FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Sacramento Capital Tiki Bar/Living Space Tour October 7th, 8th & 9th, 2011-Registration Full
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )
Sacramento Capital Tiki Bar/Living Space Tour October 7th, 8th & 9th, 2011-Registration Full
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-16 09:57 am   Permalink

Hey Eric-

Even though I have not been to the Sac crawl generally at each stop the host prepares drinks/snacks, gives tours of their tiki stuff and in some cases also have garage sales to sell off some of their extra tiki stuff.

I dont think you are required to bring anything except yourself

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-16 11:18 am   Permalink

Thank you;
Jungle Trader - we love your Minnies Mug, thank you for liking this one
thequin - when I read a comment like that it give me energy to keep going
VampiressRN, Corona Contessa, Brenda's Tiki Hut, and WSWahine, it's great to have the support of my girlfriends, thank you ladies

I know a fellow named Tom Tolley who runs the Sacramento Room of the Sacramento City Libary on I Street. He was a bartender at the Zombie Hut for years and he was able to confirm that they never had a mug or any other tiki items. Dan's and my family went there often. At age 10 my grandpa took the family there for Thanksgiving. Dan and I went on dates where we danced with friends after the hula show. All of this before we discovered tikis. We have wonderful memories of being there together.

When Duane approached me to do a mug with these two Sacramento landmarks on it I was immediately ready to do my best to get it done. He sent the two pictures that were perfect for the mug.

Yesterday I baked it and now I'm fixing the cracks that always show up when you use Super Sculpey.It seems to me that "Tiki People" are artists and almost everyone has an idea for a mug they would like to see made. So I am going to use this thread to show you the steps I use to get this done. I hope this will inspire more of you to pick up some clay and to get started.

Sculpey is a low temperature clay, 278 degrees. I use a convection oven out in the garage because the fumes are toxic.I do this upside down so the thinnest part is far from the elements. Aluminum foil can protect it also.

Cracks are easy to repair.

Use a knife to enlarge the crack.

Add into the cracks Elmer's Wood Filler. Let it dry for a day. It may shrink and need more applications. Once over filled and dry it's easy to carve and sand.

After each application of the filler spritz with water and swipe with a finger so smooth it out some. It make is easier to see if you are getting it filled up enough.

This is as far as I am going to go today. It needs to dry overnight.
Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ebtiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-05-16 4:33 pm   Permalink

Amazing mug - I wish I lived out west to catch this one!
Eric

View Profile of ebtiki Send a personal message to ebtiki  Email ebtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KeithH
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-16 11:20 pm   Permalink

Hmmm... I'll be passing through Sacramento on my way from Portland to Vegas for another event. I may have to extend my gas stop a bit and join the fun.

View Profile of KeithH Send a personal message to KeithH      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-17 2:08 pm   Permalink

Wow that mug looks awesome and the crawl sounds like a blast, I can't wait to get out there and join the fun (my flight gets in at 1:00pm a week from today). Let me know if you need hosts, if all goes well I should at least have a new home bar up and running by then. If not I am definetly crawling!

p.s. Anybody heading south for Mariepolooza over Memorial Day weekend?

[ This Message was edited by: rugbymatt 2010-05-17 14:15 ]

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
moondog426
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-21 05:18 am   Permalink

That mug is off the hook......Great Job Wendy...I am going to need one of those!!!!
Way to go Duane putting this together. You have been busy!

View Profile of moondog426 Send a personal message to moondog426  Email moondog426     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LiddleLola
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-21 4:01 pm   Permalink

Wow Wendy, that is the coolest mug ever, even for those who aren't from Sacramento!

Hey count me in as a host. I WILL have my tiki room done by October. (Carpet getting installed on Wednesday, woohoo!)

This will be a total blast.

Thanks Duane. You rock!

Darilyn

View Profile of LiddleLola Send a personal message to LiddleLola      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-21 5:10 pm   Permalink

A new Hawaiian shop just opened in old town Elk Grove. It's called Mango Fix. Should they be given information about the crawl to see if they want to be open for our group?

The mug has had the cracked repaired and sanded. Areas that were too deep have also been filled. Next step is to see if it can be molded. I'll know in a couple of weeks. Thank you everyone for your enthusiasm over the mug of Duane's dreams. I'm so happy to have been asked to make it. Wendy

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2010-05-28 06:23 ]

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-23 2:44 pm   Permalink

Wendy...you are such a fabulous artisan...I LUV IT GIRLFRIEND!!!

If I have the mula...I may try to get some of my TC artwork framed to start filling in my empty walls. I only know of Aaron Brother's Art to get this done in Roseville. I have had very good luck at Aaron, so am happy to work with them. I thought I would only want bamboo frames, but I am going to think outside of the box and mix it up. Suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-23 2:50 pm   Permalink

Awesome. So there.

Suzanne

View Profile of suzanne Send a personal message to suzanne  Goto the website of suzanne     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-23 2:52 pm   Permalink

WoooHooo! SoccerTiki and I are way overdo for a trip to Sacramento Sounds like a fun weekend

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-28 06:25 am   Permalink

Hi, I just corrected an error. The name of the new Hawaiian shop in Elk Grove is Mango Fix. Sorry. The mold maker is still on his honeymoon but I should know soon if the mug is going to work. Wendy

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-05-30 1:17 pm   Permalink

Just so hard to fathom that a honeymoon would trump a Tiki mug...what is this world coming to!!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-04 5:58 pm   Permalink

The next step ... buy a 100 pound sack of casting plaster in West Sacramento. I printed a map from Google and we got into the car. I looked though my stack of papers and discovered I had left the map behind. I thought I could remember how to get there but after one wrong turn and a nice side trip we called for directions. The place is well organized and efficient and casting plaster is only eighteen cents a pound!

The gentleman in the photo is going to look on-line tonight to see his picture. Let's get him addicted to tikis like the rest of us! Wendy

Savage Tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-06-04 7:49 pm   Permalink

Wendy,

I just want to thank you for this on-line how-to for creating your own mug. I'm very glad that you're giving this work shop for us DIYers out here in TC cyber-space.

I've got a friend that makes shrunken heads from the gray oven bake clay. He started with the pink and now uses the gray.

It takes a lot of talent to do what you do and at .18 per pound I think that even I can afford to give it a try. I realize that's only one of the many processes in mug creation but I thought that it sounded good.

Thanks again and keep up with this very informative work shop.

[ This Message was edited by: Savage Tiki 2010-06-04 19:49 ]

View Profile of Savage Tiki Send a personal message to Savage Tiki  Email Savage Tiki Goto the website of Savage Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation