FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Sacramento Capital Tiki Bar/Living Space Tour October 7th, 8th & 9th, 2011-Registration Full
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )
Sacramento Capital Tiki Bar/Living Space Tour October 7th, 8th & 9th, 2011-Registration Full
Savage Tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-07-02 12:31 am   Permalink

I for one would like to see the rumored paradise that is your home. So please add your selves to the list so I don't have to wonder if I get to see where the tiki Gods go on vacation. I'm sure that I'm not the only one that has that opinion.

View Profile of Savage Tiki Send a personal message to Savage Tiki  Email Savage Tiki Goto the website of Savage Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-02 07:43 am   Permalink

Eric is that you? That's the second arm twist. It takes three! Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-02 09:57 am   Permalink

ttttwwwiiiiiiisssSSTTT - hope this does it! Thanks Wendy!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Savage Tiki

Posted: 2010-07-02 4:51 pm   Permalink

Yes Wendy it's Eric.

I hope that everyone who wants to see your Jungle Room will chime in and gentilly "twist your arm" not just the three of us.

[ This Message was edited by: Savage Tiki 2010-07-02 16:57 ]

View Profile of Savage Tiki Send a personal message to Savage Tiki  Email Savage Tiki Goto the website of Savage Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LiddleLola
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-02 7:12 pm   Permalink

I always want to see their jungle room. I would like to live there actually. A true jungle retreat without the spiders, bugs and slugs.

That's a fourth twist. We better stop or her arm won't be able to make those mugs.

Darilyn

View Profile of LiddleLola Send a personal message to LiddleLola      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-02 9:15 pm   Permalink

I agree wendy, I know that the pics posted here on tc can not due it justice! I showed the pics to my wife and the repy was a suprised "WOW"

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-03 4:15 pm   Permalink

Guess what, I just got an email today that the mold is finished. Now we have to figure out when we can pick it up in far off Wheatland. Mike will teach me how to take it apart and put it back together. Its a five piece mold, complicated.

Soon I'll be working on the mugs.

OK twisted enough, Duane we are on the list. We would like the earliest in the day spot possible that still makes the crawl work. The jungle is dark even in the morning! Cheers, Wendy

Here's a preview of one corner of the room.

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-09 5:45 pm   Permalink

Back again. Mike finished the mold for the Crawl mug and poured one. It looks like he was able to keep all the detail. He's a master. This weekend I'll get out to Wheatland for a visit and to pick up the mold so I can start pouring more. There's lots to do before October is here. Cheers, Wendy

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-09 6:21 pm   Permalink

Looks great Wendy! How exciting!!!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-09 7:16 pm   Permalink

Ooooh...you will have to drive HWY 65 Wendy, I might have to hijack you on your way back home to get a gander at that mug...LOL. Have a great weekend...you must be so excited!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Savage Tiki

Posted: 2010-07-09 7:49 pm   Permalink

Wendy,
Can you explain why the mug is smaller than the model?

I can almost taste the tiki drinks now... Oh, wait, that's because I have one but not in that mug which can only improve the drinks tiki tilt. Can hardly wait.

[ This Message was edited by: Savage Tiki 2010-07-09 19:53 ]

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-09 8:42 pm   Permalink

Hi Vamp, when we drove to his home the first time we were talking about you and how close we were. That was back when this pneumonia was new. Now I'm on the way to getting well. See you soon, hugs, Wendy

Hi Eric, the original is molded with plaster so the mold is the exact size of what I made. Slip is poured into the mold. The plaster pulls moisture out of the clay. As the clay dries it pulls its self loose from the sides of the mold. So it has shrunk. An original must always be made 10% to 20% larger than how you want the final item to be. It must be dried completely before it is fired for the first time or it will explode in the kiln. Even though it is dry it may shrink more when bisked. The last step is to glaze it. It's still a large mug.

If you look at the mug I just made with Babalu (under crafts) I posted a photo
of Mike R. holding the vintage mug I based mine on in one hand and the mug I made in his other. When my mug is done it will be closer in size to the original.

See you in October, Wendy

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2010-07-09 20:49 ]

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-11 4:48 pm   Permalink

Update as of today! We picked up the mold from Mike yesterday. This morning I got out everything I would need to filter the slip and pour it into the mold. Then I waited 45 minutes. Next I drained the mold. Four hours later I took the mold apart and cleaned up the still damp mug. I removed excess clay from the rim and smoothed down the seams with wet fingers. This is the first time I've ever done this and it's a lot of work. Clean up every thing after you use it or the slip will harden on it. The mold is out drying, every day or two I will try to repeat this process. Mike had poured and cleaned two to test the mold so three down ? to go. Wendy

Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-11 4:56 pm   Permalink

Holy cow...what an amazing job and your talent shines through even more (if that is possible)? How many do you cast before you fire them?

Good question on how many? You may want to start a thread so you know. BTW, please put me down for at least two!

Will you be at Vamp's July party? See ya soon!

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-11 5:55 pm   Permalink

Looks great Wendy, I had no doubt you could do it

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation