FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki South Seas, Honolulu, HI (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
South Seas, Honolulu, HI (restaurant)
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-13 3:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-12 22:48, Dustycajun wrote:

Is this the South Seas you are referring to?

DC

Cannot be. That was on McCully Street and was closed long before Sven's adventure. However, This was the 1st "South Seas" I was referring to.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-05-13 15:19 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-14 11:03 am   Permalink

After a quick e-chat with Phil, we narrowed it down to a place called the SOUTH PACIFIC now, which was in Kahili, Honululu. My memory IS really foggy about this place...but our chat brought back one other dim memory: Peaking out the open back door into the back alley, I saw a really nicely carved, big Tiki leaning against the wall. I don't think I had a camera with me that day, but I should check my 90s photo boxes...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-14 6:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-14 11:03, bigbrotiki wrote:
After a quick e-chat with Phil, we narrowed it down to a place called the SOUTH PACIFIC now, which was in Kahili, Honululu.

Well maybe. The area, Sven described as a industrial-ish area near downtown. Sounds like Kalihi, or perhaps outer downtown (nearer to where Restaurant Row is today) Kalihi was the home of the "South Pacific restaurant and cocktail lounge." The only evidence I have of it's existance is this picture by Eric Yanagi from a book I own. I cannot even be sure of the location as being in Kalihi. I have never been able to locate the sign myself, nor find more information about the venue.

I did have some other thoughts on the mystery, but like Sven says, it was a "quick e-chat."

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-18 03:46 am   Permalink

Rocks glass from the South Seas Village Restaurant...

Piano player, Johnny Saclausa

http://www.bottomgun.com/bbs2/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1943&start=1

[ This Message was edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2010-05-19 01:53 ]

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-02 08:50 am   Permalink

I spotted this matchbook on ebay from the South Seas Village which is almost identical to the one I have from the South Seas.

Also grabbed images of a matchbook and menu from the original South Seas in Waikiki.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2011-01-08 06:20 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-27 4:21 pm   Permalink

From today...

Souvenir photo cover and photo from "The South Seas at Waikiki, Kalakaua and McCully, Waikiki Hawaii.

Later,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-27 11:54 pm   Permalink

PTD,

Great score on that old photo album. Very cool to get an inside look at such an old establishment. That guy on the left has to be Matt Dillon's dad or grandad, right down to the wicked smile!

Here is another matchbook from the South Seas with a nice rendering of the building from ebay.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-29 12:24 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Mighty Good stuff DC!

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-27 07:47 am   Permalink

I picked up an old tourist photo from the South Seas in Waikiki.

They had one of those big ship's vent pipes on the roof like Bahooka.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-08 10:30 am   Permalink

Here is a great photo of the exterior of the South Seas Village restaurant located on Kalakaua Ave. This is from a 1970s era Spencecliff restaurant guide book.

Some impressive Tiki poles and torches out front.

The restaurant description.

Glad to finally see a photo of the front of this location.

DC

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-08 10:44 am   Permalink

Yes indeed.

HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-12 02:33 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: HOUSE OF KU 2013-02-23 20:00 ]

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-13 4:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-12 02:33, HOUSE OF KU wrote:
Saw this at a collector show a few years ago....

UGH! my heart just skipped a beat.

wish that was still available.

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-13 7:10 pm   Permalink

OK, first off all, this thread encompasses Hawaii restaurants called "South Seas" - NOT "South Pacific".

Second, I have seen those South Pacific plates many a time.

I had always assumed they were related to a restaurant, but looking at that photo it is clear that they came from a home set and not a restaurant.

DC

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-23 08:56 am   Permalink

I missed that plate on eBay a few years back. Seeing the place makes me wish I'd bid more, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation