FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Birds of the Pacific - TC Art Swap!!!! Its on again!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
Birds of the Pacific - TC Art Swap!!!! Its on again!
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-05 6:28 pm   Permalink

Aloha! Tiki Central Brothers and Sisters -

Here is the link to my "Bird of the Pacific- Part Two" fresh off the easel tonight. This painting completes my two-piece offering for this swap. Dig it!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=459672&l=3bee8b11b1&id=100000151681492

I'm like, you know, really in love with all of the art-works posted on this thread so far. Better yet, I know there are a few pieces in the works right now that are gonna knock us off our chairs when unveiled by their creators. Have fun everybody and let's applause each other for a job well done G

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-05 6:47 pm   Permalink

I hope you don't mind that I keep making stuff and posting pictures - these Swaps inspire me and I hope my enthusiasm will be contagious

HORNBILL FACTS - Did you know that the scientific name for the hornbill family, Bucerotidae, comes from the Greek word "buceros" for "cow horn"?
Well, I'm about out of Hornbill ideas. (Well maybe just one more watercolor painting?) Hornbill #6 is kind of a "throw-away" project, but maybe my Swap partner just DREAMS of a piece like this An 8x8 inch convex wallhanging, the design was inspired by a Papua New Guinea ancestor board. The colors are flat underglaze with a paste wax finish giving it very little sheen to retain the natural pigment look.

Babalu got my Hornbill #2 fired. You can see subtle pink and greys in the white areas, these will have a mother of pearl overglaze on them to hopefully look like shell inlay. (edit- new pic)

I've got my sights set on a new bird; the Frogmouth Owl. I'm working on a project tonight, we'll see what happens

I told my wife "Look at this HIDEOUS bird" She said "Oh, how CUTE!" So now I'm trying to make one

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2010-08-20 13:59 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-05 7:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-08-05 18:28, TikiG wrote:
Aloha! Tiki Central Brothers and Sisters -

Here is the link to my "Bird of the Pacific- Part Two" fresh off the easel tonight. This painting completes my two-piece offering for this swap. Dig it!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=459672&l=3bee8b11b1&id=100000151681492

I'm like, you know, really in love with all of the art-works posted on this thread so far. Better yet, I know there are a few pieces in the works right now that are gonna knock us off our chairs when unveiled by their creators. Have fun everybody and let's applause each other for a job well done G

I like your style, simple, elegant and to the point! You should do an entire line of Pacific Birds! LOL

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-05 7:54 pm   Permalink

Mike - nice stuff, as usual! That owl looks like a cross between an ostrich and an eagle! Funny!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-05 8:01 pm   Permalink

Greg, I had missed your posting - great style and it's hilarious. A perfectly matched set!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-06 10:23 am   Permalink

I have a confession to make; I've been on vacation from work for the past 2 weeks and I've squandered a good part of that time off making bird ceramics!!! - But I loved every minute of it, so relaxing. I give Buzzy crap because he carves tikis in his living room but my wife lets me play with mud in the kitchen, I guess I don't have much room to talk

Here's the Papuan Frogmouth Owl I started last evening, it'll get some clean-up as it dries. The construction was a bit of a stretch for me- I usually find or make some sort of a form and mold the clay around it. This one I coiled and pinched to get the shape I wanted. I'm not sure what it's purpose will be - it's only about 1 1/2 inch deep, if nothing else it would make a great ashtray

Edit - I'm already hogging up this thread, I didn't want to bump it again but here's my Frogmouth with some underglaze painted on. Maybe ready to go in the kiln tomorrow?

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2010-08-08 07:55 ]

amybean
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-08-06 10:46 am   Permalink

Adorable! I was wondering how you managed a full time job, cooking like a pro and all those new pieces. Mystery revealed! Time well spent, I'd say.

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-07 07:54 am   Permalink

Yes Amy, I say it was time well spent - great vacation! But starting Tuesday ya'all are gonna have to provide your own content for this thread 'cuz I have to go back to work

HORNBILL FACTS - Did you know that the flapping of a hornbill's wings can be heard up to a mile away?
I thought I was out of Hornbill ideas and BAM! I remembered something I had stashed in my Ceramics Inspiration folder - a PNG Sepik River Fighting Horn. These side-blown trumpet were used on hunting expeditions and head-hunting forays. Mine is about 10 inches long while the real ones are about 30 inches long. The tone probably won't be as rich but you can use it to summon the bartender at your favorite tiki bar (bartenders love that!). This will need lots of cleanup as it dries.

zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-07 09:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

Wow! That looks pretty cool!

Tiki Tower
The Art of Robert Jimenez
http://www.tikitower.com

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-08-07 10:20 am   Permalink

For sure that is a cool thing, and I'm sure that bartenders love it! haha

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-07 4:17 pm   Permalink

Wow Mike, you are a one man art show. All your submissions are super good and fun and wonderful. I'm inspired to get busy. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-15 8:58 pm   Permalink

Thanks Wendy

HORNBILL FACTS - Did you know that one species of hornbills is known to go out foraging with mongooses? The mongooses help the hornbills stir up insects and the hornbills help warn the mongooses of approaching danger.

Hornbill #7 is done, the Sepik River Fighting Horn (Hornbill is on top of the guy's head). It won't beat a good conch shell but it has a nice tone, perfect for summoning your woman in the jungle or the bartender at you local watering hole. About 10 inches tall and 3 inches in diameter.

My Papuan Frogmouth Owl candy dish is done too. 7x6x3 inches

I'm working on Hornbill #8, a watercolor painting entitled "Monday Morning in Baining". I'm not a painter but I had done this same painting
earlier and wanted to see if I could improve on it, so I sought some professional advice (I won't say who it was because he may not want to be associated with this painting - but his initials are LLT ) He gave me some tips (and some supplies), I wish he could have given me some of his talent!

I am thinking of a creative way to frame it. Overall I like "improved" version better, but there are a couple of things I liked better on the original. (Edit - new photo posted, better color rendition)

Vacation is over so my artflow will slow down, give some of you a chance to catch up

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2010-08-16 07:17 ]

zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-16 10:02 am   Permalink

Wow Mike! IMO, that is a huge improvement over the first! Love the more subdued palette and the shadow interaction between the bird and the mask is very good! I think you should try painting more!

Tiki Tower
The Art of Robert Jimenez
http://www.tikitower.com

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-20 7:32 pm   Permalink

My GOD Mike! I get a job and don't get on TC for like two weeks and BAM! there you are all over the place! Your frogmouth owl "candy dish" is really cute! And I like your big ten inch...uh, horn?! Very cool! Sorry you had to go back to work - I'm just glad to be working again!

ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-23 8:15 pm   Permalink

Back from Oasis.....
Okay!! I'll do the swap!!

This is all your doing, MDM...
~Z.

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation