FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Disneyland Hotel Remodel / Restaurant Reminiscent of the original Tahitian Terrace
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Disneyland Hotel Remodel / Restaurant Reminiscent of the original Tahitian Terrace
TikiGeeki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 10:45 am   Permalink

I'm interested to go try it, looks like a cool place!

However, the menu and description of the cocktails makes me think they are doing exactly what tiki did wrong in the 70's... sugary syrup in place of good rums and cocktail balance. Don and Vic didn't build an empire on sugar. It's a real shame when you find a cool place that serves jolly ranchers because "people expect sweet" when it comes to tropical drinks. I can't tell you how many times I've cringed when talking to someone and telling them how cool tiki is only to hear them reply, "Oh, I don't like sweet drinks..." *facepalm*

I'd like to know what rums are actually in the drinks. Anyone can have good rums as top shelf options, but whats actually IN those mugs and bowls?!

Honoring my gods one sip at a time.

View Profile of TikiGeeki Send a personal message to TikiGeeki  Goto the website of TikiGeeki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-05-26 11:43 am   Permalink

I was there earlier in the evening, saw the line, went to Disneyland and rode a few rides, then came back at 9:15 and got right in.

I was really impressed with the decor and ambiance of Trader Sam's. Tons of clutter and things to look at. I also ordered the Shipwreck on The Rocks and found it a really good drink. The bartender named Rhonda made it for me and JonPaul said she seemed to be making the drinks right. I could definitely taste the bourbon. I saw that another drink on the menu called for demerara rum, which might indicate that they're using better rums than most places?

I left feeling satisfied in the experience and happy that we have yet another legitimate tiki bar here in Southern California.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 12:09 pm   Permalink

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fatalblades/sets/72157626812169414/

here's a photo set of my adventure yesterday with the excellent company of soccertiki & woohoowahine!

View Profile of carlosrossi Send a personal message to carlosrossi  Goto the website of carlosrossi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGeeki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 2:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-26 12:09, carlosrossi wrote:

here's a photo set of my adventure yesterday with the excellent company of soccertiki & woohoowahine!

Awesome! Thanks for the detail shots of the menu... much easier to see ingredients! Wow... a Mai Tai with light and dark rums, the usual ingredients and NO PINEAPPLE juice. Very impressive! They seem to enjoy the agave in numerous cocktails, interesting addition. Probably that's adding to the sweet a couple people mentioned. At least its not a high fructose corn syrup mix. Seems like an impressive collection of cocktails and an awesome atmosphere. Hopefully, they will go light on the sweet in the future. Does make me feel a little uncomfortable they just say "Light", "Dark" and "Spiced" with the rums. Of all the things, rum based cocktails are the only ones that specifically use and call for brands or regions. Still a little worried Bacardi would be the "light" and the agave is hiding the crappy rums.

*cross my fingers*

Glad to see a new tiki bar... hope it does well beyond the initial opening. I'll definitely need to get there soon!

Honoring my gods one sip at a time.

View Profile of TikiGeeki Send a personal message to TikiGeeki  Goto the website of TikiGeeki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 3:37 pm   Permalink

Sabu--I ordered my Shipwreck on the Rocks from another bartender named Ron, which was more lemony, and Jonpaul got his from Rhonda and said it was stronger. JP also ordered one called Lost Safari which was dark brown very rummy made by Rhonda, while the woman I was sitting next to (Gina) had the same drink from Ron which was red and very grenadine. So it sounds like Rhonda is the bartender to get your drinks from!

As I mentioned, I saw Coruba dark and Appleton Estate Reserve, and according to the Dark and Tiki blog they're using Trader Tiki syrups:

http://darkandtiki.blogspot.com/2011/05/bars-trader-sams-is-now-open.html

TikiGeeki--the two rum drinks I had were not overly sweet (only the bourbon drink). And I tried a little of the Rosita's Margarita (which Rhonda told us is named for the girl the parrot Jose mentions in the Enchanted Tiki Room) as well as the Ginger's Pear-adise that others had and they were pretty good. I saw Pyrat XO behind the bar, but I don't know how many customers they're going to have looking for aged sipping rums. Being part of a big entity, likely going through a central beverage manager for the whole hotel (or all Disney resorts) it's great that they do have more than just the usual Bacardi-Myers-Morgan parlay.

Caltiki Brent

[ This Message was edited by: congawa 2011-05-26 15:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: congawa 2011-05-26 15:49 ]

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 3:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-26 15:37, congawa wrote:

As I mentioned, I saw Coruba dark and Appleton Estate Reserve, and according to the Dark and Tiki blog they're using Trader Tiki syrups:

http://darkandtiki.blogspot.com/2011/05/bars-trader-sams-is-now-open.html

I should have said, after posting this link: SPOILER ALERT (regarding some of the videos).

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pineappleman11
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 5:15 pm   Permalink

Here is part 1 of my Trader Sam's blog
http://pineapplemantiki.blogspot.com/2011/05/trader-sams-is-open-for-business-photo.html

Picture of the day

[ This Message was edited by: Pineappleman11 2011-05-26 17:16 ]

View Profile of Pineappleman11 Send a personal message to Pineappleman11  Goto the website of Pineappleman11     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 6:20 pm   Permalink

They better be careful who they call names, I know for fact, GROG have friends (hard as it may be to believe).

Besides, they do epic zoomorphic fail, anyone can see GROG caveman, not simian.

Bear

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 7:22 pm   Permalink

sorry about the Spoilers!! So hard to contain the excitement!!

View Profile of carlosrossi Send a personal message to carlosrossi  Goto the website of carlosrossi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 7:33 pm   Permalink

Regarding the band outside,
I talked to the guys and they said that they had not worked for Disney before.
They found them somewhere, and brought them in.
That being said, even if you are outsourced you have to wear a Disney Badge if you are working in the park.

I thought that the Bar was pretty good, but..... Very Disney.
If I had the money to build a tiki bar, I think I would skip some of the kitchyness of it.

2 of the 3 drinks were fair, like a 6 or 7 on a 1 to 10 scale,
and the Mai Tai was really sweet. I don't think I will order that again.

Over all its really cool,
and I will go back over and over.
maybe not once a week, but surely at least once a month.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-26 7:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

WooHoo! Tiki-rrific Photos! Mahalo for taking the time to post them. Can't wait to meet you back there

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 7:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-26 19:39, WooHooWahine wrote:
Quote:

WooHoo! Tiki-rrific Photos! Mahalo for taking the time to post them. Can't wait to meet you back there

Thanks! I had a blast, and really hope to make it down tot Don's on Monday to meet more TC'ers! Plus you all need to get to Trader Sam's if you haven't already!!

DARK&TIKI

chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 8:44 pm   Permalink

Lost In Paradise: Tangaroa Terrace and Trader Sam's Opening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ-VtWW1-co

Mahaloz and Cheers!

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pineappleman11
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 9:00 pm   Permalink

Chris Loved your comment in video about hopefully seeing the backside of water

View Profile of Pineappleman11 Send a personal message to Pineappleman11  Goto the website of Pineappleman11     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 9:00 pm   Permalink

That was a fun one to watch. They keep getting better and better!
I can't believe you didn't take us into the bar!!! (Yeah, yeah, I know...you're saving the surprise for everyone to experience for themselves... Very considerate of you. And very frustrating at the same time!!!) Haha...

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation