetitive...

with flash...

Long view...

From above...

Had to cover up a lot of white drywall (still more to do) and found some great paper that kind of matched the stain colors (ebony/jacobean) I used on the paneling and other wood. This is it behind the Ku... (almost looks like bamboo paneling)...

And picked up this frame for 69 cents at the thrift store. Took out the poem matted with mauve and teal and put in this picture I reduced and printed off from the computer...

Have a few more smaller shelves to put up this week as well as a couple more small projects and then it's the quest for clutter...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation