FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events 3rd annual Surf Guitar101 convention, Sat. Aug 7th, So. Cal. & see Jonpaul with the Insect Surfers
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
3rd annual Surf Guitar101 convention, Sat. Aug 7th, So. Cal. & see Jonpaul with the Insect Surfers
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-06 2:56 pm   Permalink

Have fun for me guy's I wish it was next weekend....

View Profile of Beach Bum Scott Send a personal message to Beach Bum Scott      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-06 8:23 pm   Permalink

I'll be there! Awesome line-up, Jeff!

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-07 5:18 pm   Permalink

Had to cut out at 3pm to catch a plane. I was able to enjoy the All-star Jam, Surfside IV, and the Wadadli Riders. What a great event !! Just one of the sets would have been worth the trip.

BigTikiDude had it running like a finely tuned surf guitar. He had to deal with technical issues (he got shocked by an amp chord), management issues (the music was too loud for the waitresses to hear orders), and herd the musicians on time. He did it all like a seasoned professional. I was impressed.

My favorite quote of the day: "It's fun but it's stressful."

Jeff, I think everyone attending appeciates your time, effort, and great Surf music expertise in putting the event together. Thank you !!

One interesting observation: The Surf music crowd doesn't really drink. I was told the Starting Gate was selling more food than booze !!

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-08 07:21 am   Permalink

Well done, BTD!

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-08 07:33 am   Permalink

Had a good time! Even saw Marie there! Very cool that Woohoo Wahine was running the door! (I really tried my best to sneak in for free, but the image in my mind of an enraged soccer tiki tracking me down and delivering a smack down scared me too much!)

The fabulous Insect Surfers with Jonpaul!

And the man himself!

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-08 08:25 am   Permalink

thanks for coming, and for the kind words.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surf fink
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-08 09:43 am   Permalink

THANK YOU JEFF, What a great day. You did an amazing job. All the bands were just wonderful. Thanks again.

View Profile of surf fink Send a personal message to surf fink      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-08 10:06 am   Permalink

Jeff, mahalo for a most amazing day at the Surf Guitar 101 Convention! All the bands were stellar!

Well played my friend!

[ This Message was edited by: chrisandsarahb 2010-08-08 10:07 ]

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-08 4:51 pm   Permalink

Incredible job Jeff, it was a great day! I agree it was really terrific to see Marie!

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-08 6:15 pm   Permalink

Yeah, that was an amazing event! I'm very impressed, Jeff!
I loved that surf band from Germany.... What were they called? Anyway, great event! Great to see Marie too!!

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sofa King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-08 9:59 pm   Permalink

Great show!

What an extremely well organized event with killer bands. I really enjoyed myself.
In my opinion BTD has this thing completely dialed-in. Bravo.

SF

View Profile of Sofa King Send a personal message to Sofa King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-09 3:33 pm   Permalink

Great event Jeff! Arrived later than I hoped but was to enjoy all of the Space Cossacks set, can't wait until next year!

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-09 4:45 pm   Permalink

Bummed I missed this.Was really looking forward to going .Had several things
happen ,coupled with I am trying to get a bunch of lamps done for Oasis .
BTW Jeff have you ever heard of a band out of Costa Mesa called the
"Alejandros Awesome Surf band " ? Saw them play late one night at La Cave and
they sounded good.I Picked up one of their CDS .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-10 09:35 am   Permalink

Not only is BTD a world's leading authority on Surf Music, he's also an accomplished musician in his own right. Here he is performing to one of the most discerning and rabid audiences on the subject.

He held his own with some of the best !!

Here's WoohooWahine tirelessly manning the door.

Joe Banks and Tikiyaki made many Tiki/Exotica converts out of the Surf Music nerds, um I mean fans. Now all we have to do is teach them how to drink.

And who says Surf musicians can't be "exotic". Here's the Wadadli Riders by way of Antigua (Caribbean) and Italy. They did a great set !!

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-08-10 11:39 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-10 10:46 am   Permalink

This was a great event.

Say what you want about BTD and his surf music obsession, but he put together a well organized, publicized and attended event.

Bands and fans from all over the world, pioneers from the original surf bands, and the newer guys all coming together and laying it down....great stuff, and unlike other events like this, the bands actually made money, from what I understand.

Hell, I sold lots of Tikiyaki CD's, mostly due to main man and super salesman Kirby, who was giving all the surf geeks the hard sell on the Tikiyaki Orchestra.

Kudos to BTD and this event.

Now, if we can get a more "tropical" looking venue, that would really be something.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation