FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Sacramento Capital Tiki Bar/Living Space Tour October 7th, 8th & 9th, 2011-Registration Full
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )
Sacramento Capital Tiki Bar/Living Space Tour October 7th, 8th & 9th, 2011-Registration Full
stevesoto
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-11 12:27 pm   Permalink

Duane,

Maybe we might want to adjust the schedule on Sunday to:

10-12 Wendy and Dan, Elk Grove
12:30 - 2:30 Darilyn's Elk Grove
3:00 - 5:00 Steve's South Sac
5:30 - ? Brenda's East Sac

I think that makes more sense geographically speaking...

S.

View Profile of stevesoto Send a personal message to stevesoto      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-11 2:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-11 12:27, stevesoto wrote:
Duane,

Maybe we might want to adjust the schedule on Sunday to:

10-12 Wendy and Dan, Elk Grove
12:30 - 2:30 Darilyn's Elk Grove
3:00 - 5:00 Steve's South Sac
5:30 - ? Brenda's East Sac

I think that makes more sense geographically speaking...

S.

By all means, if Dan and Wendy are up to starting a little earlier??

D

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-11 5:52 pm   Permalink

Hi Guys, that early start is fine for us. This is looking good! Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LiddleLola
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-13 12:16 pm   Permalink

I should say that it only takes 5 minutes to get to my house from Dan and Wendy's so you can move them to a little later and there will still be plenty of time at both places.

I'm going to put a shout out for a "co-host". It would be really nice to have a hand in the morning to get things ready. Mahalo to Brenda and her entourage for bailing me out last year. I don't want to get in that situation again.

My guest room is available if anyone wants to stay over. PM me if you're interested.

Darilyn

View Profile of LiddleLola Send a personal message to LiddleLola      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brenda's Tiki Hut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-14 3:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-13 12:16, LiddleLola wrote:
Mahalo to Brenda and her entourage for bailing me out last year. I don't want to get in that situation again.

Ooh, I have an entourage! And it was all men!

View Profile of Brenda's Tiki Hut Send a personal message to Brenda's Tiki Hut  Email Brenda's Tiki Hut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-25 10:08 am   Permalink

Hi Duane, so 10:30 am start time at our home for the crawl on Sunday?

I've started painting the last three Zombie Hut/ Coral Reef mugs.

#48 for me
#49 for a collector friend from out of state.
#50 to put on eBay soon for fun and profit!

After those I have a few that I will glaze with real gold and red enamel cold paint.

I have a new newspaper article that came out today. The link is on Gallery and my other crafts pages. It has errors but what the heck it's still a lot of fun. Wendy

Working on the painting.

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2011-03-26 09:26 ]

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-28 4:53 pm   Permalink

Hi Friends of Tiki and The Sacramento Ohana on Facebook.
I am slowly working towards opening the mold. I fine tuned the edges yesterday after we finished making three Tiki Bob molds. It's one step at a time. I practiced on the Bobs to see how it would work to make molds from molds. It did work so soon we will try it on this decanter so I will have more than one mold. Cheers, Wendy

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-02 8:52 pm   Permalink

Hi Sacramento Ohana and all of our friends and future friends.

Here is an update on how the Sacramento Crawl Tiki Bob Decanter is coming along.
I have posted photos showing how I used a glass vase as a base for my clay when making the next Sacramento Crawl ceramic for 2011. I didn't have enough sculptures clay so I stretched it out by covering the vase. Huge mistake because I wanted to make multiple molds. If I was only making one mold no problem. More than one - horrors. Here's what happened.

We were so happy to have made our first 6 piece mold. However we had not opened it because we were waiting for the day we could take off one piece and mold it three times before moving on to the next side.

The clay would not hold to the glass. I'd take off the plaster section and the clay would break loose and part would stay stuck on the plaster.

I would have to pry it loose and then put it together like a jigsaw puzzle. Then I had to smooth out the cracks and resculpt the design. To get the three molds. I had to do this entire process three times per side.

Of course our bucket cracked when we were mixing the plaster. Dan ran it outside leaving this trail behind.

We just kept working. There was never a side that held.

We had been at it from 7 am until 5:30 pm. Dan was able to get all the plaster trail off the garage floor, got to love that guy.

By the end of the day we had four mold pieces for each of the four largest most complicated parts. What's left are the two smallest sides. 6 repair jobs and then we will have our four molds. Fingers crossed that they all work. Of course all of this happened on April Fools Day.

Monday we plan to do the last two sides then these will dry for a week or two depending on the temperature and humidity. I am looking forward to seeing if we did a good job or if they leak like crazy. Time will tell. Cheers, Wendy

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-04 3:30 pm   Permalink

Hi Friends, Yesterday we finished the last pieces of the mold for the decanter. We had bumps along the way but we made it through and now I have four molds done. In two weeks when they are dry I'll pour and see if they leak or do well. Here's our work day.

Unfortunately to remove that small piece all four sides had to be removed. Then all the sections of clay that came loose had to be put back in place to hold the top that needed to be molded.

We poured the first one and it stuck and pulled the clay right out of the vase.

I got it all put back together to pour the next one but I had to redo the sculpture first.

Then on to the next one but it all pulled apart and the plaster stuck to one side. I didn't forget the mold soap but it stuck anyway. On this part I chiseled off the stuck plaster.

I used three layers of mold soap wiping it off between after that and didn't run into any problems. We did make four of this side just in case the damaged one wouldn't work.

Our work area in the garage.

When we finished that last side we carried every piece out to the kiln shed where it will be left to dry. I'll be bisque firing some Tiki Bobs soon and that will heat the shed to 80 degrees.

In a couple of weeks I should be able to pour each one and see if they work or not.

On the top shelf are wooden tikis started by my good friend Benzart. One day I will work on finishing them but right now they guard my shed.

Thank you for checking out our progress, Wendy

Brenda's Tiki Hut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-05 11:03 am   Permalink

Wendy, That sure is one working retirement you and Dan have concocted. Mahalo for all your fine, hard work.

View Profile of Brenda's Tiki Hut Send a personal message to Brenda's Tiki Hut  Email Brenda's Tiki Hut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-14 08:37 am   Permalink

Wendy,

That is crazy...I cannot believe how hard you and Dan are working??

Less than 6 months left until the crawl...it will go by faster than we realize.

I spoke with Lauren at Swanberg's yesterday and he has agreed to host the 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. timeslot on Saturday, which means I just need to firm up times for Barbara along with Matt and Melody? We could probably use one more host for Saturday, so any of you willing to do so, please let me know.

Lauren also mentioned he is friends with the owner of "The Shack" and suggested we maybe think about this place for food on Friday night. The advantage of this is it is within (very close) walking distance to our Friday night stop Rugbymatt's house. They do not serve hard drinks, but Lauren thinks we could serve a "punch" along with the food for dinner. Any thoughts on this?

See you all soon,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-15 9:16 pm   Permalink

Hi Duane, its work, very hard and sometimes I worry that the neighbors can hear me swearing. But if it works we do a lot of hand clapping too. Tonight I'm firing a load so the kiln shed will get up to 80 degrees. I'm hoping the decanter molds will dry out. They were still damp this morning. They are so heavy and thick. It will take both Dan and I to lift just one when we start pouring them. I just hope they work. As soon as we start I'll post more photos.

Looking forward to Forbidden Island and all my friends that can make it on a Thursday night. Cheers, Wendy

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2011-04-15 21:17 ]

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-18 07:50 am   Permalink

Yesterday we put mold number 1 together and poured in the slip. It had one tiny leak that I plugged with clay. This afternoon I'll see if I can open the mold.

It was a puzzle that I had to figure out.

Step by step to put it together.

Six pieces all together,

I had lots of clay ready for leaks and only needed one small piece.

Dan poured in the slip.

We let this one sit for one hour before pouring out the slip. Upside down it will sit until opened.

The Sacramento Crawl is less than 6 months away. The sign up list for this decanter is on page 27. Thanks everyone, Wendy

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-19 3:58 pm   Permalink

Did the mold for the decanter work? YES it's the best yet. Every part came out very nice. Here's what's up at my home. Cheers, Wendy

I made six of the Zombie mugs in a different fashion for eBay. Lots of hand work now the the one mold is almost history.

Did I sell them on eBay? NO as soon as they were done Dan bought them from me.

I do have the last one 50/50 to sell one day on eBay if I ever get to it.

Ok so here is mold number one opened up.
This mold weighs around 60 pounds. It takes us both to empty it out.

So yesterday I started putting the other three molds together to find that the pieces didn't all fit together well. So I carved the plaster until I'd gotten the best fit I could. Today we bought straps and poured in the slip. Now we are so busy that we will not open them until Saturday. I was very happy that there were only a few small leaks so I'm hoping for the best. Cheers, Wendy

It's a good thing we built the table to be very strong.

I really do help I just like to take the photos.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-21 08:26 am   Permalink

Well first we did the glug glug with the Tiki Crates and this time we did it with four decanters. This time we know how to fix it. I need to carve the openings into the molds as large as possible. We lost four and half a days work but in the end we will get it right. FI tonight! Wendy

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation