FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Lush Goes Latin -Marty Lush LIVE May 1st
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
Lush Goes Latin -Marty Lush LIVE May 1st
Hiphipahula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-30 11:40 am   Permalink

It was great to chat with so many folks at Trader Vic's last night that bought tickets to the show! I'm really looking forward to hearing the Exotics sounds of the Latin Livers and visiting with everyone. BUY YOUR TICKET NOW You want to be assured a seat.
Come experience to tastes of HipHips all Original
"South of the Border Menu"

Thank You Eric October for the table tents! They look tiki fabulous!

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-30 4:07 pm   Permalink

in...ya know like on, along with the rest of the NorCal Tiki Underground...see ya'll there

View Profile of KuKu Send a personal message to KuKu  Email KuKu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-30 5:30 pm   Permalink

View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-01 11:53 am   Permalink

Marti Lushito esta noche.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSVkOl-5dZw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwCTiAQs8DU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPVHOzeGXuA&feature=related

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Joe's Pop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-01 2:27 pm   Permalink

Rompa una pierna esta noche, coo-coos!!!
Viva los Latin Livers!!!!!!!!
-Andy

View Profile of Tiki Joe's Pop Send a personal message to Tiki Joe's Pop  Goto the website of Tiki Joe's Pop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-02 09:11 am   Permalink

Lo Siento, Don Martin'!

I had to play a gig last night, so I was not able to make it! I hope some posts some videos!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-02 09:58 am   Permalink

Amazing show last night.
I'm guessing that most TC'ers were expecting some sort of joke lounge act a la richard cheeze....NOT !
Well, Marty was Marty, all the bad jokes you'd expect, some fun singing, and an even cheezier latin accent that came and went, but other than that...AMAZING .

These guys are all super shredding musicians...including Marty, whom, and tore it up on the piano. (who knew he had those skills ?) That guitar player was probably the fastest guitar player I think I've ever seen, sax player, awesome, percussionist, awesome...it was all good
Squid did amazingly on only a few rehearsals, and sounded right at home.

Great Show ! Ole' !!!!

Oh, one more thing...

Marty, you're fired !

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-02 10:16 am   Permalink

Ooops, double post deleted...

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-05-02 10:27 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-02 10:25 am   Permalink

This was an AMAZING evening !!

You know I regret never have been able to experience the whole Las Vegas lounge room scene of late 1950's and early 1960's. From what I've read and seen in videos, those performances were intimate affairs where the musicians could have fun, joke around with the audience, as well as deliver a first-rate show of musical talent.

Now while the Latin Livers were not playing "Lounge Music" per se, that same sense of mid-century fun, spontaneity, and musical ability were all present last night at the Tonga Hut. Dressed in a Matador's outfit, Marty Lush was truly Tiki Revival's Dean Martin or in this case Ricky Ricardo.

I wasn't sure where they'd draw their exact inspiration from. Salsa, Jazz, Exotica, TJB-style Latin, Bossa Nova ? I heard influences from all those but (to this musical neophyte's ears) a key emphasis was Latin-based jazz. This was especially evident in all of the fantastic guitar, percussion, drum, and sax solos that were played. The sax player (sorry I forgot his name) was especially amazing and Squid did one really cool drum solo.

The spirit of irreverence was shown in Marty Lush's vocal rendition of "The Girl with Emphysema" (inspired from the "Girl from Ipanema" but according to him, it's the other way around). They also jammed through an incredible medley of 2-chord hits beginning with "Wild Thing".

They all played like they had been a band for years, but FilthyMidget told me they were only able to rehearse three times prior to the evening. I was shocked !! Even Tonga Hut owner Jeremy joined in on the action with his V-shaped guitar.

The Tonga Hut provided the perfect venue for such an intimate affair, its Tiki decor supplemented with Mexican accessories. I hope someone snapped a picture of the Moai with the sombrero.

To cap off the perfection of the evening was Hiphipalhula's amazing Tequila-based cocktails. They were all really really good. I'm not really a tequila person but if she puts those drinks into the regular rotation, I may be switching to a new alcohol.

Here's a photo I took but since Tonga Tom was on the scene, I'm sure we can look forward to full photographic documentation of the evening.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tom
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-02 11:17 am   Permalink

View Profile of Tonga Tom Send a personal message to Tonga Tom  Goto the website of Tonga Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hula Lula
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-02 12:15 pm   Permalink

Marty Lush and his Latin Livers were INCREDIBLE!
They blew the roof off the Tonga Hut!!
It is unbelievable they only practiced together a few times. They played so tight it was as if they were reading each other's minds!

The music was sooooooo good and I loved Marty's sexy accent and especially his rendition of Cuban Pete.
Plus all the jamming was fantastic!
Squid killed it on the drums
and the sax , percussion, bass and guitarist were also amazing.

I hope they will play again some time!

Kelly's special drinks were delicious and beautiful!
The Taquito, an extra spicy drink inspired by a mojito was my favorite

Here are a few pics

There was even a special appearance by Tonga Hut's Coco Loco Jeremy!

Maggie could not resist the animal magnetism of the Lush
and attacked him right on the dance floor!

View Profile of Hula Lula Send a personal message to Hula Lula  Goto the website of Hula Lula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Marty Lush
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-02 6:24 pm   Permalink

I just wanted to take a brief sober and serious moment to thank all of you who came out last night and those who couldn't make it, but nonetheless supported the show!!  This was my first and, at least for now, my only venture out on my own.  All the kind words about the show really make me feel very special. 

Thank every one of you who posted on the show thread, thank each of you who bought tickets and thank you all for the wonderfully kind critiques of the show.  It was one of the most fun and special evenings I have ever had.  I got to be a complete goof on stage as well as pound out some fun Latin music, all with many of my closest friends.

I also want to especially thank Jeramy from Tonga Hut for allowing me to take over the place for one night.  Big mahalos go out to Kelly (Hiphipahula) for coming up with some amazing cocktails just for this show and this one night!!!!

My deepest thanks go out to the extraordinary musicians who really made the show--the Latin Livers: Barry Bedore on guitar, Justin Grinnell on bass, Bill Shreeve on saxophone, Nelson Ortiz on percussion, and of course Squid on drums.

Thanks to Eric October for the fun artwork he did for the web site and the table toppers!  Thanks to Tom and Sheriyaky for decorating the Hut with foliage!!

But most of all I want to thank all of you for making this one-time show, one for the record books!!!

Mahalo,
Marty

View Profile of Marty Lush Send a personal message to Marty Lush  Email Marty Lush     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOBU
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-03 08:05 am   Permalink

You Rock Marty....
Please do another one SOON

JOBU

View Profile of JOBU Send a personal message to JOBU  Email JOBU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-03 08:49 am   Permalink

one time show?
Noooooooo

you must play again.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-03 08:50 am   Permalink

Pleeeeez do another show Marty!
All us artisrts and vendors were putting last minute touches on our booths and whatnot
and couldn't make the jaunt...
Pleeeez?
Word of mouth around BooBen's Garage Sale
attested to the awesomeness and fun time you boys brought
to the Tonga Hut..
Viva Marty Lush!
Viva El Latin Livers!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation