FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Disneyland Hotel Remodel / Restaurant Reminiscent of the original Tahitian Terrace
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Disneyland Hotel Remodel / Restaurant Reminiscent of the original Tahitian Terrace
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-28 11:21 am   Permalink

Jason said:

OK...so I have a friend on the "inside" that gave me some information that may clear some things up. This person is also a TC lurker (but not a member), so I'm sure they will see this..they were also at the last Tiki Oasis, have tickets for the next one, and are regulars at Don the Beachcomber, so they have a pretty good idea of what "real" Tiki is.

1. The Jimmy Buffett rumor is dead wrong. They plan to keep things as authentic as possible, right down to the music.

2. Unbelievably, the restaurant will be on a tight budget when it first opens, which unfortunately means no Tikiyaki or Hula Girls...for a while. But that could change when (and if) the restaurant starts to run in the black. It seems pretty unbelievable when you think that this is Disney we are talking about, but for those of us who have had business dealing with the Mouse...this is Disney we're talking about. Jim...my inside source says they would LOVE to have you, but they can't afford you...yet.

3. They are planning on serving authentic Tiki drink recipes at the bar (Trad'r Sams).

Hopefully this alleviates some fears that some of you may have...I for one can't wait to see it. Cheers!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh Wow!!!
Great News,

If the Music, and Drinks are goona be great.
I think I found my new Tiki Bar,
I wouldn't say it's within stumbling distance from home.
But definitely a short 20 min. bike ride.

Jeff(btd)

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2011-04-28 11:24 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiRose
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-02 1:21 pm   Permalink

Update from the Disney Parks blog:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/05/whats-on-the-menu-at-new-disneyland-hotel-restaurants-opening-may-25/

What’s on the Menu at New Disneyland Hotel Restaurants, Opening May 25

We’ve been sharing details here on the Disney Parks Blog about the new Disneyland Hotel restaurants, Tangaroa Terrace – Casual Island Dining and Trader Sam’s – Enchanted Tiki Bar, and today we’ve got even more to share with you. The biggest news is that both restaurants will open on May 25!

Tangaroa Terrace – Casual Island Dining will feature a tropical setting complete with tiki torches and island music setting the stage for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Guests can start the day with signature breakfast items such as French toast with bacon and warm banana-caramel sauce and grilled cinnamon-spice oatmeal with island fruit.

For lunch and dinner, Tangaroa Terrace – Casual Island Dining will offer a 1/3-pound Angus Hawaiian cheeseburger with teriyaki sauce, bacon, grilled pineapple, Havarti, tomato and lettuce burger on a multi-grain bun. (Can you imagine taking the first messy bite?) For the health conscious, the Asian chicken salad has lots of greens (lettuce, cabbage, carrots, sweet peppers and cucumbers) with chicken breast, cashews and rice noodles in a sesame vinaigrette. The Kalua pork flatbread is topped with pulled pork, barbecue sauce, red onion and fresh cilantro.

Every evening, a different “Island Plate Dinner” will be on the menu. Look for miso-crusted salmon, tamarind-glazed pork shanks or panko-crusted chicken, each served with jasmine rice, panko-crusted long beans and green papaya slaw.

If you’re in a hurry, a “Grab ‘n Go” selection includes yogurt parfait with tropical fruits and house-made granola, a tropical fruit plate, house-made pastries, sandwiches, veggie with dips, a sweet potato cake with guava cream cheese icing, pineapple-lilikoi pie, and “Trader Sam’s Dessert Flight” with pineapple upside-down cake, layered passion fruit with pineapple-coconut crème and chocolate coffee cake.

Trader Sam’s—Enchanted Tiki Bar is adjacent to Tangaroa Terrace – Casual Island Dining, with substantial “bar food” – sweet ‘n spicy Asian wings, chicken lettuce wraps, panko-crusted Chinese long beans with Sriracha mayo, tamarind-glazed pork shanks with green papaya slaw and ahi poke (sushi-grade tuna) with avocado, green onion and crispy wontons.

But it’s the vintage island cocktails in kitschy glassware that we can’t wait to try. How about Krakatoa Punch with reserve aged rum, light rum, tropical juices, almond syrup and hibiscus grenadine? Or Uh Oa!, with light rum, spiced rum, guava, orange, passion fruit, grapefruit, fresh lime juice and cinnamon? Serious rum lovers will want to try the HippopotoMai Tai with two shots of light and dark rums, orange curacao, almond syrup, organic agave nectar and fresh lime juice.

The non-alcoholic Schweitzer Falls is a refreshing blend of pineapple, guava, orange and passion fruit juices with all-spice syrup and a splash of Sprite.

Now we’re dreaming of vacation time!

View Profile of MauiRose Send a personal message to MauiRose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-02 1:25 pm   Permalink

bring it on,
can't wait.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pineappleman11
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-02 2:22 pm   Permalink

I'm so there the day it opens

View Profile of Pineappleman11 Send a personal message to Pineappleman11  Goto the website of Pineappleman11     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-02 3:35 pm   Permalink

AHH! Excellent! I can't wait, this is going to be great! I'm definitely going to be there.

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-05-02 3:40 pm   Permalink

I just read about this on the Disneyland facebook page and am really really excited!
Ah man I'm going there this weekend so I will be too early for the opening - doh!

where exactly is it located - in the middle of the original Disneyland Hotel complex by the caves? Is it where the nice restaurant by the pool used to be?

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chrisandsarahb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-02 3:43 pm   Permalink

Its in the middle of the Disneyland Hotel, right next door to the Never Land Pool. Here's a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGd4aFEhxNU

View Profile of chrisandsarahb Send a personal message to chrisandsarahb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
carlosrossi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-02 5:07 pm   Permalink

can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DARK&TIKI

[ This Message was edited by: carlosrossi 2011-05-02 19:27 ]

View Profile of carlosrossi Send a personal message to carlosrossi  Goto the website of carlosrossi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-02 6:46 pm   Permalink

Those carvings are classic Oceanic Arts work used in Tiki Temples since the 60s:

This shield was a real popular O.A. item, I even saw it at the Kahiki in Columbus, Ohio:

It's design is taken from the classic B&W "Oceanic Art" book

Ben will note that they are standing/hanging against white walls. But better white walls WITH good Tikis than white walls with NO Tikis.
Glad to see that Disney is continuing its longstanding relationship with O.A. - as the D23 Magazine article notes:
'PASSING THE TIKI TORCH: From the Enchanted Tiki Room to the blockbuster Pirates of the Caribbean films, the work of two laid-back Southern California craftsmen is carved into Disney lore."

The Trader Sam's rendering looks promising too: Beachcomber lamps, Tiki poles, bottle ships and a volcano diorama outside the window.

And "Schweitzer Falls" is a great name for a non-alcoholic cocktail!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trailer Park Casanova

Posted: 2011-05-02 7:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-02 13:21, MauiRose wrote:
Update from the Disney Parks blog:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/05/whats-on-the-menu-at-new-disneyland-hotel-restaurants-opening-may-25/

What’s on the Menu at New Disneyland Hotel Restaurants, Opening May 25

We’ve been sharing details here on the Disney Parks Blog about the new Disneyland Hotel restaurants, Tangaroa Terrace – Casual Island Dining and Trader Sam’s – Enchanted Tiki Bar, and today we’ve got even more to share with you. The biggest news is that both restaurants will open on May 25!

Tangaroa Terrace – Casual Island Dining will feature a tropical setting complete with tiki torches and island music setting the stage for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Guests can start the day with signature breakfast items such as French toast with bacon and warm banana-caramel sauce and grilled cinnamon-spice oatmeal with island fruit.

For lunch and dinner, Tangaroa Terrace – Casual Island Dining will offer a 1/3-pound Angus Hawaiian cheeseburger with teriyaki sauce, bacon, grilled pineapple, Havarti, tomato and lettuce burger on a multi-grain bun. (Can you imagine taking the first messy bite?) For the health conscious, the Asian chicken salad has lots of greens (lettuce, cabbage, carrots, sweet peppers and cucumbers) with chicken breast, cashews and rice noodles in a sesame vinaigrette. The Kalua pork flatbread is topped with pulled pork, barbecue sauce, red onion and fresh cilantro.

Every evening, a different “Island Plate Dinner” will be on the menu. Look for miso-crusted salmon, tamarind-glazed pork shanks or panko-crusted chicken, each served with jasmine rice, panko-crusted long beans and green papaya slaw.

If you’re in a hurry, a “Grab ‘n Go” selection includes yogurt parfait with tropical fruits and house-made granola, a tropical fruit plate, house-made pastries, sandwiches, veggie with dips, a sweet potato cake with guava cream cheese icing, pineapple-lilikoi pie, and “Trader Sam’s Dessert Flight” with pineapple upside-down cake, layered passion fruit with pineapple-coconut crème and chocolate coffee cake.

Trader Sam’s—Enchanted Tiki Bar is adjacent to Tangaroa Terrace – Casual Island Dining, with substantial “bar food” – sweet ‘n spicy Asian wings, chicken lettuce wraps, panko-crusted Chinese long beans with Sriracha mayo, tamarind-glazed pork shanks with green papaya slaw and ahi poke (sushi-grade tuna) with avocado, green onion and crispy wontons.

But it’s the vintage island cocktails in kitschy glassware that we can’t wait to try. How about Krakatoa Punch with reserve aged rum, light rum, tropical juices, almond syrup and hibiscus grenadine? Or Uh Oa!, with light rum, spiced rum, guava, orange, passion fruit, grapefruit, fresh lime juice and cinnamon? Serious rum lovers will want to try the HippopotoMai Tai with two shots of light and dark rums, orange curacao, almond syrup, organic agave nectar and fresh lime juice.

The non-alcoholic Schweitzer Falls is a refreshing blend of pineapple, guava, orange and passion fruit juices with all-spice syrup and a splash of Sprite.

Now we’re dreaming of vacation time!

Fantastic.
Thanks for posting this info.

View Profile of Trailer Park Casanova Send a personal message to Trailer Park Casanova      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-05-03 12:34 am   Permalink

So who else is going there for the opening??
I'm kinda thinking of possibly bringing da kidz over from Maui
and staying a couple nights when they first open...
Looks like a great place..

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-03 09:09 am   Permalink

I'll probably go for the opening night.

Jeff(btd)

Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-03 09:22 am   Permalink

I'll probably go as well. It would be a shame to miss out on an opening of something that could possibly be this amazing!

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-03 09:46 am   Permalink

It's pretty clear that this will not be a place to get authentic tropical drinks from the golden age of tiki....but I could care less! (I don't drink that fruity stuff anyway-blasphemy!)
But the fact that this is Disney....I am there!

Now, does anyone know if they have removed the mist caves that were just south of this area? because I loved going down there after getting plastered at the Lost bar.

"yer jus not tuned into the series of tubes yet, let it soak in".

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2011-05-03 09:46 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mongoloid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-03 10:16 am   Permalink

http://ocresort.ocregister.com/2011/05/03/disneyland-hotel-sets-opening-date-for-eatery-bar/76895/

View Profile of Mongoloid Send a personal message to Mongoloid      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation