FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge I Am Tired Of...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
I Am Tired Of...
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-26 7:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-26 13:12, Chip and Andy wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-05-26 12:33, beadtiki wrote:
I'm tired of religious fanatics running the world!

Couldn't that just be shortened to 'being tired of religious fanatics'? The ones that aren't running the world can be just as annoying.

You're correct there - I accept this amendment with much humbleness

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-26 7:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-26 16:27, MadDogMike wrote:
Speaking of ad campaigns, I'm tired of the VW Slugbug campaign where they hit each other every time a Golf or Touareg passes by. The slugbug concept never encompased anything but the Beetle, not the bus, not the 412, not the Karmaan Ghia, not the Thing. Maybe it would traslate to the New Beetle, but saying "Slugbug" and hitting someone when you see a Passat is just stoopid.

I TOTALLY agree! Ugh - what an assinine commercial! They never had a "campaign" when the REAL slugbug came out - it was just something someone started and it caught on around the world! THIS one is SOOOO annoying!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-26 7:59 pm   Permalink

I'm tired of all the debt ads that are on during the day - it's like they're all aimed at me personally! Same with all the new ambulance chaser ads! I swear I'll soon be able to sue Ben & Jerry's for getting diabetes!

beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-26 8:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-26 13:45, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:

I never get tired of watching this.

Who could get tired of THAT!? I miss her and LOVED her best in History of the World Part I: "I love quicktime harch."

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-05 09:25 am   Permalink

I am tired of those little news items they scroll along the bottom of all those News Stations!
I feel like they're trying to subliminally implant certain ideals and opinions into
my brain while I'm watching what's happening in the bigger part of the screen!
It seems as if THEY are trying to induce psychic overload and distraction as well....

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 10:44 am   Permalink

People (particularly people in the media) going on about how stupid they think Facebook or Twitter updates are.

The general comment is pert near always "I don't get [social networking site]! I don't care what you had for lunch!"

Ha-ha! Hilarious.

Guess what? I think your updates on your radio or TV show about how you think social networking updates are stupid are unimaginative and boring and I'd really rather hear what you had for lunch.

If all the people you know online are just sharing dull and pointless updates there's a good chance you only know dull and pointless people. If you only know dull and pointless people there's also a good chance that you yourself are dull and pointless. It's a little like looking around at a Dungeons & Dragons marathon weekend you're attending at the local Holiday INN and thinking "Man, all these people are geeks!"

And here's something else to wrap your dull and pointless mind around: Life is not about trips to Paris or shaking the President's hand or big game hunting or robbing banks with your buddies in order to fund your extreme surfing lifestyle.

Life is about the ordinary moment to moment little day to day things. Such as what you had for lunch. And most of our conversations are about these simple things, especially with the people we interact with on a daily basis. Read this typical interaction between coworkers Tim and Other Tim:

"Hey there, Tim, How's things this morning?"

"Oh hi, Other Tim, things are good. Nice day, huh?"

"Yep, sure is."

"Oh, last night me and Mrs. Other Tim went to that new burger joint I told you about."

"That one that looks like a chain but isn't?"

"Yeah, that place. It was pretty good. Good prices. Great onion rings."

"So it's not like chain food?"

"No, not at all."

"Did they have..."

"Oh yeah, they got like three kinds of veggie burger. One of em is vegan."

"Cool, I'll have to check it out with Mrs. Tim some night."

"Oh yeah, you should, I bet you'll like it."

"So any thoughts on where to eat lunch today?"

(And so on. Then you die.)

Did you notice the lack of really exciting elements such as jumping out of airplanes or sharing a cab with the guy who invented Snausages?

That's life.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-16 11:22 am   Permalink

Vampires. I never really liked vampire movies to begin with, but with Twilight and True Blood etc. I'm completely over it.
Pretty boys and maxim model girls with fake pale skin sucking people's blood...enough already.

Also...Hip Hop.....the "music", lifestyle, attitude, and ebonics etc....TIRED of it. !

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 11:53 am   Permalink

Actually vampires might have been a significant influence on Tiki culture from a historical standpoint. Here's my logic:

1. In 1931, Universal Pictures releases "Dracula" starring Bela Lugosi. It's a smash hit ushering in a wave of "pre-code" classic horror films.

2. In 1932, "White Zombie" is released also starring Bela Lugosi. This is first introduction of Zombies (i.e. the reanimated dead) to the general public.

3. Two years later, in 1934 Don Beach introduces the Zombie cocktail. As written by Beachbum Berry "the Zombie put Don the Beachcomber's on the map". The rest is history.

So in other words, no vampires, no Tiki culture as we know it today.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-16 2:20 pm   Permalink

That's a stretch John-O

Do you reading on the history of "The Zombie"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_(cocktail)

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 2:46 pm   Permalink

Yup, and if you follow those Wikipedia links,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie#1930s

you get this description:

"In 1932, Victor Halperin directed White Zombie, a horror film starring Bela Lugosi. This film, capitalizing on the same voodoo zombie themes as Seabrook's book of three years prior, is often regarded as the first legitimate zombie film ever made. Here zombies are depicted as mindless, unthinking henchmen under the spell of an evil magician. Zombies, often still using this voodoo-inspired rationale, were initially uncommon in cinema...."

A lot of film critics consider this movie key in introducing the concept of a Zombie to the general public. Without it, Don Beach might have based his cocktail on some other idea (which might not have had the same popular iconongraphy that caught fire and inspired the Tropical cocktail boom).

I cite "Dracula" since it sparked the whole horror movie craze of the 1930's.

The way I see it, no Dracula --> no White Zombie --> no (inspired) Zombie Cocktail --> no 1930's Tropical cocktail boom --> no Tiki.

Think of it as "6 degrees of (Tiki) separation". I love those vampires !!

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-09-16 15:00 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-16 4:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-16 11:22, tikiyaki wrote:
Also...Hip Hop.....the "music", lifestyle, attitude, and ebonics etc....TIRED of it. !

Me too. I was for it before I was against it.

I was actually going to include this in my "S%#T that pisses you off" thread...mostly to do with a youth culture SO unlike all the ones that came before...meaning, every single youth culture of the past, including punk, had articulate, intelligent teens...not so with the "What up dawg" morons of today! There is just nothing there, except sullen, glum stupidity...and boring, ugly, hate filled music pumped up at volumes so high that you mistakenly think there is an earthquake happening in the car behind you! (Always a big, black gas-guzzling truck driven by a shaved headed ape- like creature who probably owns a pit-bull).

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Jim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-18 8:28 pm   Permalink

Every third mope or mopette in the supermarket on their effing cell phone or blackberry or texting.

View Profile of Haole Jim Send a personal message to Haole Jim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lokepa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-21 11:14 am   Permalink

tired of feeling like a foreigner in my own country where I was born right here in the USA!

View Profile of Lokepa Send a personal message to Lokepa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-21 12:17 pm   Permalink

"tired of feeling like a foreigner in my own country where I was born right here in the USA!" -Lokepa-

I bet
John Ross said something just like that round about 1829.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lokepa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-21 12:41 pm   Permalink

good point!

View Profile of Lokepa Send a personal message to Lokepa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation