FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Disneyland Hotel Remodel / Restaurant Reminiscent of the original Tahitian Terrace
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Disneyland Hotel Remodel / Restaurant Reminiscent of the original Tahitian Terrace
Pineappleman11
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-25 08:46 am   Permalink

Trader Sam's here I come......
I walked by yesterday and was questioning whether it was actually opening today since all the blue construction walls were still up.....

To quote Spongebob "I'm Ready I'm Ready"

View Profile of Pineappleman11 Send a personal message to Pineappleman11  Goto the website of Pineappleman11     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiggrirl

Posted: 2011-05-25 2:28 pm   Permalink

Hey, does anyone have pics yet? Dying to see!

View Profile of tiggrirl Send a personal message to tiggrirl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-25 3:58 pm   Permalink

Pics from The Cast Member Preview last Thursday 5/20/11...

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-25 4:02 pm   Permalink

How are the Cocktails?

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-25 4:09 pm   Permalink

Pics from Opening Day 5/25/11

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-25 4:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-25 16:02, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
How are the Cocktails?

Drinks are Tiki-rrific!! Make sure you order a UH OA!!!

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-25 4:30 pm   Permalink

That is so cool! Thanks for the pics, can't wait to go.

It really is the Happiest Place on Earth!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-25 5:00 pm   Permalink

such a blast! I really can't wait to go back. That bar was extremely proper and the cocktails are nothing short of amazing.

Food was excellent and the staff is the best!!!

View Profile of carlosrossi Send a personal message to carlosrossi  Goto the website of carlosrossi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-25 5:38 pm   Permalink

I just went there after work. The bar looks really cool....but it is really small. All in all, this is probably what our beloved tiki bars of yore looked like when they were brand new.

The restaurant was a letdown. Little more then a cafeteria, and nothing really tiki about it.

I got there at 4:45 and there were a few parking spots left, but by the time I left, there were tons of cars looking for spots to park in...and there were not any I could see.

I did not try any food or drink, so I can't say anything about it.

There was a hawaiian band setting up just as I was leaving...upright bass, uke, steel guitar....but the band was wearing castmember shirts with name tags, so I don;t think the entertainment will be an option for bands like the menehunes, who are strictly freelancers.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-25 5:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-25 16:11, WooHooWahine wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-05-25 16:02, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
How are the Cocktails?

Drinks are Tiki-rrific!! Make sure you order a UH OA!!!

Thanks WooHoo! for the info.

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquaorama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 05:02 am   Permalink

Went for some drinks last night and enjoyed it greatly. The bartenders had a "Jungle Boat Skipper" attitude that was cool and added some pep. Loved seeing a "Squid" designed Tiki Bowl in use and also pictured on the menu....Hopefully he is making some good Micky Dough off it!

View Profile of aquaorama Send a personal message to aquaorama      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ESP182
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-26 09:44 am   Permalink

Attended the grand opening last evening. Able to bump into a few familiar "tiki-folk" while hanging out at the bar. Talked with Kevin Kidney, and his picture (circa 1985 Jungle Cruise operator) is located at the waiters/waitresses station (right before the restrooms). Picture opposite on the wall is of John Lasseter (yes Pixar John Lasseter doing his Jungle Cruise schtick). Anyways, there are some pretty cool things going on inside that have to be experienced to enjoy. They took a page from the Tiki-Ti with respect to getting people involved with drinks being served.

On the mild downside, they were really regulating the occupancy in the bar. No standing room only, your party needs to have seats accounted for in the bar. Once you have a seat, lounging about is ok. Felt sorry for the people waiting outside, as you don't know if/when people will leave.

Cocktails were pretty good too. Had the Ua Oh(?) bowl and was pleased.

Just another note, the area around the terrace/bar is still under construction. There is no access to the bar when using the Mickey Magic Hat/Stars entrance - dead ends due to construction walls. Just keep walking by that access area (Hat/Stars entrance) and going past the hotel building (faces downtown Disney) to get to the bar/terrace.

Tiki Scale 8/10

[ This Message was edited by: ESP182 2011-05-26 09:46 ]

View Profile of ESP182 Send a personal message to ESP182      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JudyLuck
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-26 09:59 am   Permalink

Went last night and ran into a few tiki buddies ; )
I agree with lucas...The restaurant was a letdown.... The food at Tangaroa Terrace is like a cafeteria. You get in line, go up to a screen and press what you want... I'm sure the menu will change over time (this was only the first day after all), but as of now there are not many things to choose from. Seems better for breakfast. I did however have the ahi from Trader Sams... it was okay, nothing special for ten bucks. And its super small! When they say appetizer, they mean it... bar food for sure.
Trader Sam's however is sooooo cool inside! They do a great job telling the story of trader sam, and tying in the enchanted tiki room with the jungle cruise, (theres even a picture of Sam's hula girlfriend hehe). And if I'm not mistaken... was that not a painting from the hunters and collectors show above the bar? =)
Now on to the drinks...Warning... the mai tai is SWEET! And oddly tasted like pineapple... hmmm.... but you get to keep the glass!
I could go on and on about it, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone, so go in there... and take a look around, because theres a lot to look at!

Drink menu... notice... no prices (the mai tai is 13.50 for anyone who wants to know)

I enjoyed the giant tikis surrounding the building

View Profile of JudyLuck Send a personal message to JudyLuck      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 10:07 am   Permalink

I was at Trader Sam's from 6-9pm last night, and was very impressed! They managed to incorporate elements of the Enchanted Tiki Room, Tiki Ti, and most importantly have a lot of the vibe of a real tiki bar on Disney property. Not sure if I should spoil anything for anyone who hasn't been there yet, but if you order certain drinks, certain entertaining interactive events happen (which is why I mention Tiki Ti and the Enchanted Tiki Room) which is why Trader Sam's is a definite must to visit!

Big Tiki Dude, Jonpaul and Chris B. were there as well, and a couple of gals named Gina and Christine who tiki fans and sometime TC lurkers (they were at the Tiki Ti 50th Anniversary). The drinks themselves were fairly good, though we noticed some fairly large inconsistencies in the same drink between different bartenders (this was opening night though, so that's standard for a new establishment). They also played Tikiyaki Orchestra on the sound system, and BTD pointed out one of Kirby's masks amongst the decorations, which was cool.

The door person also was monitoring capacity, and for those of us used to Tiki Ti and other small bars, "max capacity" here was pretty roomy. As Lucas mentioned, there was a 2-3 piece Hawaiian group playing outside, but it did seem like they might have been the same Disneyland musicians who play Tomorrowland Terrace or elsewhere, who were told "get ukuleles and steel guitars and wear this shirt." I didn't spend too much time outside, because the vibe was inside. As mentioned, the inside of the food service part was nothing special--a standard Disney fast food service area with no particular tiki mood inside. The mood is all in Trader Sam's, and I heartily recommend checking it out!

Caltiki Brent

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 10:17 am   Permalink

I should say that while I was there I had a Krakatoa Punch (which is an absolute MUST to order, for reasons you'll discover)--it comes in a Tiki Farm 2003 Drew brown mug (drink was about $17 with the mug). It was good. I also ordered a Shipwreck on the Rocks (another must for you or someone in your party to order for the same reasons), a bourbon drink that I thought was a bit too lemonady (I'm a bourbon fan and couldn't taste the bourbon). And as Karen mentioned, the Uh Oa is something you should order if you have two or more people (it's a bowl). I also had a Shrunken Zombie Head, which was a good zombie takeoff (but very strong on the cinnamon syrup). They use a lot of the authentic ingredients such as falernum, passion fruit syrup and orgeat, and had Coruba dark, Appleton Estate Reserve and Pyrat on the bar (along with Bacardi, Captain Morgan and Myers).

Caltiki Brent

[ This Message was edited by: congawa 2011-05-26 10:21 ]

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation