FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » Lush Goes Latin -Marty Lush LIVE May 1st
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
Lush Goes Latin -Marty Lush LIVE May 1st
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-08 09:34 am   Permalink

welcome to Tiki Central,
Now give us your Money.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-08 10:12 am   Permalink

spoken like a true cheapskate....

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-08 10:28 am   Permalink

¿Dónde está el amor, BTD?

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-08 10:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-08 00:38, squid wrote:

And by the way...thanks for YOUR 8 bucks JOHN-O! Lush already squandered it on a new pair of lime green spandex tights.

Hey I paid $16 !!

Don't tell me you guys are already dipping into the ticket sales and have lost track of the accounting.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-08 12:35 pm   Permalink

Well I like green spandex.

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-08 3:00 pm   Permalink

Just got our tix.

View Profile of TNT Send a personal message to TNT  Email TNT     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Marty Lush
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-08 8:47 pm   Permalink

John-O,
in all seriousness (which I am rarely), you are dead on it. Those "exotic rhythms" are in fact based on Afro-Cuban and traditional African beats and instruments. In fact our national anthem "Quiet Village"(the Denny version) uses guiro as the main percussion instrument...very latin indeed. In the 50's when most of this stuff was coming into its own, Latin music was big as well--ala Tito Puente, Perez Prado, Cugat, and yes, Desi Arnaz. Latin music was considered tropical sounds from far away lands too.

View Profile of Marty Lush Send a personal message to Marty Lush  Email Marty Lush     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FilthyMidget
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-09 08:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-08 10:28, Joe Banks wrote:
¿Dónde está el amor, BTD?

Mis amor es en mi pantalones <3

aka The Filthy Midget

View Profile of FilthyMidget Send a personal message to FilthyMidget  Email FilthyMidget     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-09 09:22 am   Permalink

So playing that horn is how he is able to hit the high notes!!!

Rav...LOL Missed that Kitty Lipstick...Excellent

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2010-04-09 09:29 ]

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-09 3:46 pm   Permalink

This sounds fun, I might actually grace this show with my presence.

No promises though.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-10 12:03 am   Permalink

Good job, Boris. That specific satire was the bulls-eye. I have a feeling of what's coming next, it will truly be horrifying.

Also Marty Lush, I assumed the Latin Livers would be a Post-Exotica Latin sound but it sounds like you're going the other way with Pre-Exotica. Either way, I look forward to the performance.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-04-10 00:07 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-11 02:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-08 20:47, Marty Lush wrote:
John-O,
in all seriousness (which I am rarely), you are dead on it. Those "exotic rhythms" are in fact based on Afro-Cuban and traditional African beats and instruments. In fact our national anthem "Quiet Village"(the Denny version) uses guiro as the main percussion instrument...very latin indeed. In the 50's when most of this stuff was coming into its own, Latin music was big as well--ala Tito Puente, Perez Prado, Cugat, and yes, Desi Arnaz. Latin music was considered tropical sounds from far away lands too.

The güiro ("gwee-roh" or "wee-roh"[1]) is a Cuban percussion instrument consisting of an open-ended, hollow gourd with parallel notches cut in one side. It is played by rubbing a wooden stick ("pua") along the notches to produce a ratchet-like sound. The güiro is commonly used in Latin-American music, and plays a key role in the typical cumbia rhythm section. The güiro is also known as calabazo, guayo, ralladera, or rascador. In Brazil it is commonly known as reco-reco.

I thought Lush was slurring his words so I had to look it up...

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-11 02:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-08 20:47, Marty Lush wrote:
John-O,

Is this some kind of "coming out of the closet" event, Lush?

[ This Message was edited by: bananabobs 2010-04-11 02:40 ]

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-11 07:40 am   Permalink

Be careful what you're implying there bananabobs. Yeah I know the imagery might not vibe the most "manly" but I'll wager that Desi Arnez got way more tail than Martin Denny ever did.

Also dude, Tiki is a predominately male sub-culture, where its participants like to lounge around in loud garish flowery shirts, imbibe in "girly" drinks, and listen to "elevator" music.

What is it they say about "glass houses" ??

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-04-11 08:01 ]

Hiphipahula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-11 12:06 pm   Permalink

Come to Lush goes Latin! (insert bad Photoshop here) look for the music forum people

May 1st Doors open at 8pm

Tonga Hut opens at 4pm join us for some
Tiki Cocktail Specials!

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation