FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Lemon Hart 151
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
Lemon Hart 151
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-19 9:37 pm   Permalink

rum will last in perfect condition up until this world ends on December 21, 2012.

after that, it gets reincarnated in a different chilicosm as either fine single malt scotch or as Olde English malt liquor, depending on its karma. you can decide for yourself what kind of karma leads to what kind of reincarnation...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-19 11:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-19 13:22, arriano wrote:
Sigh. Why was this so difficult to get right?

boy you just ain't whistling Dixie there.

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-20 11:47 am   Permalink

I was afraid of this. Just don't blame Canada!

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I. M. Transpose

Posted: 2011-07-21 8:39 pm   Permalink

If anyone in the Boston area is still looking for a source for the new stuff, I just got a bottle from Select Liquors in Allston. They don't carry it as part of their regular stock, but you can order through their website and pick it up at the store.

View Profile of I. M. Transpose Send a personal message to I. M. Transpose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rangda
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-07-21 9:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-21 20:39, I. M. Transpose wrote:
If anyone in the Boston area is still looking for a source for the new stuff, I just got a bottle from Select Liquors in Allston. They don't carry it as part of their regular stock, but you can order through their website and pick it up at the store.

Good to know thanks. I'll have to pick up a bottle to compare to my stash of the old.

View Profile of rangda Send a personal message to rangda      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I. M. Transpose

Posted: 2011-07-22 7:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-21 21:54, rangda wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-07-21 20:39, I. M. Transpose wrote:

Good to know thanks. I'll have to pick up a bottle to compare to my stash of the old.

If you figure out a way to tweak the new LH151 to get closer to the flavor of the original, I'd be very interested to know how it's done - the new stuff makes a fine drink, but I'd love to know how these drinks tasted originally.

View Profile of I. M. Transpose Send a personal message to I. M. Transpose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-23 03:22 am   Permalink

I haven't tasted the new stuff myself yet. I was really hoping it would just be a label change. I guess I'll use the 3 1/2 bottles of the original for myself or only those who will actually appreciate it. I had a group over recently and I barely prevented someone from mixing some with Coke! All bottles are now hidden at a non-disclosed location.

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-22 6:25 pm   Permalink

Bringing the subject up again. It appears to unanimous that the new label does not have the same taste as the original. In an email from the Bum yesterday, he said it was sweeter, with less smoke and char. But, he did say it is still the best choice to make Donn's drinks. I have not had the opportunity to try it yet, but I hope to soon. Anyway, I wonder if adding a little Lemon Hart 80 proof or another Demerara rum might bring some of the flavor back. Has anyone tried it? I know it will lower the alcohol punch a little, but maybe bring back some of the flavor.

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-22 8:40 pm   Permalink

how many prominent drinks actually call for LH 151 anyhow?

I've got the Zombie, the 151 swizzle, the Jet Pilot, the Cobra's Fang, and the Puka Punch.

that's five.

are there more?

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rangda
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-22 8:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:
It appears to unanimous that the new label does not have the same taste as the original.

Based on comparing a new bottle to my ~2 year old NOS it's a little bit different but not much. The "not quite as smoky" is the biggest difference in flavor. I doubt you'll be able to tell them apart in a tiki drink where you're adding 6-8 other ingredients to the glass.

And since you cannot get the old stuff it's somewhat moot anyway. IMO you're much better off with the new LH151 than you would be cutting it with an 80 proof rum, it will lose the burn then.

View Profile of rangda Send a personal message to rangda      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I-Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-23 5:43 pm   Permalink

Maybe they'll get it right before I run out of my secret stash of 7 bottles of the original.

L.

View Profile of I-Tiki Send a personal message to I-Tiki  Email I-Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-25 12:29 pm   Permalink

I'd like to know how the flavor profile of original LH 80 compares to original LH 151, and to the new 151. Not talking about "the burn" of the alcohol, but the flavor notes. The LH80 does taste smokey, to me.
I've only been able to get 80, here. When a drink includes, say, 1 oz. LH151 and 1 oz. gold Puerto Rican or Cruzan, I use LH80 and Cruzan 151. My theory is that this will be closest to the proper flavor, while preserving total alcohol content (if that's even important).
I still have a case of the original 80, and would like to 'nurse it along', if it actually tastes closer to the original 151, than the new label stuff does.
Anyone know?

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-26 1:57 pm   Permalink

Please forgive if this is a dumb question...

I bought a bottle of LH 151 recently, with the old label. Does that mean it's the old stuff? Does all the new formula have the new label?

Thanks.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-29 10:49 am   Permalink

I believe it is..where did you buy it?

Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-29 4:11 pm   Permalink

Ed Hamilton and Martin "Martiki" Cate do a side-by-side taste test of the new and old bottle Lemon Hart 151.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2011-08-30 15:02 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation