FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Disneyland Hotel Remodel / Restaurant Reminiscent of the original Tahitian Terrace
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Disneyland Hotel Remodel / Restaurant Reminiscent of the original Tahitian Terrace
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 9:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-26 21:00, Luckydesigns wrote:
That was a fun one to watch. They keep getting better and better!
I can't believe you didn't take us into the bar!!! (Yeah, yeah, I know...you're saving the surprise for everyone to experience for themselves... Very considerate of you. And very frustrating at the same time!!!) Haha...

Right ? Total tease ! Like the season finale of Hawii 5-0....total cliffhanger.Not fair Chris !

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cvcgolf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-26 10:34 pm   Permalink

I'm going there tomorrow.. Do you think they're pouring drinks at 9:00 am?.. Ha!.. (actually I'm dead serious)

View Profile of cvcgolf Send a personal message to cvcgolf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-26 11:45 pm   Permalink

I believe the bartender told me they were open from noon to 1am, seven days a week, if I remember right.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2011-05-26 23:45 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Registered Astronaut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-26 11:48 pm   Permalink

SPOILERS
went on 5/25 opening day. One of the best places to drink on the whole property, up there with the Hearth Lounge at the Grand Californian.
Disney's answer to the Tiki Ti. Operationally, I think they should tone down the jokes and gimmicks and only do the volcano eruption and hurricane/ shipwrecks every half hour in rotation. The frequency made it not so special after the fifth or sixth time.

The drinks are getting there. My best guess is they paid a lot of money to a consultant who knew what they were doing. All the rums pretty much checked out, and the mixes were legit. I even noticed a Don Q dark (not gold) I'd never seen in the states. But the menu obviously has to be flyover friendly, which means not too culinary or classic- and all the consulting in the world will not force bartenders to use their jiggers to measure or magically make them appreciate the ideals of a well balanced drink. None of the four drinks we ordered were measured. They were impressively strong and, all things considered, pretty decent for an amusement park bar, even if we hold Disney to a higher standard than most.

I will be back, and I'm sure they'll iron out the kinks. What would be ideal is a staff of bartenders who know the "real" recipes and would make them if you tipped well and smiled politely.

[ This Message was edited by: Registered Astronaut 2011-05-26 23:50 ]

View Profile of Registered Astronaut Send a personal message to Registered Astronaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Missing User65958
Unregistered User
Posted: 2011-05-27 08:14 am   Permalink

Now I'm excited more than ever to go! Trader Sam's here I come! -well soon anyway

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-27 09:15 am   Permalink

I looked around but couldnt find it!! Is Trader Sams 21 or older? or is it apart of the restaurant.

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGeeki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-27 09:24 am   Permalink

So I reached out to my "people" and got word that the drink menu was developed by "Stuart McGuire, Manager of Beverage & Concept Development for Disney Parks & Resorts." Not to be a cocktail snob, though I definitely am, but that's pretty darn impressive that a big corporate honcho for all the parks was the one crafting the menu. Not sure if he had 'help' or not, but clearly they/he takes these cocktails seriously and did them honor.

I'm still not too keen on the agave... but it is interesting to see this place is not an odd little mishap within the larger park scene. Hopefully we'll see more and more of them pop up around the country/world.

Honoring my gods one sip at a time.

View Profile of TikiGeeki Send a personal message to TikiGeeki  Goto the website of TikiGeeki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JudyLuck
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-27 10:17 am   Permalink

yay chris! still wish we ran into you, but oh well, group trip soon!

View Profile of JudyLuck Send a personal message to JudyLuck      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Registered Astronaut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-27 11:07 am   Permalink

slightly off topic, but my Disneyland guru friend said Disneyland hotel up until very recently had waterfalls and lagoons- a very faux tropical setting the in the gardens. Curious why they removed all that since, well, they just put in a tiki bar and retro waterslide. Does anyone have pics?

View Profile of Registered Astronaut Send a personal message to Registered Astronaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-27 1:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-27 11:07, Registered Astronaut wrote:
slightly off topic, but my Disneyland guru friend said Disneyland hotel up until very recently had waterfalls and lagoons- a very faux tropical setting the in the gardens. Curious why they removed all that since, well, they just put in a tiki bar and retro waterslide. Does anyone have pics?

Google the images: Disneyland hotel waterfalls, disneyland hotel mist caves, etc..

This is the only part of the whole deal that bums me out. I spoke with the Jamaican guy and he said that something very cool was going to be put there, and more or less hinted as to why they finally closed it.

Lets just say Disney is probably tired of getting sued by clumsy morons who slip and fall in even the most safe areas, let alone an area like the mist caves that is constantly wet and damp.

The "falls" were beautiful. It was this quiet and shady grotto that I used to love to visit. At night, the colored lights were fantastic and the "caves" were as good as anything you would find on Tom Sawyer's island. But for the last 3-4 years they were always chained off and you could not go down there. yes, it was slippery to walk through, but worth it! Someone obviously complained or threatened to sue...that's why they shut down great attractions...such as the skyway.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mahalomo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-27 2:47 pm   Permalink

Went opening night and my lady friend and I had the pleasure to meet Chris, Jeff (BTD) and a few others. Glad I did. Thanks for the hospitality and welcome.

This place has a excellent tiki feel and screams Disney (in a good way). The drinks were somewhat sweeter than I prefer but better than expected. I had mai tais, and by the third the sweetness just destroyed me, but I managed to make it through all 3. The first one poured was actually excellent and less sweet. I don't recall the 'tenders name. I'll know him when I see him, and order from him from now on.

I ordered my first mai tai in the collector's mug, and buried deep in the ice within my drink was a fresh crisp $2 bill. Great touch, Sams. Finding a 2-spot in my mai tai set the mood just right.

For those of you who have been to the Adventurer's Club (now closed) in Downtown Disney Orlando, this place is the closest thing you're going to get to that experience (including a few "shrinking bar stools"). At one point the manager of the bar put on an old-style beekeepers mask, pilot goggles, and grabbed an old-timey microphone and walked in the front door of the bar and out the employee/bar door of the bar (walking through the bar each time) repeating the same fake "radio review" of the bar itself as he walked by (finishing up with "which is unusual because volcanoes are not common in Southern California"). His script was dead-on each time he walked through. He did this for about 20 minutes straight, evading the notice of most guests. Great little addition to the general goings on of the place and reminiscent of the old Aventurer's Club style of play-acting while serving cocktails. Only these cocktails are much better than the Adventurer's Club's were.

I'll return. Probably often. Where else in the world I can grab a decent tiki drink to the sound of tiki drums/exotica and then proceed to hop a monorail over to board Space Mountain.

It's like getting buzzed in the Enchanted Tiki Room, which I've always wanted to do.

View Profile of mahalomo Send a personal message to mahalomo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-27 3:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-27 14:47, mahalomo wrote:
It's like getting buzzed in the Enchanted Tiki Room, which I've always wanted to do.

Best description about the place so far! I wish I thought of that It was great to meet you guys. My apologies I didn't use your critique, but, I'm sure you understand why. Looking forward to go "adventuring" with you guys again. Cheers!

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-27 5:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-27 09:24, TikiGeeki wrote:
So I reached out to my "people" and got word that the drink menu was developed by "Stuart McGuire, Manager of Beverage & Concept Development for Disney Parks & Resorts." Not to be a cocktail snob, though I definitely am, but that's pretty darn impressive that a big corporate honcho for all the parks was the one crafting the menu.

Chris and I actually meet Stuart McGuire, at The Cast Member Preview Party. He told us that he did a lot of research to create the drink menu.

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-27 10:15 pm   Permalink

Awesome, thanks for the photo! I was wondering where my painting ended up! Can't wait to see the place in person!

The Art Director for Trader Sam's told me (I think) that they were using the Beach Bum Berry's Grog Log to base their drinks on... I could be wrong though, I'm sure we'll eventually find out.

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.flickr.com/photos/tikitony

[ This Message was edited by: tikitony 2011-05-27 22:22 ]

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zinctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-27 11:53 pm   Permalink

The drinks were good. Way good.

Rhonda's a great 'tender. She said she also works at Don The Beachcomber's. Whatta life.

Here's the volcano that erupts when someone orders the Krakatoa Punch.

This guy kept looking down at us. I was waiting for a song but they're pretty quiet.

View Profile of Zinctiki Send a personal message to Zinctiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation