FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki QUINN'S mystery mugs....anyone know anything about these?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
QUINN'S mystery mugs....anyone know anything about these?
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-16 6:35 pm   Permalink

There use to be a Quinn's "tiki" sunset bar at the Sheraton Tahiti.
I don't know if it is still open.
Good luck!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-16 7:06 pm   Permalink

thanks!! i bought that same album on ebay a few days ago along with the postcard that dusty posted....starting to get my quinn's collection going....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-16 7:20 pm   Permalink

Tipsy,

Glad you started this thread, had been meaning to do one on Quinn's some day. Pretty famous place for not having anything on TC.

Here is another photo of the exterior.

You gotta love the old-school swinging saloon doors on the joint. Easier to throw the riff-raff out!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-16 7:35 pm   Permalink

I just noticed after looking at the B & W photo that the columns holding the arcade roof up are carved.... TIKIS! Quinn's was a Tiki bar!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-16 8:58 pm   Permalink

Higher res. of Quinn's at Sheraton's, Tahiti

"Named after an early explorer, Quinn's Bar takes you back to yesteryear. Live music and fresh tropical drinks or your favorite cocktail are served."

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-16 9:04 pm   Permalink

And we have a Tiki!!! Woo-hoo!!!
Dusty you are the best. no riff-raff.

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-06-22 7:53 pm   Permalink

This ashtray is also marked Mayer China Company

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-22 9:06 pm   Permalink

I figured there had to be an ashtray out there from Quinn's and it figures that Bongofury has one. Thanks for the post.

DC

jl1186

Posted: 2012-06-02 5:36 pm   Permalink

You all may be interested in reading this rather funny piece about Quinn's:

http://holidaymag.wordpress.com/2012/06/02/the-toughest-bar-in-the-world-by-randolph-wolfe-may-1968/

View Profile of jl1186 Send a personal message to jl1186      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-04 2:40 pm   Permalink

I read that the Quinn's Bar in the Sheraton Tahiti was named for the infamous former nightspot. Alas, the Sheraton Tahiti is also no more.
Just speculatin', here:
I wonder if the mugs and ashtrays were from the Sheraton incarnation, copying the iconic bamboo sign. To me, it seems less likely the original Quinn's would have ordered logo ashtrays and coffee mugs from Pennsylvania. Or from anywhere. I don't think there would have been much point in them investing extra money in nice items that would quickly be stolen or broken (probably over someone's head!). And it's not like their usual clientele would've been impressed.
Unless, maybe they ordered them specifically to sell to tourists, never for actual use in the place.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-04 2:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-04 14:40, Limbo Lizard wrote:
I read that the Quinn's Bar in the Sheraton Tahiti was named for the infamous former nightspot. Alas, the Sheraton Tahiti is also no more.
Just speculatin', here:
I wonder if the mugs and ashtrays were from the Sheraton incarnation, copying the iconic bamboo sign. To me, it seems less likely the original Quinn's would have ordered logo ashtrays and coffee mugs from Pennsylvania. Or from anywhere. I don't think there would have been much point in them investing extra money in nice items that would quickly be stolen or broken (probably over someone's head!). And it's not like their usual clientele would've been impressed.

this sounds right on target.... the dishware has to be from the sheraton....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-04 3:20 pm   Permalink

I may have been too hasty, after all...

As best I can determine, the Sheraton Tahiti was first opened in 1960, then "completely rebuilt in July 1999 with Polynesian-style architecture, including thatched roofs". This would probably have been when they added their "Quinn's". That would be too late for any Mayer China with "Beaver Falls" on it. Mayer had been acquired by Syracuse China in '84, and their production was consolidated to a plant in New York in the early '90s.

(A time machine would sure be handy for figuring these things out! I wish someone from the future would send one back, for us to use for a while. )

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2012-06-04 15:49 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-01 7:12 pm   Permalink

Quinn's was originally called "Quinn's Tahitian Hut".

Great street scene!

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-06 11:57 am   Permalink

Thanks DC for pointing out this nice night exterior shot of Quinn's:

The historic importance of the place seems to have been somewhat underrated by the time this photo circulated among American news services (in 1976), judging by the caption scribbled on its back :

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Juan Lago

Posted: 2013-04-19 9:38 pm   Permalink

I was lucky that our family visited Tahiti in 1968 when I was 12. I have returned 4 times, and on my last visit, I met the retired fire captain who said he was on duty when Quinn's bar burned down.
I have the record LP that is pictured at the top of this thread, and it's incredible! My parents bought in on that trip. We stayed at Club Med on Moorea, (now gone as well), and every night a band called Tai and his Mustang Band played. They were like Tahitian Beatles! They played Tahitian music on electric guitars and drums. I'll never forget it! I wish I had recordings of that band!
Incidentally, if you're a private pilot, you can rent airplanes from a flying club at the FAAA Airport, get a temporary license, and fly over the most beautiful scenery in the world!

View Profile of Juan Lago Send a personal message to Juan Lago      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation