FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Found Witco Bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Found Witco Bar
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-05 7:30 pm   Permalink

Randy, those Moais are CLEARLY pasted into that photo, not only the contrast, but the perspective is wrong. So are the burning torches. And then it would not surprise if the thatch, the car and the sign are, too. Someone just couldn't find a good shot of the place and wanted to help it along a little.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bali O Hai O
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-05 8:07 pm   Permalink

Yes that photo is retouched in every way ... the Statues were closer to the building the torches were near the entrance, the sign was never on the building, the flower beds were lava rock and as i said I don't remember any thatch roof, no waitresses in grass skirts. yes! The artist rendering from the matchbook is not entirely correct either, that was maybe close to how it looked in 1959, it morphed over the years.

A better photo is on it's way, I talked to a former owner today from when it was Jon & Co. cafe, they have some stuff I am sure will be cool to look at. I can't believe there isn't anything left inside that basement, I need to talk to the Realtor to schedule a tour, I will try yo get some current photos as well. The building is empty now, Ashleys went out of business last year.

The sign by the road was made by Canton Sign Co. and was known as the chopstick sign, those signs are popular with the "Googie" sign hunters.

View Profile of Bali O Hai O Send a personal message to Bali O Hai O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-05 9:07 pm   Permalink

Sounds great, photo documentation and vintage images are what makes these threads come alive. Maybe you find a 8x11 black wood frame with that Jackie Gleason picture under a stack of stuff in the basement...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-05 9:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-05 19:30, bigbrotiki wrote:
Randy, those Moais are CLEARLY pasted into that photo, not only the contrast, but the perspective is wrong. So are the burning torches. And then it would not surprise if the thatch, the car and the sign are, too. Someone just couldn't find a good shot of the place and wanted to help it along a little.

hahahaha!

sven, you really do make me laugh sometimes. i love the way you just lay that out. i totally agree with you, but the way you put it just kind of tickled me. it makes me glad to know you. your knowledge is something i look for in these types of threads. cheers!

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-05-05 11:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-05 12:18, TIKI DAVID wrote:
tread very carefully people.

Agreed. Something is wrong here.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-05 11:36 pm   Permalink

Hmmm...the only thing that I can think of that is strange is that we have not heard anything from the original poster for a while....
WHY would anybody wanna spend the energy to create something like this as a hoax?

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-05-05 11:52 pm   Permalink

I believe that MikenRich has some Witco goods but I'm not so sure about the back story that Bali O Hai O is providing. Especially since it appears (to my moderator eyes) that MikenRich and Bali O Hai O share the same computer...

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-06 02:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-05 12:18, TIKI DAVID wrote:
tread very carefully people.

Like I said.
This is not the first 'Drive by' Witco teaser.
And I'll bet..not the last

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-06 04:18 am   Permalink

check this one....

http://apps.facebook.com/marketplace/view/-/1898011763/?cat=sale%2Ffurniture

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-06 05:03 am   Permalink

ben- good luck tryin to pull that out without damaging the bar! ..you might end up with $379 worth of firewood.

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2010-05-06 11:12 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-06 09:02 am   Permalink

Ha Ben, that's funny: An entombed Witco Bar! Talk about excavating artifacts!

Well, the computer fact is odd, but I don't want to appear unfriendly. Bali Ohio's posts sound genuine to me, and I am looking forward to further findings. I guess now it's time for Mike'n'Rich to chime in.

And has our Pablus seen this thread yet? Since his post in 2003 he must have found SOMETHING, and talked to his uncle some more?

TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-06 09:19 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TIKI DAVID 2010-05-11 13:50 ]

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-06 10:05 am   Permalink

Kids, please don't turn this into something personal now, I agree Tipsy's sarcasm was uncalled for, but let's concentrate on the subject at hand --which to me is not decided upon yet, and bears much to look forward to. Let's wait to hear from Bali Ohio and M'n'R. I am a trusting person, and happy to be so.

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-06 10:19 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: tipsy mcstagger 2010-05-06 11:12 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MikenRich
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-06 10:49 am   Permalink

The bar is very real and in my basement. My email is RKMartin@sssnet.com you can email me if you have any questions. I think I will keep it now that you have all shed some light on it. Before I talked with everyone on here I had no idea what it was or the rarity, Hell, I almost sold it to my boss to put outside by his pool.

Selling it is not out of the question, but I am kind of enjoying this. I don't want to cause any trouble here, just learning abut Tiki Culture is cool.

Thanks again to everyone's positive input.

RICH

View Profile of MikenRich Send a personal message to MikenRich      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation