FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts the simple PUFFER FLOAT LAMP pictures
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
the simple PUFFER FLOAT LAMP pictures
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-23 10:08 pm   Permalink

Are you folks using those cheap-o puffer fish with the goog-goog-googly eyes you can pick up in seaside novelty stores? And thanks for the info about using a mask - I have a hyper-sensitive sniffer and would hate to have THAT stuck in my sinuses for a week - yuck!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spiked
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-24 08:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-23 21:37, ka'lenatiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-07-23 12:57, TikiTres wrote:
Spiked, those look great! Where did you get the globes? I have an extra puffer that's waiting to be stuck into a globe like that

Check back on page one of this thread.....
did mine in blue, must get pics posted.........

First one I did, I used the fish tank, the second one- I found an acrylic globe for it, it is more round and safe, so I liked that better. I actually have the second one up on evilbay right now...

View Profile of spiked Send a personal message to spiked      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-24 9:31 pm   Permalink

"First one I did, I used the fish tank, the second one- I found an acrylic globe for it, it is more round and safe, so I liked that better. I actually have the second one up on evilbay right now"

Nice.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-24 10:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-23 21:37, ka'lenatiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-07-23 12:57, TikiTres wrote:
Spiked, those look great! Where did you get the globes? I have an extra puffer that's waiting to be stuck into a globe like that

Check back on page one of this thread.....
did mine in blue, must get pics posted.........

Doh! Didn't see that, mahalo! When I was typing that I was actually thinking "seems like I saw a globe like that at Michaels"

View Profile of TikiTres Send a personal message to TikiTres  Email TikiTres     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-24 10:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-23 22:08, beadtiki wrote:
Are you folks using those cheap-o puffer fish with the goog-goog-googly eyes you can pick up in seaside novelty stores? And thanks for the info about using a mask - I have a hyper-sensitive sniffer and would hate to have THAT stuck in my sinuses for a week - yuck!

Yeah, I picked up a couple from Bosko a couple of years back, made one into a lamp right away and have been saving the other to do as a globe lamp. And I can also verify that as the others said, they are STINKY when you cut them open I wore a respirator, but the smell lingers on long after the cutting is done, even outdoors.

Edit to add- I was thinking I had written a how-to on lamp-i-fying a puffer, I just searched and found it on page 3 of this thread (from '08):

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=7028&forum=18&start=30

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTres 2010-07-24 22:48 ]

View Profile of TikiTres Send a personal message to TikiTres  Email TikiTres     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spiked
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-25 12:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-24 21:31, tikiskip wrote:

Nice.

Thanks! You were right when you said that things get better with more practice. Thank you for the encouragement!

I turned about 6 puffers into lamps, globes or by themselves, and another thing that is really annoying is the stuffing inside. Tricky to get it all out. Please wear gloves especially when you dealing with stuffing . Puffers make me bleed, lol! And wear goggles, one of the spikes flew into my eye, all ok, but it was unpleasant, so bottom line, just be careful

View Profile of spiked Send a personal message to spiked      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-26 5:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the info and links - I'm gonna make my dad do all the cutting - especially since all the equipment is at his place!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation