FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Lemon Hart 151
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
Lemon Hart 151
Vic Arpeggio

Posted: 2010-07-11 3:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-06-04 17:14, toofastjim wrote:
here's the response I got from demerara Distillers. Definitely worth everyone sending an email...or at least it can't hurt.

Thank you for your email expressing your regret that Lemon Hart rums will no longer be available in the US and we will pass on your sentiments to the distillery who will no doubt forward this to the brand owner Mosaic in Canada. Do note that although our demerara rums were indeed involved with Lemon Hart we were never part of the importation, distributing and marketing activities in the US.

What email address did you use? The only one I found online was a defunct AOL address.

Thanks!

View Profile of Vic Arpeggio Send a personal message to Vic Arpeggio  Email Vic Arpeggio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rangda
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-11 4:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-11 15:01, Vic Arpeggio wrote:
What email address did you use? The only one I found online was a defunct AOL address.

When I wrote, I wrote to
demdus@bellsouth.net.

If we were to ever see this rum available again my guess is that it would be as an El Dorado branded product.

View Profile of rangda Send a personal message to rangda      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-12 08:14 am   Permalink

For what its worth, I saw all the Lemon Hart you'd ever want on the shelves and in bars across Alaska... the desperate among you may want to call Brown Jug (a likker store chain up there) and pay what will doubtlessly be ridiculous shipping charges.

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars 2010-07-12 08:14 ]

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
toofastjim
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-12 11:14 am   Permalink

[
Quote:

Thanks!

I used the one posted earlier in the thread by Rangda

For those in the US:

demdus@bellsouth.net

good luck. For me, it doesn't have to say Lemon Hart - just have it be the same 151 proof dark/amber nectar that is currently in the LH bottles - I'd be totally happy with an El Dorado branded rum with the same flavor, just not the clear kerosene they market as "high strength" demerara rum, although that is good for flaming drinks.

tfj

[ This Message was edited by: toofastjim 2010-07-12 11:25 ]

View Profile of toofastjim Send a personal message to toofastjim  Goto the website of toofastjim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TORKERTIKI
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-25 09:58 am   Permalink

PLEASE post up if you have any info on this topic, stock located or production information etc. I can't find ANY MORE Lemon Hart! Need to figure out how well to conserve my very small supply!
Cheers, Joseph.

[ This Message was edited by: TORKERTIKI 2010-07-25 10:02 ]

View Profile of TORKERTIKI Send a personal message to TORKERTIKI      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-28 06:17 am   Permalink

I posted a question on the El Dorado Facebook fan page asking if they planned to produce a dark 151 and this was the reply:

Quote:

yes, we are thinking about it as we actually used to produce most of the other well known dark 151s that have recently been discontinued. Or we could do more of an aged golden one to avoid using too much colouring...
It might take a wee while to release, but the demand has been noted!
In the meantime, try a combination of our 5yo, 8yo or 12yo (as these have a lot of complexity and character) and any overproof rum (to give you the strength) in your exotic cocktails.
It's not ideal, but it will get you halfway there!
Thanks v much

So they are listening.

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TORKERTIKI
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-28 11:45 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the great info Rev, Keep us posted! Cheers, Joseph.

View Profile of TORKERTIKI Send a personal message to TORKERTIKI      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kupcake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-02 7:15 pm   Permalink

This thread got me a bit worried. I bought 7 bottles in the past few days.

View Profile of Tiki Kupcake Send a personal message to Tiki Kupcake  Goto the website of Tiki Kupcake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Magnus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-05 03:04 am   Permalink

It's getting difficult to find in Europe too, at least the 151... managed to get a bottle from German eBay, received it yesterday.

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Magnus 2010-08-05 03:04 ]

View Profile of Trader Magnus Send a personal message to Trader Magnus  Goto the website of Trader Magnus ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
softspirit

Posted: 2010-08-13 4:50 pm   Permalink

Mosaiq seems to be keeping the Lemon Hart Brand. However it seems to be doing away with the "overproof" entirely. I suspect it is a Canada legal thing.
I would suspect they will continue to manufacture the Lemon Hart Brand.

As far as Demerara, it is a designation of the sugars from Guyana. Other brands can (and do) use the Demerara designation(El Dorado is one). Can they continue to use it and distill it in Canada? I do not know. But i am suspect as far as what quality to expect.

If you are not purist, excellent "uncivilized" brands are still plentiful. And Gosling 151.. 2 blurry thumbs up.

View Profile of softspirit Send a personal message to softspirit      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-14 2:11 pm   Permalink

Just bought 2 bottles of 151 from the store I used to work at. Friend of mine said that may be more at the distributor, but since the two they had at the store have been on the shelf for nearly a year, he wasn't sure if he could order more. If your in the Michigan area, buy them while you can.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-16 4:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-13 16:50, softspirit wrote:
Mosaiq seems to be keeping the Lemon Hart Brand. However it seems to be doing away with the "overproof" entirely. I suspect it is a Canada legal thing.
I would suspect they will continue to manufacture the Lemon Hart Brand.

As far as Demerara, it is a designation of the sugars from Guyana. Other brands can (and do) use the Demerara designation(El Dorado is one). Can they continue to use it and distill it in Canada? I do not know. But i am suspect as far as what quality to expect.

If you are not purist, excellent "uncivilized" brands are still plentiful. And Gosling 151.. 2 blurry thumbs up.

Another two thumbs up here for Gosling 151 Softspirit. While it's not a perfect replacement for a Demerara 151 (Gosling lacks the smokey flavour of demerara rum), it's very flavourful and fits the bill in Tiki mixology better than Cruzan or Bacardi's 151, IMHO.

I could be mistaken, but doesn't the rum actually have to be produced in Guyuna to be called 'Demerara', similar to an Appellation of Origin designation? My understanding is that the rum can be aged & bottled anywhere, but the base rum has to be distilled in Guyana and made from the right types of sugar. again, I could be wrong here.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-16 6:27 pm   Permalink

There's some useful information here regarding Demerara Rum:

http://www.ministryofrum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1967

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
softspirit

Posted: 2010-08-17 6:12 pm   Permalink

From the desciptions I have read on Demerara sugar, it sounds much like what is sold as "Sugar in the raw" in the USA.
The truth is in the tasting.

It will be interesting to see what Lemon Hart can provide in the future.. But as corporations change the rumscape,
it is up to the customers to vote with their elbows.

Bacardi 151 makes a pretty good solvent. Gosling 151 makes an excellent tiki 151.
Flora de Cana makes a very nice dark rum, 10 cane a suprisingly delicious golden/light rum.
Clear rum.. I can work around without.. but would certainly listen to suggestions.
I would use Bacardi because I do not know any better.

View Profile of softspirit Send a personal message to softspirit      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-20 2:36 pm   Permalink

I just had someone pick up a bottle of the 151 for me in Alaska. Apparently, they still have some up there! As for the future of Lemon Hart, my suspicion is that they will continue to have rum shipped in bulk from Demerara Distillers and blend it with "Canadian rum" before bottling it in Canada. If this product is then exported into the US (with or without Demerara designation) I say don't bother with it. Another Canadian on this thread said it doesn't affect the flavour but having tried Lemon Hart both here and in the US I can definitely say it does. As for the 151, I reeeeeaaallly hope El Dorado comes up with their own version (dark, not white) and it becomes available here because I'm already worried about what's going to happen when this bottle runs out...

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation