FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Disneyland Hotel Remodel / Restaurant Reminiscent of the original Tahitian Terrace
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Disneyland Hotel Remodel / Restaurant Reminiscent of the original Tahitian Terrace
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-17 10:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-17 19:13, Tom Slick wrote:
Park in the Downtown Disney lot for 3 hours free. Its a short walking distance from ESPNzone DTD parking lot.

Tom Slick

Thanks for the info.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2011-06-17 23:17 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-17 11:51 pm   Permalink

Great to read the updates...it all sounds like a dream come true!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-17 11:54 pm   Permalink

Going tomorrow night and looking forward to it .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-21 2:09 pm   Permalink

Mouseplanet: An evening at Trader Sam's

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-21 2:53 pm   Permalink

We went to Trader Sam's three times during our travels in SoCal last week.

Atmosphere - absolutely incredible. Dark moody lighting - check. Clutter from floor to ceiling - check. Exotica and surf music on rotation - double check! Cool, interactive tiki elements that come alive when you order different drinks - awesome!

Drink-wise, I'm afraid I'm going to have to say hit or miss. We had a total of eight drinks during our different visits - Shipwreck, Shrunken Zombie Head, Uh-Oa, Krakatoa Punch and the Rosita's Margarita for good measure. The kids (yes kids are allowed, until 8pm when they get booted out) sampled all three non-alcoholic drinks (Schweitzer Falls, Skipper Sipper, Jungle River Sunset).

Out of the bunch, the Shipwreck and the Uh-Oa were the best. The Shipwreck tasted almost exactly like the Eastern Sour I make at home. The Uh-Oa was also very good, served in a Squid "Fourtune Fire" bowl, with nutmeg in the tiki resevoirs to sprinkle on the flame "To appease the gods". It's funny, they sink the flame for you to make sure you don't set yourself on fire.

The other drinks - too damn sweet! They didn't seem shook well, either. I got the distinct impression that consistency is not yet their thing and that your drinking experience is going to vary a lot based on which bartender is working.

That being said, overall I love it. Yeah, the interactive stuff seems a little forced, but I think that it will get better as staff integrates naturally with it. Hopefully drink consistency gets better. I think they're still trying to iron out the kinks (as any new place has to...) but the ingredients are all there.

View Profile of markmywords Send a personal message to markmywords      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-21 5:32 pm   Permalink

Stopped in on Fathers Day Sunday. Very enjoyable experience, nice and cluttered and cozy. Great to see all of the local art on the walls. Tried the Mai Tai, Zombie and Krakatoa, all very good mixes. Ran into Joe Banks who was with his dad and he indicated that there was a Tiki Magazine photo shoot earlier that day. There were several dad's who came in with the families and had a blast at the Tiki bar. Maybe a new tradition - Tiki Bar with the kids!

(Now that's a "Mug Shot")

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2011-06-21 21:36 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-21 6:18 pm   Permalink

One more thing...

This mug was posted by ZincTiki earlier in this thread.

And this is the souvenir mug that my wife bought with the Krakatoa.

Looks like some old Tiki Farm dead stock by Crazy Al. I wonder if they are selling different versions of the souvenir until they get their own design? Anybody seen any others ones?

DC

markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-21 8:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I wonder if they are selling different versions of the souvenir until they get their own design? Anybody seen any others ones?

That's the mug I got. Our server told us it's the only one they're selling.

We were there on father's day too! My family was kind enough to treat me to a one-two punch of brunch at Don the Beachcombers and then dinner at Tangaroa Terrace/Trader Sam's. Ahhh... bliss.

View Profile of markmywords Send a personal message to markmywords      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-21 10:05 pm   Permalink

Just went to trader Sams.... its awsome

[ This Message was edited by: Pele Paul 2011-06-21 22:10 ]

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-24 11:15 am   Permalink

Went to Trader Sam's last night with BigToe and Doug DoRr...
Great vibe,a lotta fun,and STRONG yummy drinks!
two thumbs UP!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cathuna
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-07 05:35 am   Permalink

Man, this is amazing! More ammo to persuade husband we need to detour to Disneyland on our brief LA trip later this year!

View Profile of cathuna Send a personal message to cathuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-07 10:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-07 05:35, cathuna wrote:
Man, this is amazing! More ammo to persuade husband we need to detour to Disneyland on our brief LA trip later this year!

Have you ever been to disneyland? If not, I can give you some tips on how best to survive there and have a good time!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-07 10:36 pm   Permalink

yeah,
go on a cold overcast Wednesday in November.

but seriously,
I try to avoid that place like the plague on weekends,
and nice weather times of year.
Which in So.Cal. is 9 out of 12 months.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SeanH

Posted: 2011-08-08 3:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-07 22:36, bigtikidude wrote:
I try to avoid that place like the plague on weekends,
and nice weather times of year.
Which in So.Cal. is 9 out of 12 months.

Aw, it's not that bad. I've been to Tiki Sam's 3 times since it opened, all on weekends, including yesterday. I've never had a problem getting a table or anything. The parks are pretty busy, but if you're just going for tiki I don't think it is a big deal.

View Profile of SeanH Send a personal message to SeanH      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-08-08 9:43 pm   Permalink

For you history buffs, I have a mug for sale from a previous restaurant in the Tangaroa Terrace building- The Shipyard Inn
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270795754677&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation