FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Kanaloa Lounge
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
The Kanaloa Lounge
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-03 7:43 pm   Permalink

Hey thanks everyone! It's so awesome to read the encouraging comments. Especially since some of you have such beautiful tiki spaces yrselves (I'm looking at you Lake Surfer and Zulu Magoo)...

I have a few photo updates. Last night I started stamping the tapa patterns on the soffit. I have to thank Howland and Tikiville for inspiring me to try it, but in all honesty, I've been dreading this step. I just wasn't sure if I'd be able to make it look authentic enough. Anyway, here are some snapshots:

Yes, that is me with the mutton chops SDT.

I DO like how the pattern melds with the pot lights.

But overall, I'm still not sure if I like it yet...and I'll prolly feel better about it when I'm done. I guess I can live with it for now.

A question: Does anyone have any ideas for the ceiling? I'm thinking burlap with bamboo accents at this time...Your thoughts?

Mahalo again everyone!

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skootiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-03 7:46 pm   Permalink

I saw this new forum and this was the first thread........INCREDIBLE! I was so enthralled that I didn't even notice that you made your own tiles for the bar untill I scrolled through it again. Fantastic work, I am jealous and inspired at the same time.

View Profile of skootiki Send a personal message to skootiki  Email skootiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-04 11:20 am   Permalink

I dig your stamped tapa...alot more refined than then the sloppy one I'm still chipping away at .
I find real TAPA for reasonable prices (sometimes) on ebay,and Michaels usually has black fishing nets ( best thing to do is buy something cheap and get a 50% off cupon and then buy the net or wit till the weekend flyers in the paper for cupons)and fill the ceiling with nets!
Or yeah your burlap idea is another ,I've purchease burlap by the meter for less than 3 dollars...

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ashman_atl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-04 12:05 pm   Permalink

Tapa stampage is looking real good. Are you using a Speedball type product for the stamps or woodcuts? Great designs. How much effort and $$ do you want to put into that ceiling? Seagrass looks great, but the idea about the netting is a good way to get effect at low cost and save your back.

View Profile of ashman_atl Send a personal message to ashman_atl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-04 2:49 pm   Permalink

Very Impressive!!! (understatement)

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-06 10:00 am   Permalink

Yes, that rock wall is probably the coolest thing I've ever seen in a bar.
The rest of the place is first rate, too.
Nicely done.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-07 07:45 am   Permalink

Great work on the tapa and that rocl wall is truly awesome.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfer rob

Posted: 2010-03-09 12:23 pm   Permalink

man- that is awesome. Nice work!

View Profile of surfer rob Send a personal message to surfer rob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-09 2:25 pm   Permalink

WOW! I am completely blown away!
Glad to see all of the progress shots, the mural with the lighting effects looks fantastic!

Absolutely stunning!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-11 8:50 pm   Permalink

Thanks again folks! Here's a few recent shots:

The bar with the bottles (and mood-killing flash):

And again:

The soffit is done, the Witco is up:

This is a side I haven't really shown much. It's kind of been a dirty little secret so far...In the near future I will be putting wood planks on the walls. That wood will have a busted nautical wreck appearance. Through a hole in the wreckage you will be able to spy the fish tank that will sit on that shelf:

Shots of the bar with different light:

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-13 12:03 am   Permalink

That is just crazy! Making your own tapa, tiles, lava....your place is a GESAMTKUNSTWERK!

It makes me wish I could come by with a lighting package and replicate the mood one will experience in person in photos.

And I wish I had the time to view every thread on this whole amazing, exploding home bar section on TC. Mindboggling work, y'all!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-01 2:04 pm   Permalink

Great work! An inspiration indeed. Love the mural and the tapa cloth.

View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-11 11:03 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words folks! It's cool when you can get kudos from a guy like Sven.

Here's a few newer shots. I've been (very slowly) plugging away at getting the ceiling finished. I'm not near the end yet, but I thought I'd post a few progress shots anyway:

I've started adding a bit of the "shipwreck wood":

Here's just a few more random shots of the room:

Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-13 11:10 pm   Permalink

Everything looks great! I think the important question is... when do we get to see it in person??

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-14 12:28 am   Permalink

Awesome!

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation