FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Lush Goes Latin -Marty Lush LIVE May 1st
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
Lush Goes Latin -Marty Lush LIVE May 1st
Marty Lush
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-04 10:27 am   Permalink

Oh my god!!! I have to say it before anyone else does--- does that outfit make me
look fat? Seriously, I look like I'm busting out all over!!

View Profile of Marty Lush Send a personal message to Marty Lush  Email Marty Lush     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2010-05-04 10:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-04 10:27, Marty Lush wrote:
Oh my god!!! I have to say it before anyone else does--- does that outfit make me

Nah it only appears a little um... SNUG! in these pictures because the Tonga Hut gets tiny when it fills up with people.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-04 10:38 am   Permalink

No, it not make you LOOK fat, it just shows that you ARE fat.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-04 11:00 am   Permalink

No Marty, you didn't look fat the shirt came a bit un-tucked and gave a look of spill over. Your costume was fantastic! You must do it again!

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-04 11:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-04 07:45, bigbrotiki wrote:
Excellent documentation, Tom! I like the way your flash just concentrates on the center of the image and leaves the edges dark, that saves it from destroying the mood.

I wish I could have seen that band, Martin Denny started out as Latin musician after all, but I had three nights of boozing with the Bum (at La Cana, Vic's and the Ti twice) behind me, which dragged out my voice-cold to become a full blown one, so I was out.

The two most popular tropical cocktails in Germany have been the Cuban Mojito, (which we all know is made with white rum, sugar, soda, lime and LOTS of muddled mint), and its counterpart, the Brazilian Caipirinha, which is made from Cachassa (spelled for pronunciation), and uses sugar and LOTS of muddled limes. Very yummy. I was on a bender once at a wrap party and made it to 14 Caipies. It is much tougher to muddle limes than mint, so mixologists use sturdy glasses, and wooden muddlers such as this one:

So Cachassa was the perfect choice for a Latin evening, but it is not surprising that non-Europeans don't know it and would think it would be Tequila -another good choice for a Latin party.

Thanks Sven for your follow up, perfect, thank you. Yes, a wooden muddler and a flash blender goes a long way.

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Marty Lush
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-04 1:34 pm   Permalink

BigBro, I never knew that Denny started in a Latin band! Wow that's cool. Latin is definitely borrowed from in many exotica arrangements for sure. Actually if you listen to Bahia by Arthur Lyman, they break into a cha cha cha pattern and someonebyells "vaya". Very Latin influenced indeed.

View Profile of Marty Lush Send a personal message to Marty Lush  Email Marty Lush     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-04 2:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Once the banana came out of your pants, your toreador ensemble fit just fine, Marty. Oh yeah, with that comment now I've made all the non-attendees envious! It WAS quite a show!

If anything made anyone fat, it was the gigantic box of candy I brought Grog as trade for holding a primo view seat for me. Thank you, Grog!

And, thank you, Marty, for putting on such a great night of music and just plain FUN. It really did feel like we'd all stepped back in time and were part of some intimate nightclub show circa 1962. The whole evening was superb, from Kelly's original drinks to Eric's table decorations to, of course, the amazing musicianship. More, por favor!

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-04 3:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-04 13:34, Marty Lush wrote:
BigBro, I never knew that Denny started in a Latin band! Wow that's cool. Latin is definitely borrowed from in many exotica arrangements for sure. Actually if you listen to Bahia by Arthur Lyman, they break into a cha cha cha pattern and someonebyells "vaya". Very Latin influenced indeed.

Lots of latin going on it exotica....guiro, bongos, congas, timbales...that's just percussion instruments alone, then there is cha cha, bossa, and other rhythms, as well as the tunes they covered.

Yes, Exotica owes alot to Latin music.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Joe's Pop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-04 4:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-04 15:08, tikiyaki wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-05-04 13:34, Marty Lush wrote:

Lots of latin going on it exotica....guiro, bongos, congas, timbales...that's just percussion instruments alone, then there is cha cha, bossa, and other rhythms, as well as the tunes they covered.

Yes, Exotica owes alot to Latin music.

No doubt, fellas. It's hard to find a cut from an Exotica LP without the above mentioned Latin instruments, not to mention some claves, shakers, blocks- even the Brazillian cuica pops up every once in a while. The list goes on & the Latin influence is huge! Happy to hear its influence in present day music on this "scene."

View Profile of Tiki Joe's Pop Send a personal message to Tiki Joe's Pop  Goto the website of Tiki Joe's Pop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Joe's Pop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-04 4:43 pm   Permalink

Oh, congrats again Marty & the Livers! Looked like a superb night.

View Profile of Tiki Joe's Pop Send a personal message to Tiki Joe's Pop  Goto the website of Tiki Joe's Pop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-07 6:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Whoa, Mr Hollywood!
You better start working out cause you are headin for the big stage!
And the big stage, like TV, makes you look even "bigger"

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-08 3:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-04 14:28, Tangaroa-Ru wrote:

If anything made anyone fat, it was the gigantic box of candy I brought Grog as trade for holding a primo view seat for me. Thank you, Grog!

Yeah, we polished off one box of that delicious Disneyland chocolate before we left that night... thank you Grog indeed... and Kari, too!

But do you hear the din of the chorus clamoring for another performance, Marty Lush? Do ya? Huh?

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-11 11:45 pm   Permalink

Take this show on the road! Ok maybe Socal or NorCal but you folks gotta hear them!

Marty Lush
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-12 3:15 pm   Permalink

Wow!! Thank you all again for the enthusiasm! I really didn't expect the show to go over so well. That's basically why I only planned it as a one-off thing. But who knows, if the opportunity presents itself and all the musicians' schedules are free, it may happen. It really was a lot of fun and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy thy everyone liked it so
much!

Cheers,
Marty

cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-14 09:05 am   Permalink

That was one hell of a show!!! Sorry for the late response but we just got back from our visit to CA and are playing catch up. This show was absolutely the highlight of our little trip (Although the Dougles Snuggles Party was a pretty close second) and we consider ourselves damn lucky to have been able to have been a part of it!
Here are some more pictures that really do seem to sum up the absolute feeling of joy and just plain FUN the whole thing was.

Viva Marty Lush and his Latin Livers!!!

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation