FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Secret Tiki Bar Discovered in Hollywood Hills
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Secret Tiki Bar Discovered in Hollywood Hills
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-02 2:55 pm   Permalink

The electronica DJ (I think?) Moby just bought an old mansion near the Hollywood sign called "Wolf's Lair" (Efrem Zimbalist Jr. of 77 Sunset Strip used to live there, among others).

He's been posting shots on the LA Curbed site as he's been exploring, and apparently he's just discovered that up a secret staircase behind a tunnel, there's a pretty damn amazing secret tiki bar:

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2010/04/inside_the_secret_tiki_bar_ritz_opening_tomorrow.php

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-04-02 3:02 pm   Permalink

That's amazing. A secret hidden Tiki bar. I do something similar at my house. Before leading guests to my home Tiki bar, I make them put a paper bag over their head.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-02 3:09 pm   Permalink

Dear Mr. Moby,
I love your tiki bar way Coooolll!!
It looks like you are in need of some tiki style lighting.
At this time I have many tiki style lights I can sell you.
Plus I can make you all you need.
Pm me if interested.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-02 3:11 pm   Permalink

video

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-02 3:33 pm   Permalink

It's stunning!!!!!!!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-02 3:41 pm   Permalink

Isn't it gorgeous? I wrote about that bar on my blog a couple years ago when the house hit the market:

http://blog.humuhumu.com/2008/06/26/hollywood-home-tiki-bar-for-sale-only-75-million

(Fun tidbit: the "robin leach" comment on the blog post really did come from Robin Leach. He's like the Bloody Mary of the internet, you say his name and he appears.)

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-02 4:05 pm   Permalink

All yours for ONLY $6.75M

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Bob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-02 4:23 pm   Permalink

What a magical place! Can only imagine the people and party's that took place there.

View Profile of Trader Bob Send a personal message to Trader Bob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-04-02 5:23 pm   Permalink

Very Cool! I'm really diggin that bamboo, I need a little getaway just like that....But with some of tikiskip's lamps inside though..
Wish we could see a close up of the paintings... Anyone here friends with Mobi??

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-02 6:58 pm   Permalink

Flash back! This thread jogged a memory from my childhood. When I was a kid I cut grass for people, one was a rich guy who started a furniture company in Ohio. Anyway, HE had a secret bar off his basement. It was filled with a sword collection he picked up as he traveled the world. (Good account, he paid me well for postage stamp sized patches of grass.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-04-02 8:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:
he's just discovered that up a secret staircase behind a tunnel...

How cool would it be just to find that in your house??? and then a tiki bar at the end??? awesome.
That house must be gigantic.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-02 10:43 pm   Permalink

I'll take it.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-02 10:46 pm   Permalink

I hate Moby....he gets all the big commercial work.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-02 11:20 pm   Permalink

I hope Moby understands what he has, and doesn't decide to shitcan the bar for a mini studio!

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-03 12:43 am   Permalink

I would venture a guess that that Pre-Tiki rumpus room might have been a contributing factor to the purchase of the place. He has Polynesian pop in his blood:

"Born September 11, 1965 in Harlem, New York City. Given the legal name Richard Melville Hall. Given the nickname 'Moby' at birth due to having Herman Melville as an ancestor."

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation