FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Don the Beachcomber
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
Don the Beachcomber
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-13 10:25 am   Permalink

Thanks for the compliments! and the chance on a 5 dollar draw knife. I'm told they get better with use so it's a good investment in any case.

More to come!

View Profile of Sunset Mike Send a personal message to Sunset Mike  Email Sunset Mike Goto the website of Sunset Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-13 10:31 am   Permalink

The color is all Teak Oil. Some are clear and others have an amber tinge. Stain does not work well on softer woods like this Schefflera and can be very blotchy even with the application of conditioner. Even with the oil certain areas will be darker than others with softer woods because of absorption in to the cellular structure of the wood. Experimenting is the key!

View Profile of Sunset Mike Send a personal message to Sunset Mike  Email Sunset Mike Goto the website of Sunset Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-02 6:02 pm   Permalink

Gene Simmons would approve!

Cyrpess wood, two tone stain, teak oil finish

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-02 6:04 pm   Permalink

NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-02 6:51 pm   Permalink

IIIIIIIII....WANNNA ROCK AND ROOOLLLL ALLL NIIIIIGHT!!! AND PARTY EVERY DAY!!! KISS FOR THE WINNNNNNNNNNNN!!! Awesome Work...More than KISS approves of this one

Is that a Queen?

View Profile of NIxxon Send a personal message to NIxxon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-03 8:20 pm   Permalink

No, Not palm wood. It is made of Cypress wood.
Nice patterns, attractive wood hues and takes a good finish. Like Pine, It is a little difficult to work with, and has a tendency to split, but I use it when I can find it
The doors of St. Peters Basilica in Rome were made of Italian Cypress, the same as this one and 3 of my other sculptures. The doors lasted for 1100 years and were still intact when replaced with bronze a ways back. These sculptures will not last for years, they will last for centuries!

As always Mahalo for the compliments! and if Gene doesn't care for it Maybe Shannon Tweed will!

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2012-01-03 20:21 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2012-03-25 10:13 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2012-03-25 10:15 ]

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-03 9:21 pm   Permalink

Way cool...

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-06 8:31 pm   Permalink

7 pages of posts and I thought you had just started. You should catch your gallery up and post a photo of every completed work you have ever done. I love Tiki Central and all the art posted here. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-07 9:06 pm   Permalink

Alright Wendy,

I added some to the gallery. But I was really thinking of that for "Available' for sale works, But perhaps that will help. Why not show us a little of your stuff or give me a link?

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-26 8:23 pm   Permalink

Here is a pedestal made from Cypress burl and accentuated by chiseling and teak oil.

No stain, natural wood hues.

I love it!

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-26 8:25 pm   Permalink

Rear View

And in action holding up the Island Girl among current works. Nice weather today!

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-10 9:22 pm   Permalink

Stumped Again!
This is an interesting burl I am converting into a pedestal. I will post as it progresses.

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-11 10:43 am   Permalink

Yeah, that second stump is much cooler. Nice find.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-11 8:21 pm   Permalink

Bark removed. This piece will be define shaped using a gouge chisel only. It is the work of an Artist far beyond any of us!

And, Yes! It was quite a find! I'll have to inquire what kind of tree it is. But it's local out of Long Beach.

[ This Message was edited by: Sunset Mike 2012-03-11 20:23 ]

Sunset Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-23 9:48 pm   Permalink

It's Elm wood!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation