FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Sacramento Capital Tiki Bar/Living Space Tour October 7th, 8th & 9th, 2011-Registration Full
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )
Sacramento Capital Tiki Bar/Living Space Tour October 7th, 8th & 9th, 2011-Registration Full
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-13 08:26 am   Permalink

We are less than three months away from our annual event.

As I write this, we are in the final stages of planning and once we hammer out a few details, I will be starting a new thread specifically to address the schedule and activities planned so please stay tuned!

Thanks,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-14 7:40 pm   Permalink

Whats this nonsense I keep hearing whispers of regarding charging people to attend the crawl????

It seems that :

1. if you can't afford to host due to the cost--then pass on hosting--there are plenty of homes in Sacramento area that will jump at the chance to be part of the event

2. No one is getting on a bus...we are driving to Sac ourselves, finding places to stay, paying for our own food (regardless of snacks offered at the different stops) so that seems like a lot of money for guests to attend to start with.

3. Wendy is making the decanter--which she will sell which makes sense...if someone wants to create custom glassware and sell THOSE then hey why not..but there should be no pressure to "buy this glass to drink". I saw pics where people were drinking out of plastic cups, the crawl mugs and in many cases the dozens of duplicate mugs hosts had.

The crawl is supposed to be "if you want to join then join, if you want to host then host"...not "you pay this to do this"

Sorry but that is taking the fun out of the event and is completely defeating the point of these type of events.

I know Duane puts alot of his time into this event--and has done so over the years--because we (liz and I) were down there not too long ago talking about the tiki events this year....so let it stay being run the way it has in the past.

Seems like last year was a blast. This isnt a fundraiser, this isnt a money maker...these are people willing to open their homes to perfect strangers for the fun of it -- not to get paid to do so.

Enough of this silly talk.
Please don't ruin the event with "pay to play" nonsense.

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-15 11:34 am   Permalink

The size and scope of the event has grown and it is no longer "just the local ohana" so some adjustments may need to be made but nothing is in stone yet.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tacky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-15 2:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2011-07-14 19:40, SandraDee wrote:[

I know Duane puts alot of his time into this event--and has done so over the years--because we (liz and I) were down there not too long ago talking about the tiki events this year....so let it stay being run the way it has in the past.

Seems like last year was a blast. This isnt a fundraiser, this isnt a money maker...these are people willing to open their homes to perfect strangers for the fun of it -- not to get paid to do so

I don't think anyone is complaining about the way Duane figures out the crawl. From what I have heard in person, not some "whispers" is that people wanted a mug for the crawl. People here in Sacramento who are hosting. That seemed way out of line, dollarwise, so people came up with the idea of doing a run of Royer glasses for the occasion...which would not be free. Those things are expensive!! I don't think it was ever decided by anyone that attendees had to buy a Royer glass in order to attend. I think it was going to be available for people to buy as a drinking vessel for the crawl at the same time as being a cool thing to add to their own collection at home...but not a forced purchase. Just available to those who were interested.

Yes, someone mentioned getting buses...I don't do buses well and I sure don't like the idea of having a busload of people showing up at my house...I think that was thrown out as a possibility so everyone could drink safely...I really can't recall who brought that up, but they likened the idea to that of using a bus at the SF crawl, but that was a BAR crawl, not people's houses...

I don't think anyone is trying to make money on the crawl...just trying to cover the expense of the Royer glasses.

OK..I lied..I want to make money selling my tiki shirts and crap. I bet Duane and Liz do too. But that is at the marketplace and everyone expects that and you buy if you want.

As far as opening up your house to stangers..yeah, that freaks me out. I did it last year. It concerns me due to the increase in crimes and burglaries in the Sacramento area due to the economy and lack of a large police force. I'm not saying that I distrust the tiki people...it's the random folks who might show up if, say, a poster for the crawl was seen in Swanberg's window (which was mentioned and I strongly oppose..)

I'd like it to stay 'Ohana...Sacramento 'Ohana, our friends from the tiki community from other areas, our non-tiki friends or relatives who are visiting or are slightly interested in tiki but don't get it yet. I don't want 150 people I don't know going through my house! But my tiki peeps? Yeah!

If this grows to be some big event that we are advertising, I won't host. I'll stay in it as long as it's our 'Ohana and friends, like it has been. This is not the venue for a full on tiki event. If we get a tiki bar here some day then we can have an "event" with a hotel, real vendors, etc. and people can have all the home parties they want during that event, but I sure as hell don't want a bus load of alohawear clad strangers pulling up in front of my house!

But I think we do need to talk about what we, as an 'Ohana, are going to do or not do for the crawl. Get Royer glasses or not? Try to get 150 people here or not?

I'd like to see it stay cozy like the last 2 years...

Just my opinion. Go ahead and fire away..

Tacky

View Profile of Tacky Tiki Send a personal message to Tacky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-15 3:07 pm   Permalink

I've only recently seen the "tiki light" and am looking forward to participating in a Sacramento area tiki tour being from Lodi and meeting other Central Valley tikiphiles!

Aloha and okole maluna!

The Blue Kahuna

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tacky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-15 6:12 pm   Permalink

It will be fun...and no buses! Trust me, it will all work out!

Do you know any other tiki peeps? Will this be your first event?? You are only about 50 miles from us, so feel free to join us! Also, look for Sacramento Ohana on facebook..

Tacky (who doesn't ride on buses) Tiki

View Profile of Tacky Tiki Send a personal message to Tacky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-15 7:34 pm   Permalink

Hey Blue Kahuna in Lodi you are only 20 miles from us. We are in Elk Grove. If you are coming our way send us a PM. It would be nice to meet you.

We like the crawl to be people we know within our group or those we have gotten to know on-line. Friends and families welcome. We wouldn't host if a poster was put up at Swansburg and anyone could come and "case the joint". Keeping it though Tiki Central is so much safer for us all.

It's been perfect for years. Each home running their open house as they see fit. Example: we haven't ever provided alcohol and there haven't been any complaints. So if someone wants to sell at Duane's or their own home, sounds like fun to me.

We personally would like to see it stay the way if has been the last couple of years. Wendy and Dan

PS Duane why another thread we are about to pass the 50,000 mark

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2011-07-15 20:03 ]

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-15 8:14 pm   Permalink

I can now work clay and carve as tolerated. So first we found a mold for Christmas Ornaments on eBay. I am going to see if I can alter them into a flame for the stopper of the decanter. We poured the first one today. I sure hope it will work.

I have fine tuned and carved the volcanoes on 2 decanters. It feels so good to be able to work again even if its slow going. Be Happy Dear Friends. See you at Matt's on the 18th? Wendy

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2011-07-31 13:33 ]

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-15 8:59 pm   Permalink

Thanks! Got a pm invite to the August Sacramento tiki meet up and believe that I'll be able to make it, so looking forward to meeting everyone and introducing myself! I will be at Tiki Oasis, and am really looking forward to it in the extreme. Will actually be my first vacation in about four or five years!

Just as an aside, my first tiki experience was at the Islander in Stockton as a very young boy, I went with my Mom one afternoon to "save" my uncle from having to talk to somebody at the bar, all I remember was walking into the lobby and it was bright as blazes outside and pitch black when we hit the door, my eyes never adjusted enough to see anything, and then we were gone (uncle in tow!)! But I always remember the tiki torches outside the entrance and then the move to Pollardville (where I had several birthdays at the Ghost Town).

Sorry, just a little stroll down amnesia lane . . .

Aloha and okole maluna!

The Blue Kahuna

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tacky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-15 11:02 pm   Permalink

Ah,,,good to hear that you got the pm'd invite...I should have thought of that, but one of my cohorts did...it would be great to meet you before the crawl...

I'm hoping we keep it simple at the crawl...which means there will be a schedule of when each home is open and where...you show up, have the drink offered...whether it's coffee and O.J. at the start of the day or Painkillers later on...have some snacks and check out the tiki collection and/or tiki lanai. Get to know other tiki peeps. At some point there is usually a marketplace on Saturday...just tiki peeps selling stuff...mugs, shirts, Treasure Craft, LPs, etc. We have had a crazy tiki white elephant thing in the past...always fun.

It has always been 'Ohana and friends...nothing major. I hope it stays like that. I won't host if it gets to be a big event. My house and yard aren't huge, but I'd like people come over...

Looking forward to seeing you at the next Tiki Tuesday!

Tacky

LiddleLola
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-16 10:11 am   Permalink

I appreciate the perspective of those who will be attending. The "whispers" that have circulated are all just ideas that have yet to be hammered out among the hosts. There is no need to panic. The idea of the original registration fee was to cover the costs of some swag but also to get a commitment from the attendees. No one ever suggested this event be profitable.

As one of the hosts from last year I can say that it was tons of fun and I'm very excited to be doing it again this year. I love the idea of inspiring newbies to embrace the Tiki lifestyle by showcasing our Tiki rooms and collections. It's wonderful meeting people who post here and finally put a face to a board name. But I agree with Tacky Tiki that inviting total strangers into my home is a little intimidating, a lot of trust is required. I like the registration idea as people would have to provide some information before stepping foot into our homes. The fact is that we have gained some notoriety, with that comes exposure. That may mean that we have to take a little more care than in the past.

One of the unknown factors is what kind of response we will get. I have to assume that it will be bigger than last year. What if 50 people want to attend? The comment about "if you can't afford to host then don't host" is a little unfair. We don't all have large amounts of disposable income and with the economy the way it is... Providing food and drink for 50 people could end up being 2-3 hundred dollars per host. I would like to suggest that it be acceptable for the hosts to put out a donation jar. It can then be strictly voluntary for attendees to chip in a little to help defray costs. Some of us purchased glasses with our logos to sell at the event. A small profit on those will help with the costs of hosting. Not everyone has that option so each host should decide what is right for them but should not be judged if they provide the opportunity for attendees to show a little aloha spirit. Another option is for local Ohana to offer to co-host. This option would be helpful on all levels, shop, prep, cleanup and share of costs.
The reality is, the larger an event becomes the more complicated, expensive and risky it is to put on and keep the Ohana spirit as it was originally intended. Knowing all the hosts personally I am certain that every detail will be ironed out in the planning meetings to make this one of the best events ever.

Mahalo and Aloha,

Darilyn
Hostess of the Kohana Wahine Lounge and Swim-in Theater

View Profile of LiddleLola Send a personal message to LiddleLola      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-18 9:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-15 19:34, danlovestikis wrote:

PS Duane why another thread we are about to pass the 50,000 mark

Yes, DLT, I have never been a fan of recycle threads. The Title Specifies 2011 and the first thing you see if the schedule for 2010. You then have to go through 25 or whatever pages (which I didn't) to see if even the dates are listed. This event needs a new 2011 (only) thread. It just makes things easier for those who want to attend. My opinion.
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-19 07:36 am   Permalink

Hi mrsmiley, that can be fixed by adding to the title. 2011 crawl page 27. Cheers, Wendy

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-20 6:21 pm   Permalink

We passed the 50,000 views for our thread!!!

We had a wonderful meeting/party at Matt's who has his home beautifully tikified. There was a good turnout and the issues were resolved. We are on our way to another terrific tiki crawl in October.

After I broke my arm he's been more than just my right hand. So I've added his initial to the bottom of each decanter.

Here he is blowing off the dust with an air compressor before the bisque fire.

Here are the decanters that we just fired and removed from the kiln this morning.

Once again I've taken over the kitchen nook for glazing.

Tonight I have another load in the kiln. I can fire 16 during the bisque fire because they can touch. I don't know how many will fit when they need to be apart.

Thanks for checking this out. Wendy and Dan

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2011-07-31 13:32 ]

The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-24 7:51 pm   Permalink

This is just so awesome to watch the "play-by-play" as these decanters are "born". Can't wait to see the finished product! Thank you!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation