FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Birds of the Pacific - TC Art Swap!!!! Its on again!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
Birds of the Pacific - TC Art Swap!!!! Its on again!
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-11 07:58 am   Permalink

^ that looks awesome Mike! I'm almost done with my Mermaid, after that I will work on my swap piece!

Tiki Tower
The Art of Robert Jimenez
http://www.tikitower.com

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-11 08:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-10 21:26, MadDogMike wrote:
Hornbill #2 in progress

Plan to add a pedestal/legs, we'll see how that goes

Very nice start on this one Mike.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-11 10:14 am   Permalink

This is shaping up to be the best swap yet. I'm still waiting for my book of pacific island birds "with photos" to arrive. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-11 12:19 pm   Permalink

Mike, your hornbill carving reminded me of this:

It's a loon bowl my dad carved back in '99 based on a Northwest Native design. I guess it could be considered a bird from the Pacific though!

Looking forward to seeing how you decorate yours!

Jeez I just realized it's time to dust again! LOL

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-11 6:39 pm   Permalink

That's interesting. MadDogMike and your dad are both talented. Wendy

[ This Message was edited by: danlovestikis 2010-07-13 19:45 ]

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-11 6:56 pm   Permalink

Well, here goes....step 1:

Tiki Tower

View Profile of zerostreet Send a personal message to zerostreet  Email zerostreet Goto the website of zerostreet     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pennjones
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-11 9:16 pm   Permalink

Well, here's a sneak peak at my piece so far. I don't know if I'm adding it to the swap yet, as a toucan isn't really a bird of the pacific, but then again, this isn't your ordinary toucan. So I don't know. Let me know what you think so far! Aloha! -Brad

View Profile of pennjones Send a personal message to pennjones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-11 10:36 pm   Permalink

HORNBILL FACT - Did you know that hornbill beaks were highly treasured by emperors in ancient China where they carved like ivory?

I needed a base big enough to support the weight of the ceramic bowl so I used a cone similar to what I have seen on other Salomon Island feast bowls. Then a black and white geometric pattern glaze. I'm hoping to use mother of pearl luster to achieve the look of shell inlay

Thank you all for your kind comments - these Swaps are so much fun

Bead, I have been accused of being crazy as a loon!

Pennjones, great looking Toucan. At the risk of offending the "anti-Caribbean crowd" I say keep it in the Swap. I did look up the Toucan range and they don't even make it to the Pacific coast of South America, let alone to Oceania. But there is a Toucan in the Disneyland Tiki Room and I'm sure that ceramic or papier-mâché Toucans can be found hanging in the rafters of many respectable tiki bars.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-12 9:18 pm   Permalink

HORNBILL FACTS - Did you know that the hornbill's long eyelashes are actually modified feathers?

In my excitement to make my hornbill bowl I forgot to take into consideration the size of my kiln - it won't fit!
HELP BABALU!!!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-12 10:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-12 21:18, MadDogMike wrote:
HORNBILL FACTS - Did you know that the hornbill's long eyelashes are actually modified feathers?

In my excitement to make my hornbill bowl I forgot to take into consideration the size of my kiln - it won't fit!
HELP BABALU!!!

Is that like your eyes being bigger than your stomach?! Ooops!

View Profile of beadtiki Send a personal message to beadtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-13 07:35 am   Permalink

[quote]
[i]On 2010-07-12 21:18, MadDogMike wrote:[/i]
[b]HORNBILL FACTS - Did you know that the hornbill's long eyelashes are actually modified feathers?[/b]

In my excitement to make my hornbill bowl I forgot to take into consideration the size of my kiln - it won't fit! :o
HELP BABALU!!! :lol:

[/quote]

Sure Mike, bring him on over. :-)

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melekalikimaka
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-13 4:40 pm   Permalink

Wow...everything looks so awesome! While in Oklahoma, I went to the OK zoo and they had a lorikeet cage! I have a great picture of my granddaughter right next to one!

Can't wait until September!

[ This Message was edited by: Melekalikimaka 2010-07-13 16:41 ]

View Profile of Melekalikimaka Send a personal message to Melekalikimaka  Email Melekalikimaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zerostreet
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-13 7:41 pm   Permalink

Honeycreeper in progress. Decided on a bunch of changes...

Tiki Tower

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-13 9:48 pm   Permalink

Is that the one that started out all orange? Painting just makes no sense to me! Cool looking Honeycreeper Zerostreet!

beadtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-14 01:06 am   Permalink

Wow! I wish I could paint (other than Paint by Number, which I'm REALLY good at!). Looks great Zerostreet!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation