FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Sven's "Sound of Tiki" cd listening party, Sat May 8th at Don the Beachcomber,6 to 9pm, free
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Sven's "Sound of Tiki" cd listening party, Sat May 8th at Don the Beachcomber,6 to 9pm, free
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-09 3:50 pm   Permalink

Sven, it was great to see and talk to you last night--and I am much enjoying listening to your CD today! It also sounds like you perceptively pinpointed the moment at which the "Don Ho" part of the evening was reached (as described in p. 44 of your liner notes)!

Brent

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-09 4:06 pm   Permalink

I disagree with that comparison.

Don Ho is Poly-Pop's own Frank Sinatra, our Elvis Presley.

He deserves RESPECT !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-09 4:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-09 14:56, bigbrotiki wrote:
So Jeff, Grog, Tonga Tom and Kelly, what about the above-mentioned, more intimate Tonga Room gathering, with Beachbum cocktails themed after some song titles on my CD ???

Quote:

On 2010-05-09 15:00, bigtikidude wrote:
I am up for djing at The Tonga Hut. If they want, You, and I.
Or Marty Lush is the resident dj there, he is very capable to.
either way. I will be there.
Jeff(btd)

Aaaah ssssoh!
I am sure Marty is capable! So if Lush is capable, and Don Ho was a lush, that means that Don Ho WAS capable -right?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Mantis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-09 11:30 pm   Permalink

Here's a nice picture my wife got last night of Sven and Jim. It was great to talk to
both, and interesting to find out that Sven and I had Iaido in common.

View Profile of Tiki Mantis Send a personal message to Tiki Mantis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-10 09:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-09 14:56, bigbrotiki wrote:
Welllll....it kinda was spread a little thin in the beginning, Tikiphile wise, with Seal Beach locals being the majority. Nothing wrong with that, it just didn't feel appropriate to interrupt their Basketball TV-watching with obscure musings about why that Martin Denny poster in my booklet was so cool and so on...so I had more of a one-on-one with ol' friends....later, more familiar folks trickled in, but then it was time for the Boardwalkers to set up, and for me to listen. They sure have a great sound, classic guitar surf, yet not too loud for that little bar room. But when that money guy and his Ukrainian girlfriend started to dirty dance, I had to split.

So Jeff, Grog, Tonga Tom and Kelly, what about the above-mentioned, more intimate Tonga Room gathering, with Beachbum cocktails themed after some song titles on my CD ???

It's a GO! The Tonga Hut is touching base with Sven as I write this good Tiki Folks! No worries, a Signing Party with Sven for The Sound Of Tiki will happen here, at the Hut for all you "Valleyites" and those who can make it out, we throw the best Tiki Parties anywhere. I would certainly suggest you get your copy of The Sounds Of Tiki now, sooner that later as those Sven and Shag signing lines at Oasis are quite long.
Stand by for a Thread-post on the date and time. I'm excited!

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-10 10:04 am   Permalink

I hate sports especially in a Tiki Bar!! Thanks for signing my books and CD Sven!! It would have been alot nicer if they would have shut that stupid basketball game off!!! I just wanted to listen to what Jeff was spinning!! BTW Sven the CD looks fricking great. I will be giving it a good listening to tonight in "The Blowhole"

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-10 10:08 am   Permalink

HA HA HA!!!!
Thanks Spermy,
I agree about sports in a tiki bar.
But you gotta do, what gets people in the place to make some money.
If I had the Cash to make the best Tiki Bar in the world,
It probably wouldn't be packed, as it would be more like a Heroin Den, but with Rum.

the few customers would love it, but the General public wouldn't get it,
and I'd go out of business.

Back to the CD.
Sven, gave it a few more listens at home on sun.
Great flow and vibe to it.
can't wait for more.

Jeff(btd)

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2010-05-10 13:23 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-10 1:05 pm   Permalink

Thanks Sven and Kelly for lining up a CD signing event at the Tonga Hut.

Hopefully soon and on a Friday or Saturday evening?

Cheers! G

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-10 3:20 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Spermy. And Jeff, I totally agree: ANYTHING that helps keep Don's busy is good with me!

Tiki Mantis, Thanks for the photo: The man behind Tikiyaki gives a thumbs up to the Sound of Tiki CD, cool ! ...and here is a post that delves into a funny incident from my Iaido past:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=35199&forum=11&vpost=506594

And Kelly, am looking forward to do an SOT event for the Northern LA Ohana

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-10 4:02 pm   Permalink

Good times at DTB! Sven signing, Jeff spinning, and Ukrainian girls gone wild!
Snapped a few before things turned into a Russ Meyers film. Should have snapped
a few more after, but we were laughing too hard to keep the camera straight.
Special thanks goes out to Dr. Z for taking one for the tiki team!

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation