FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Lemon Hart 151
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
Lemon Hart 151
TeeKeeMan
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-22 4:15 pm   Permalink

I've never been able to get Lemon Hart at all in Fresno (had to mail order). Perhaps if the distribution gets shaken up, some will show up locally and save me some shipping costs...

View Profile of TeeKeeMan Send a personal message to TeeKeeMan  Email TeeKeeMan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-22 4:22 pm   Permalink

Just got the last bottle of 151 in Kalamazoo.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rangda
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-24 09:03 am   Permalink

I (and others) have written directly to Demerara Distillers, which has confirmed the demise of LH. Those of us who have written have requested that they consider releasing the LH 151 rum under the El Dorado branding. I would encourage anyone interested in seeing it become available again to write a polite request:

For those in the US:

demdus@bellsouth.net

If you're not in the US, here's the contact info:

http://www.demrum.com/contact/ddl.cfm

A sales rep was kind enough to reply to my email, and indicated that there had been some industry pressure to continue making the product available. But obviously, the more voices there are, the more likely we are to be heard.

For those interested in following the discussion at Ministry of Rum:

http://www.ministryofrum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4157

View Profile of rangda Send a personal message to rangda      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-24 11:56 am   Permalink

I emailed and got this reponse:

Quote:
Thank you for your correspondence on the Lemon Hart 151 and we note your suggestion regarding continuing it's production which will be forwarded for consideration to the distillery in Guyana. You may be interested to learn that we have received other similar sentiments from consumers and bar owners which have all been passed on and you may even want to try our El Dorado High Strength Rum (151) which however is white.

Thanks again for your comprehensive email and please be assured that in the event this product becomes available again we will certainly keep you advised.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-24 3:05 pm   Permalink

Must be nice to get a response. I emailed them about a week and a half ago asking what the plans were for LH in the U.S. and got a whole lotta nuthin'.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rangda
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-24 4:20 pm   Permalink

My response said essentially the same thing Swanky's did, but interestingly the wording is slightly different. Which implies some poor soul is hand typing this response each time. Flood him with requests and make his fingers sore.

View Profile of rangda Send a personal message to rangda      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-24 5:42 pm   Permalink

I got the last bottle off the shelf at Argonaut today.
I think I'll go hunt for a couple more tomorrow.

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-24 6:38 pm   Permalink

I saw quite a bit of the regular unleaded version in a liquor store the other day up here in Canada, but I've NEVER seen the 151 version up here. Perhaps that will change soon.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-25 06:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-24 18:38, Slacks Ferret wrote:
I saw quite a bit of the regular unleaded version in a liquor store the other day up here in Canada, but I've NEVER seen the 151 version up here. Perhaps that will change soon.

THAT would be great! As far as I know, it's not available anywhere in Canada. I still see LH on the shelves here, with no indication that availability is going to be a problem. I have to say, it seems wrong to let this company trademark "Demerara rum". We have lots of rums here still using that label, although El Dorado only hit the shelves within the last year around these parts.

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-05-26 07:47 am   Permalink

Thought I'd chime in with my experiences with Lemon Hart rum.

I've often seen references to Lemon Hart rum in the past, but had never seen or tried it until a friend of mine went out to BC awhile ago. I did some surfing and found that they carry Lemon Hart at some of the liquor stores in BC, so I had her bring me back a bottle. She brought me back a litre. It was love at first sip.

Before going any further, I have to say that I've NEVER seen or heard of Lemon Hart 151 in Canada. The stuff I've had was 80 proof.

Now, there are a couple of interesting facts about Lemon Hart in Canada. First, if you look at the back label, you'll notice it says (in fine print) something like "a delicious blend of Guyanese and Canadian rum". What this means is that it is bottled in Canada, not imported into Canada. El Dorado is bottled in Guyana and imported into Canada. Lemon Hart is shipped in bulk and blended (under Canadian law) with "10% Canadian spirits". What exactly that is, I couldn't tell you. Canadian rum? Grain alcohol? If anyone knows, please enlighten me. Whatever it is, it doesn't affect the flavor at all, let me tell you.

The second thing that is interesting is that, up until Mosaiq purchased the brand, Corby's blended Lemon Hart right here in Ontario. In Windsor. And yet, the LCBO (the Ontario liquor nazis, as I like to think of them) don't carry the brand. Instead, Corby's ships it to other provinces in Canada. Is this fair? Hell no! But at least we do have the El Dorado brand on the shelves, so that's some consolation.

And now a short anecdote: after having tried Lemon Hart and enjoying it immensely, I contacted Corby's and found out that their Canadian head office is right here in Toronto. Fantastic. I told the rep there that I wanted to purchase a case of Lemon Hart and he was very helpful in coordinating the purchase through the LCBO. I paid a deposit with my credit card and was told that the shipment would arrive in about two weeks. About two weeks later, I received notification from the LCBO that my shipment was in, and to contact them. I did so, paid the balance with my credit card and arranged for shipment to my nearest LCBO outlet. The next day, I received another call from the LCBO that they could not find my shipment, and would have to refund the cost to my credit card. I was livid. I contacted the Corby's rep and asked if he could help. He knew the manager at the LCBO main warehouse and told me he would contact him. Later that day, he called back and said that not only had the LCBO lost my shipment, but had lost two others from Corby's as well. But, as consolation, the Corby's rep sent me a free bottle of Lemon Hart. He did say that the brand had just been sold to a Quebec company, Mosaiq, and wished me well trying to deal with them.

I have since sent emails to Mosaiq, including the four main 'partners', requesting assistance trying to order a case of Lemon Hart. I have yet to get a response.

Sorry for being long-winded. I hope this sheds some light on the subject.

View Profile of Kahuna Tiki Send a personal message to Kahuna Tiki  Email Kahuna Tiki Goto the website of Kahuna Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-26 08:33 am   Permalink

While it's not listed on their website, DrinkUpNY also can get Lemon Hart for a reasonable price.

Both the 80 & the 151.

Because they do not normally carry it in their inventory, prices are higher (not sure how high) for not ordering a full case.
& they ship anywhere in the lower 48.

A group of us just ordered a case of each to split-up amongst us & all went perfectly with the order - arrived yesterday

AND - the website also includes 90 different rums, so you may find some other things of interest, too!
www.DrinkUpNY.com

But you've got to call them on the Lemon Hart if you're interested, since it's not normally something they stock (but maybe we can get them to stock it!) it's not on the website.

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-26 9:31 pm   Permalink

I just got back from Beltramo's in Menlo Park, Ca (they have a web site and do mail order) and they have Lemon Hart 151 in stock. They got one case when I clued them in to the rumors 3 weeks ago, and in the following weeks picked up 5 cases. Two are already gone. That kind of concern for their customers is why they get all of my business. All three colors of Senior Curacao, a fantastic rum selection that is numerous and well considered, fresh limes, and a huge aisle of mixers and syrups make me feel blessed to have them one town over. And this is at a place that is primarily a wine shop. Folks on the peninsula, you better pay them a visit. They are hoarding the 151 for your benefit.

View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-29 09:08 am   Permalink

I was just thinking: What are all the tiki bars and restaurants planning to do that use Lemon Hart 151 on a regular basis - seems to me that Trader Vic's, Tiki Ti, Mai Kai, Don the Beachcomber, etc etc would have better knowledge of the situation.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-29 10:45 pm   Permalink

Ed Hamilton who runs the Ministry of Rum website, and is one of the most informed rum professionals in the industry today has more about the issues regarding Lemon Hart in this thread:

http://www.ministryofrum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4157

I've already given up on LH 151 and I'm substituting Gosling's 151 as it's far and away the most flavourful 151 on the market aside from LH.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-01 06:51 am   Permalink

As mentioned in page 2 of the Ministry of Rum thread, there is plenty of LH 151 on the shelves around Oregon. The 80 proof is harder to find, but I did score a few bottles over the weekend, and more were on the shelf. PM me if you want to know where that store is.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation