FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Birds of the Pacific - TC Art Swap!!!! Its on again!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
Birds of the Pacific - TC Art Swap!!!! Its on again!
Melekalikimaka
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-06 3:59 pm   Permalink

I'm not sure if this is finished yet, but here's what I've done so far...

Of course this is an extreme close up... SUGGESTIONS??

View Profile of Melekalikimaka Send a personal message to Melekalikimaka  Email Melekalikimaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-06 4:01 pm   Permalink

I wanted to find the most perfect bird for this swap. So I went to Amazon.com.
I found and bought this book.

I thought it would have wonderful photos. Instead every page looks like this.

Not one picture or drawing in the entire book. Back to the drawing board. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-06 4:04 pm   Permalink

Melekimikimaka, just guessing on the spelling, I'm just home from work and I am too tired to write it down. I can feel that bird is looking at me. I think we all love Loarkeets they are just beautiful and so is your painting. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melekalikimaka
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-06 4:56 pm   Permalink

thank you... i do see a couple of areas I need to add a little more detailing, but you know how it can be when you over analyzing a piece.

Glad you like it.

Hope it pleases the swap-ee??

View Profile of Melekalikimaka Send a personal message to Melekalikimaka  Email Melekalikimaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-06 5:04 pm   Permalink

ALoooHA All!

Those who know me best, realize I'm over my head with a myriad of home renovations, work tasks & travel assignments... BUT I must have a creative release to battle stress too! Sooo to satisfy my "natural urges" I've decided to fly into aviary paradiso like a dodo...

Everyone that participates is a winner and a lot of fun to be had by all!! In the spirit of swaps past, it's all about the tease...followed by many others...and a BIG reveal. Well, this time around, peeps are sharing their concept scratchings... sooo that is what I will do too!

Now what will be most challenging is to nurture this idea, give it wings and see if it will fly?!!

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melekalikimaka
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-06 6:19 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kudos, Wendy!

After a few minor touch-ups, I officially deemed the painting complete! Not bad for my first Tiki Central artistic submission. I admire all of the artists on here, and find myself admiring mo

Yes, I finished this way early; however, I have quite a busy summer planned with company summer events, trips to see the grandchild and business trips, so I thought I would get a head start.

I'm looking forward to seeing more swap entries! Everything is so awesome! I would be proud to own any single one of them!

Aloha, all...and enjoy.

zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-06 6:45 pm   Permalink

Nice job Melekimikimaka! Nothing wrong with getting your swap piece done before summer passes!

Tiki Tower
The Art of Robert Jimenez
http://www.tikitower.com

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-06 7:28 pm   Permalink

Very nice Mele! Did you add some background color after the first pic?

Jones, I know you are all about the "tease" and the "big reveal". I saw the tease for the headhunter swap but I hadn't seen the big reveal until a few days ago - way cool!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melekalikimaka
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-06 7:42 pm   Permalink

Thanks! As for the background color... I think it was a bit wet the first pic, but the actual color is a dark green...then I sprayed it with Matte finish.

The last minute touch ups were the pure cobalt blue, orange and a few highlights.

It's displayed in my livingroom until shipment time!!

pennjones
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-06 8:06 pm   Permalink

So I started this about 2 weeks ago, but the clay is being fired tonight. They will be attatched to the piece. I realized after I created it that the toucan isn't really a Pacific island bird, so I may not end up sending this piece in for the trade. I guess it depends on how it turns out! Anyway, here's some pictures.

View Profile of pennjones Send a personal message to pennjones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-07 07:26 am   Permalink

Nice start PennJones. Is that a skateboard deck?

EDIT - If you want, change the beak & lengthen the tail and you've got a hornbill

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2010-07-07 08:42 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-07 08:31 am   Permalink

Great stuff so far, 4 pages, WOW.

I have a concept but haven't started yet.

@pennjones,
TOUCAN add it to the swap as far as I'm concerned

@Tiki Bai, that mug is pure win.

@Mele,
Very nice painting, Pretty realistic for an abstract painter

[ This Message was edited by: Badd Tiki 2010-07-07 08:34 ]

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-07 10:47 am   Permalink

I'm feeling like a slacker. Oh wait we have 2 MONTHS to go. There is some really cool stuff so far!! I think I have a plan, now all I have to is pick a piece of wood. Sketched in my head but not on paper - sorry.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-07 11:06 am   Permalink

GO TOM!!!

OK folks, I have my first bird-themed offering. I can't image it will be the most popular item but who knows, maybe my Swap partner will say "That's exactly what I've been looking for!"

A Papua New Guinea Warrior Back Ornament with a hornbill skull and wild boar tusks!
(EDIT - I wrapped some colored thread around the tusks for a little color. new picture posted )

Made of polymer clay, inspired by this piece found at the Bower;s Museum in Santa Ana CA.

From the museum display card: "Huli people, Southern Highlands Province. The hornbill is a very important species to people of the Highlands that is hunted for it's feathers as well as their stunningly beautiful beaks. Worn of the backs of warriors, the combination of the beak, boar's tusks and fiber necklace makes this men's jewelry piece particularly breathtaking when seen on the men as they come together as a group of often a hundred at a time to perforn the drum dance"

I decided to do the whole skull to add a bit of added drama. Look for this to show up on MadDog's TC Christmas card

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2010-07-07 16:22 ]

amybean
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-07-07 11:16 am   Permalink

Love it, MDM! Hope I win it.

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation