FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts TikiG's Gallery of Paintings
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
TikiG's Gallery of Paintings
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-15 9:23 pm   Permalink

Aloha Tiki Peeps!

I've received a request to post an in-progress photo of my latest painting(s)if possible. This afternoon I started a two-part project, both paintings will be on 2' x 4' press-board panels each prepared with black gesso and then layered with a thin coat of commercial black acrylic paint. Both images will be that of nude Polynesian wahine.

I'm going for the black-velvet look the goal being accomplished without the pain and suffering that real black-velvet requires from me. I consider these form studies to be painted loosely but with intent of depth and beauty and yes with a nod to master Leeteg.

So here you go - I'm one hour into this painting so far. Pic taken without flash then enhanced slightly.
Taking a TV break now and will resume painting in the morning...

What do you think?
What would be a cool background - if any?

My goal is a classic mid-century feel. Thanks for stopping by and participating in advance. Cheers! G

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-09-16 07:54 am   Permalink

How about a beach towel for a back ground? Or a surf board

Been enjoying seeing all your paintings, G!

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-16 08:52 am   Permalink

Those are big ones! (the paintings you perverts! ) I always love to see the progress on paintings. I see her as just stepped out of the ocean from a quick dip, wringing out her hair.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-09 12:21 pm   Permalink

Aloha TC!

I've been busy with the paints lately, given my unemployed status its really nice to have all the time required to just relax and see how random ideas turn into reality.

I have a handful of new paintings to post so I'll just start with this one...I hope you like this one as much as I liked painting it.

"Today's Find"
Acrylics on 9" x 12" canvas panel.
October 2010.

Image based on Margaret Keane's "No Dogs Allowed" painting. I know you remember the Keane big eyes paintings of the 60s - she still paints them to this day.

More TikiG paintings to post soon. Cheers! G

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-09 1:02 pm   Permalink

Aloha!

As per a few requests I've received on Facebook asking to show how I make custom bamboo frames for my art -
here's my process and a look at the finished product...

Press-board. Bought in 2' x 4' sheets at Home Depot. Approx. 1/8" thick. Shown prepped in white gesso.

Bamboo stash. Hand cut pieces direct from a local river-bottom where bamboo grows wild everywhere. Cut in random lengths that fit in the car (approx. 6' lengths x 1" diameter average).

TikiG painting (Duke Study #3) and ruler for measuring.

TikiG looks for a single bamboo piece that is suitable for this project.

Detail of press-board cut lines. Notice press-board cut lines are extended 1/2" around perimeter of canvas panel.

Cut press-board piece ready for bamboo.

Bamboo pieces hand-cut, with 45 degree ends. I use a commercially available plastic miter box w/hand-saw bought at Home Depot.

Detail of gluing process. I use "Liquid Nails" adhesive and caulking gun. This stuff works fantastic.

Corner detail showing rope finish. This is a single strand - I could use more strands if wanted. I kept this simple.

Finished bamboo frame finished with a spray coating of glossy sealer. The painting justs pops in between the bamboo, has a tight fit and may be removed later if required. Looks pretty cool.

I hope you find this post informative and helpful. If you require a bamboo frame for a special project at a very reasonable price - contact me. Cheers! G

tiki since '67!

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-09 1:48 pm   Permalink

Nice, G! I love that you're using personally harvested wild local bamboo.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-09 6:13 pm   Permalink

Cool step-by-steps! Thanks G!

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-10-09 6:13 pm   Permalink

Beautiful frame Greg. Simple, yet well executed.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tobor64
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-10-09 10:34 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the frame tutorial, 'G. I'll have to try it sometime.

View Profile of Tobor64 Send a personal message to Tobor64      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-20 5:20 pm   Permalink

Waves look really good G. And the frame is a perfect compliment.

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-20 7:19 pm   Permalink

Thanks TC peeps for the nice feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed my bamboo-framing lesson.

Jason! - missed ya at Tiki Ti and the Tiki Farm party last Saturday.

WELL - I've been busy painting for the past week or so since my last TikiG art post - I present four new pieces. Three for the fun of it (no art show deadline for me) and one for a friend. Enjoy!

"Who's Sorry Now?"
Acrylics on 14" x 21.5" wood panel.
October 2010.

"Rhythm in Yellow"
Acrylics on 12" x 16" canvas panel.
October 2010.

"Can't You See I'm Trippin?"
Acrylics on 12" x 16" canvas panel.
October 2010.

"Sabu's Portrait"
Acrylics on 9" x 12" canvas panel.
October 2010.
A continuation of my TikiG "Birds of Paradise" series.

That's all for tonight. Dig it you tiki monsters and Happy Halloween! if I don't get back here before November. Cheers! G

tiki since '67!

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-21 7:03 pm   Permalink

WOWWOWOOWOWOWOWOOWOWOOWWWWWWW!
Haven't seen a lot of these!

"Can't You See I'm Trippin?"
hilarious!
and now you're making frames?!??!!?
Right on!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-21 7:12 pm   Permalink

Thanks brutha Kinney!

Art is what happens post trip I suppose (truthfully? pre/during/post trip)

now git...git back to paintins' Mr. Ruzik - youse has a show around the corner - times is FLYIN!!

tiki since '67!

TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-28 4:40 pm   Permalink

Aloha tiki brothers and sisters!

Its been a while since I've posted a new painting, so here it is - hope you dig it:

"This Tiki's Life is Ruff"
Acrylics on 16" x 20" canvas panel.
November 2010.
Thanks must be given to Tiki Russ and his doggie for the inspiration...inspiration is found everywhere!

First in a series of TikiG tiki & space paintings I'm currently working on. On to the next. Thanks for looking. G

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-28 5:21 pm   Permalink

Greg, I missed your previous posting, very cool. Tell us a little of the inspiration for "Who's Sorry Now".

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation