FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Kanaloa Lounge
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
The Kanaloa Lounge
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-12 08:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-20 19:56, Slacks Ferret wrote:
Mahalo for the compliments folks!

Here's a few more progress shots:

Port Hole mirror on the door:

Horrible flash photo (so you can see the detail) of the "nautical wall" aquarium area:

Ahh...that's better:

No fish yet (hell, there's no water either)...but there's some (slow) progress being made.

Wow, that's really cool...kinda like the Shipwreck bar in Ft Lauderdale. Awesome !

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-12 12:00 pm   Permalink

Thanks Rugby, Bongo and Tikiyaki.

Now, anyone have any ideas how I should cut-off the storage room from the tiki lounge? Curtain, Bamboo beads? I'm just looking for some ideas...

BTW: That will be an A-Frame(ish) entrance when it's done.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-12 12:12 pm   Permalink

How about something like these doors ?

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-12 6:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-11 20:38, Slacks Ferret wrote:

Doo doodle Doot doot!

essage was edited by: Slacks Ferret 2010-11-11 20:40 ]

Doot doot!

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suicide Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-12 11:11 pm   Permalink

I'm speechless. Everything is kicka$$ in your bar.

View Profile of Suicide Tiki Send a personal message to Suicide Tiki  Email Suicide Tiki Goto the website of Suicide Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-19 12:32 am   Permalink

To do something something different but still nautical you could put dogs on the hatch with the porthole.

[ This Message was edited by: Wayfarer 2010-11-19 00:33 ]

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-20 04:37 am   Permalink

How did you do the rock wall? I love the look, and I actually figured it'd be a waterfall or fountains, a la Jolly Roger Inn (Enchanted Forest theme park, Oregon). Everything looks amazing, but the lava wall and the blacklight-illuminated mural are spectacular!

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-20 09:04 am   Permalink

Thanks again for the comps.

Tikiyaki: I love that swinging moai saloon door, but I think I want something that blocks more of the ugly storage hallway(which, eventually, will be mostly behind curtains)...plus, those doors look like they would need to be carved by someone with more talent than I.

Wayfarer: I had to look up what you were talking about...my knowledge of nautical terminology is about as good as you can expect from a Prairie Boy.

TorchGuy: The lava rock is pretty easy to do. I asked a friend, who used to help fabricate movies sets, what she would do. She asked if I was gonna do it with water, and I said no, so she suggested this method:

First- hot glue styrofoam to the wall. Cut away any styrofoam that doesn't look like lava rock, and then, if you desire, you can add Spray Insulation foam from a can (Like "Great Stuff").

I then covered everything with about 3 coats of white glue (Elmer's school glue) over top. After that, you add a nice 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch layer of Drywall Putty/Compound/Paste (it makes sense to add a bunch of black pigment to the putty before you use it).

Let that dry a bit (but not too much) and then use the bristle edge of an old broom to add tiny holes allover the "rock". I then randomly added some bigger holes and painted the whole thing black with acrylic or latex paint.

If you try this, I'd love to see photos. And keep in mind, this isn't the waterproof method for constructing water features.

Right now I'm using a VERY similar method for finishing off the palm tree trunk. I guess you could say I like using this method. I'll post some progress photos of that real soon.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-21 1:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-01 20:43, Slacks Ferret wrote:
Some more recent updates:

Hinged bamboo "post" reveals an electrical outlet:

Great look!! I'm thinking of trying these out on my deck post out back.

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lovelybunchofcoconuts

Posted: 2010-11-21 8:48 pm   Permalink

Another Wow! Love your flame wall!

View Profile of Lovelybunchofcoconuts Send a personal message to Lovelybunchofcoconuts      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-24 07:21 am   Permalink

Sorry about that, I'm a Sailor so I've a half-***ed grasp of nautical terminology. Still, I'm enjoying your work a lot.

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-24 08:13 am   Permalink

No need to apologize! T'sall Gud! It's an interesting idea, BTW. Just not sure where I would find "dogs" for that door.

Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-02 12:30 pm   Permalink

I got more done on the palm tree:

At this point I'm just gonna live with it for a while, and then I'm gonna make some changes...

Took the bar out for another test drive last Saturday:

Everyone seemed to like it how it handled. (My hosting skills kinda suck though...I have a one "fancy" drink limit before I switched everyone to beer and wine. Just easier on me that way).

Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-02 4:25 pm   Permalink

Dude, I can't believe some of the shit you're doing down there! When you started on the palm tree, I thought, "well, that'll be cute in a fake, plastic kind of way". But it's actually looking really, well, real! When are you going to invite the Edmonton circuit down for a drink?
PS. I know what you mean about the fancy drink minimum. It just takes too long and you end up doing nothing but making drinks for people!

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BIG TIKI'S
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-12-02 5:00 pm   Permalink

Props to you man!

That place rocks and you deserve a STANDING O for the work you have done. I agree that tree is looking very real... The fish tank is just crazy cool! Can't wait to see more.

View Profile of BIG TIKI'S Send a personal message to BIG TIKI'S  Email BIG TIKI'S     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation