FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Disneyland Hotel Remodel / Restaurant Reminiscent of the original Tahitian Terrace
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Disneyland Hotel Remodel / Restaurant Reminiscent of the original Tahitian Terrace
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-28 12:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-27 22:15, tikitony wrote:

Awesome, thanks for the photo! I was wondering where my painting ended up! Can't wait to see the place in person!

Tony,

You can thank Pineappleman11 for the photo, I linked to it on his photo blog.

Bear

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-29 11:29 am   Permalink

I am happy I got to see this place before I leave for my next job in Europe next week.

I must say they really perpetuated the spirit of Disney in the best way. Yes, it might be a little too much hoopla from the cast bartenders for some of us, but Disneyland is for the kid in the man (and woman), not for the cocktail bar afficionado.

The cocktail names are really clever conceptually, and there's something for everybody to like on the menu. The seating policy is a little weird, it sometimes seemed empty because there were no people standing like in any other bar. I think they should allow a certain number of customers to stand by the bar. Right now, don't come with a group larger than 2, 3 or 4, or you will stay in line too long. I spent most of the time with my group on the porch, touring the bar occasionally with Kevin Kidney.

Kevin and Jody built my favorite attraction in the bar, the bottle ship:

You gotta see it to believe it! I am looking forward to when they will get to design the mugs and drink ware for Sam's, eventually.

(Thanks to Jeniffer Stockert for the photo)

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-29 7:33 pm   Permalink

I agree with Sven,

It was most definitely just a cool experience to have at the park. Most of time I leave and want to linger around and have something interesting to do. I don't like any of the restaurants in downtown disney, and this place was a godsend! Also agreeing with other TC'ers that the Tongaroa Terrace is kinda disappointing but at least the food was good and is available in Sam's. I did enjoy that Kalua Pork flatbread pizza thing, and the fried long beans.

I can't wait to see what the new merch is gonna look like for the bar, and probably going to lean towards the Jungle Cruise vibe?

View Profile of carlosrossi Send a personal message to carlosrossi  Goto the website of carlosrossi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Attorney

Posted: 2011-05-31 09:40 am   Permalink

I was there on opening day; sat next to a very attractive woman at the bar who turned out to be the interior designer. It was a nice chat. </slapping_head> I was too stupid to get her to sign a menu of something </end slapping_head>.

View Profile of Tiki Attorney Send a personal message to Tiki Attorney      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 2:15 pm   Permalink

This was in one of the photos but the link below may be easier to read...

Mouseplanet: Trader Sams menu

[ This Message was edited by: king bushwich the 33rd 2011-05-31 14:23 ]

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Enchanted Tiki Guy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-01 2:07 pm   Permalink

Thanks to all who posted the great photos!! I can't wait to see it in person in a couple weeks! It looks amazing! I've been busy, otherwise I would've made it down sooner! Thank god I live close to DLR!

View Profile of Enchanted Tiki Guy Send a personal message to Enchanted Tiki Guy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ekomomai
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-02 10:31 am   Permalink

My family and I just came back from Disneyland yesterday. We went to Tangaroa Terrace for breakfast on our first day. It was amazing; the staff practically fell all over themselves waiting on us. It was warm enough to sit outside at one of the bench seat tables and listen to music while dining. Some of the music they played I recognized as coming from the old Tahitian Terrace loop.

Next time my wife and I go without kids, we're going to check out Trader Sam's.

View Profile of Ekomomai Send a personal message to Ekomomai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-03 3:38 pm   Permalink

Went to Trader Sams/ Tangaroan Terrace last night for the official Grand Opening Party,which was for press and Disney employees.

I spoke with the main imagineer who conceptualized the entire Trader Sams bar. He was really nice and told me that they were very concerned of what the Tiki Central crowd thought of the whole thing. So far everyone I know who has been there has had nothing but great reviews, and I have to concur, the place is amazing. The Drinks I had (Krakatoa Punch and Shrunken Zombie Head) were both great.... The Shrunken Zombie Head was really strong.

They definitely didn't mess around with the cocktails.As far as the decor goes....great again. Very much like a Disney attraction, with lots of bells and whistles (literally...order a Shipwreck on the Rocks and see what happens) , but a great tiki bar at the same time.

Since most of the Tiki nerds I know are Disney Nerds too, I'd say this is a home run. The food was great as well, tho, the restaurant wasn't open, this was an all catered affair. What I had was samplings from the Restaurant....all great.

Add to that Tikiyaki Orchestra and Martin Denny playing in the bar and restaurant.....perfect !

The fact that they actually cared about what this community thinks is pretty cool,being how we can be real nudnicks about authenticity and "getting it right" , I have to give them big Kudos for caring that much.

The only bad part of the evening was me trying to get from Redondo Beach to Anaheim during Rush hour. BAD IDEA !

So, when is TC Night at Trader Sams ?

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-05 12:44 pm   Permalink

It looks like this place is not some poseur wannabee but deserving of someone making an entry for it under Locating Tiki here on Tiki Central. I do no feel worthy of the task because I do not know the subtleties and idiosyncrasies of such a chore.

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-05 1:08 pm   Permalink

Met up with Jim, Poly, Tiki Ray and a bunch of other cool folk last night...many cocktails were consumed...I have to echo Jim's comments: This is not just a touristy version of a tiki bar...it's a real tiki bar, and finally we have one in my neck of the woods! I intend to make this place a regular stop!

This cocktail was delicious! (and I am not a fan of fruity drinks...)

After, we walked all around and goofed off:

I AM A SOCIOPATH!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-05 8:13 pm   Permalink

Trader Sams rocks! I was so super stoked to find out they have one of my masks hangin on the walls.. what an honor!! Long live Trader Sams!!

Kirby's Island.com****Facebook**

[ This Message was edited by: kirby 2011-06-05 20:13 ]

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-05 10:08 pm   Permalink

That's so rad, Kirby! 40 years from now some future tiki urban archeologist is going to be wondering where that came from, the same way we do now with artifacts from the original disney "tiki/jungle" attractions! What a dream to be associated with Disney!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-07 03:56 am   Permalink

Congratulations Kirby that's awesome, wow! you earned a spot in history

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-17 6:17 pm   Permalink

Way to go Kirby!

Going to check it out tomorrow. Any info on parking?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-17 7:13 pm   Permalink

Park in the Downtown Disney lot for 3 hours free. Its a short walking distance from ESPNzone DTD parking lot.

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation