FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Favorite drink and why
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Favorite drink and why
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-08 1:03 pm   Permalink

Jab,
My cousin recently went to Martinique. Whenever he goes down to the Caribbean I ask him to look for Pimento Liqueur and "real" Fallernum (the slightly alcoholic kind). He didn't find any, and he didn't find anyone who had ever heard of them. When on Oahu last year I was looking for a bottle of Okolehao, no one had heard of it. This year I found a bottle at a fancy liquor store in Honolulu. Oke is a distillate of the Ti plant. This Oke is made from whiskey and Ti root. Does it stack up to the real thing? I don't know I've never tried the real thing.

Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-05-08 1:41 pm   Permalink

Al, that looks like the real McCoy to me.

After having received blank stares from liquor store clerks for years when asking for "Pimento Liqueur" (or being shown the martini olives), I finally decided to call some Jamaican food stores. I found one in Oakland that knew exactly what I was talking about. He said "you got to go to Jamaica for that mon!"

I was somewhat surprised at Mondo Tiki that the winner of the bikini contest won a trip to Jamaica (and that few entered that contest) while the ugly Aloha shirt contest winner just won a Shag decanter set. Talk about discrimination!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-05-08 1:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-08 13:02, aquarj wrote:
Actually, Lemon Hart isn't / wasn't *just* demerara. There *was* a Lemon Hart Jamaican gold rum, which the Grog Log talks about and which used to be sold here but is no longer available. In fact, I cleaned out the last bottles of it at Lanai Liquors a couple years ago (they must've been on the shelf for many moons). I think I gave one bottle to mrsmiley the first time I went to a party at Chez UGH. You can sample from my last bottle next time you visit Belmont.

I think a certain weirduncle here has some pimento liqueur, given his knowledge of the secret booze wholesaler handshakes.

-Randy

Randy, did you ever get that Pimento Liqueur from that web site of Jamaican foods? They stopped selling it before I checked it out.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-08 7:32 pm   Permalink

Y'know, I've never understood the PBR fad. I guess it's a backlash from when craft brewing started sounding too snooty. Pabst is mediocre beer at best. I like it when I'm too poor to drink anything else, but the price is the only thing that makes it palatable. It's less crappy than comparably priced beer - guess that's not a very catchy ad campaign, though... Personally, having BEEN working class, I don't get the desire of educated, well-off folks to PRETEND they're working class. Being a wage-slave sucks, why would you pretend otherwise?

Or is that too Squawkish?

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-08 8:06 pm   Permalink

TikiMax, I was just kidding.
But I will drink just about anything except warm beer. Cajabuz

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-08 8:23 pm   Permalink

Didn't mean to come off cranky. I'm totally with you about the warm beer thing, too. I like mine just shy of having ice crystals in it... Woody, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Brits think we Yanks are boors 'cause we like our beer so cold? I mean, among other reasons, that is...

My rant about the PBR thing was knee jerk as it's something that's been nagging at me for awhile. Still, it IS better than Coors Light! Cheaper too, but that's the part I don't understand - why all the hype about basically saying "Pabst: it's all I can afford!". Now THERE'S a catchy ad campaign...

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-08 8:42 pm   Permalink

It's cool.

Cajabuz

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-05-08 8:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Randy, did you ever get that Pimento Liqueur from that web site of Jamaican foods? They stopped selling it before I checked it out.

No luck. I forget the details, but I think they said they'd wait for more orders, and they would've done it if I could've ordered a case. I also tried some bay area superstore liquor joints with websites claiming that they'll order anything for you, but more deadends. I could've sworn someone here or on the old yahoo group once talked about buying the little allspice / pimento balls and making their own.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegasvic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-09 07:59 am   Permalink

Now this is thread that is right up my alley. Here's a few favs:

- Ice Cold Gin Martini straight-up with a twist (Plymouth's or Boodle's please) @ the Vong Bar in HK (although not lately, it's tough to drink 'em through those SARS mask)

- Gin and Tonic @ Harvey Nick's Fifth Floor in London (a bit tourista, but its a good place to start things off)

- Mojito @ the Ghostbar in LV. Great atmosphere, excellent view - even when looking outside.

- Manhattan (Makers Mark please) @ Whiskey Park, Monkey Bar, Bull & Bear, or any of a dozen other haunts in Midtown.

- Ice Cold Old Style in a plastic cup @ Wrigley Field, Left Field Bleachers, Sunny day with the wind blowing out

- Caipirinha's wheeled to you on a little trolley, accompanied by mountains of meat at Churrascaria Plataforma in NYC (49th btwn 8th and 9th)

- Singapore Sling (before they started making them in oil tanker quanity and shot them out of a gun) accompanied by peanuts and satay @ The Long Bar in Singapore

- Hurricanes in the courtyard @ Pat O'Brien's in New Orleans (tip: beware the Mint Juleps)

And last, but certainly not least:

- The fabulous Mai Tai, made fresh and served beach or poolside just about anywhere in Hawaii (although I have had a few bad experiences when I've been in "let's-find-the-cheapest-Mai-Tai!" adventures with buddies).

Recipes @
http://www.vegasvics.com/cocktail_time.htm

Aloha,

Vic

View Profile of vegasvic Send a personal message to vegasvic  Email vegasvic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cowtown Kahuna
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-09 10:51 am   Permalink

TikiMaxton,

For what it's worth, I always thought PBR tasted better than Budweiser, Coors, Miller or any other reasonably priced domestic beer. I just never realized it was a fad?

Vegas Vic,

I love your Live 365 stations. Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Cowtown Kahuna

View Profile of Cowtown Kahuna Send a personal message to Cowtown Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-09 11:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-09 10:51, Cowtown Kahuna wrote:
For what it's worth, I always thought PBR tasted better than Budweiser, Coors, Miller or any other reasonably priced domestic beer. I just never realized it was a fad?

When I'm at the Bigfoot Lodge, I always drink Pabst on tap -- it's far more drinkable than most mass-produced domestic beers.

--cindy

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-05-09 11:34 am   Permalink

Regarding PBR and lager in general: I love it ice cold on a hot day. Since hot days are fairly scarce around here (Oakland) I usually order a British ale such as Fuller's or Young's or a German or Beligian beer. Personally I find most American microbrew beer overrated. Most are not as well balanced as European beer. They've had hundreds of years of practice and they have it down cold (or lukewarm if you prefer). I envy Trader Woody for being able to go into a pub every day for a pint of bitter!

Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-09 1:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-08 20:23, TikiMaxton wrote:
Woody, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Brits think we Yanks are boors 'cause we like our beer so cold?

Not at all! To be honest though, that's the only way to serve your most popular domestic lager-style brews. If you served them 'warm' (room temperature or actually a little lower in reality) like our British bitter, you'd just taste unpleasant chemicals.

I actually like the way Australians drink their beer - from stubbies. Like the US, there's a need to drink the beer cold, so they drink from tiny little bottles. A couple of gulps and it's gone. When you need another, just grab one from the ice-box and it's cold and fresh. Out in the blazing heat of the Australian Outback, I'd rather have a couple of cold stubbies than a pint of British beer, any day!

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-09 1:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-09 11:34, thejab wrote:
I envy Trader Woody for being able to go into a pub every day for a pint of bitter!

Well, I may not grab a decent pint every day, but I do appreciate what we have on offer here! Since you can get hold of Youngs, have you ever tried their Double Chocolate Stout? Amazing stuff. Try it side by side with a pint of Guinness and you'd soon be chucking the Guinness away like old bilge-water.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-09 5:15 pm   Permalink

According to Consumer Reports PBR was one of their highest rated beers according to taste. I also have to say that Miller High Life in the glass bottles is also a damn good beer! Trader Woody - what you refer to as stubbies are often referred to as ponies here in the states! There's a beer from Latrobe Pennsylvania called Rolling Rock that is readily available in the small 7 ounce bottles! I don't drink Rolling Rock all the time but on those 100 degree days in the middle of the summer, after you get finished mowing the grass, they taste unbelievable!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation